Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is

Isn't he like a RH version of Nurse?
His defensive game improved under Torts but he's also had the freewheeling part of his game completely neutered. He also had some issues with COVID IIRC.

For whatever reason I've always been a fan of him. And at under $3m, there's a really good chance he'd be a value add assuming the cost was low.

Reminder that Tyler Myers looked like a stud D in the Vancouver series.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yeah Bob mentioned Risto a little while ago I think with Seravalli. There would have to be significant retention and Philly I think is maxed out on retention spots so they'd have to drag another team into it.

I really don't know what to think. You'd think the cost would be pretty low.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wouldn’t mind him. But is this really a rumour? This guy who wrote the article just gave a proposal and he said on Oilers Now Bob mentioned his name some times.
It's just connecting dots after Stauffer's comments. But, it is interesting just because it's a name we don't think about, and Philly is a motivated seller who might even retain a lot. Imo the much better and more likely target is Andersson but the fewer names we consider, the lower the odds we find anyone.

I could easily see us getting outbid for Andersson

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
His defensive game improved under Torts but he's also had the freewheeling part of his game completely neutered. He also had some issues with COVID IIRC.

For whatever reason I've always been a fan of him. And at under $3m, there's a really good chance he'd be a value add assuming the cost was low.

Reminder that Tyler Myers looked like a stud D in the Vancouver series.
There's another concern that he's had surgery and missed some time

I get that Risto is less than ideal. But I also think we could have him if we wanted. I doubt that with other names out there

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There's another concern that he's had surgery and missed some time

I get that Risto is less than ideal. But I also think we could have him if we wanted. I doubt that with other names out there
Yep. I feel the same way about Trouba as well.

I get the messageboard hope to get the best quality add possible. But I think we're at a point where we need to prioritize things like cap commitment and cost of acquisition.

I'd rather pay less for someone who simply gets the job done at a position with a weak trade market if it allowed us to have the assets necessary to be in on the 'Matt Savoies' that might shake loose.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Outside of Forsling and Ekblad (who was terrible in the Finals, Nurse was way better than him), Florida's D is

Kulikov - 1.15 mill, turns 34 in a few weeks
Nikko Mikkola - 2.5 mill
Nate Schmidt - 800k, turning 34
Adam Boqvist - 800k, bargain barrel reclaimation project
Uvis Balinskis - 850k

200.gif

This isn't even that uncommon for "contending teams", after the top 2-3 D a lot of teams, even supposed contenders are icing soup cans.

It's all about your systems play + coaching in a cap world.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Listening to a Craig Conroy interview. He's a dickhead who thinks he knows more than everyone just like a dickheaded Kevin Lowe. The Flames got their very own Mini-Lowe.

I hope it gets leaked exactly what the Oilers offered for Chris Tanev.

Nobody wants Ty Emberson to succeed as much as myself. We need to stay realistic. A lot is riding on his development. Don't treat the player like a veteran. That's a mistake.
What did conroy say?

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Outside of Forsling and Ekblad (who was terrible in the Finals, Nurse was way better than him), Florida's D is

Nikko Mikkola - 2.5 mill
Uvis Balinskis - 850k

200.gif

This isn't even that uncommon for "contending teams", after the top 2-3 D a lot of teams, even supposed contenders are icing soup cans.

It's not the same. You should be comparing the Florida team that started last year to this Oilers team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not the same. You should be comparing the Florida team that started last year to this Oilers team.

They're still expected to be a Cup contender and a top team, HFBoards "experts" were clowning on the Panthers D a couple of years ago saying they had now one of the worst d-corps in the NHL with Weegar (Treliving fleeced them!!!! Summer of Brad!!! lol how f***ing stupid) and Gudas gone, and "joke" fillers like Montour (can't play teh Deeeee) brought in.

Welp, how'd that work out.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They're still expected to be a Cup contender and a top team, HFBoards "experts" were clowning on the Panthers D a couple of years ago saying they had now one of the worst d-corps in the NHL with Weegar (Treliving fleeced them!!!! Summer of Brad!!! lol how f***ing stupid) and Gudas gone, and "joke" fillers like Montour (can't play teh Deeeee) brought in.

Welp, how'd that work out.
Okay but the difference is that Florida is identifying pieces that actually fit and exceed expectations. The Oilers organization hasn’t managed to do that yet. Hopefully Emberson can be the first sign of that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Okay but the difference is that Florida is identifying pieces that actually fit and exceed expectations. The Oilers organization hasn’t managed to do that yet. Hopefully Emberson can be the first sign of that.

The honest truth is the Oilers don't need to do as much as other teams. They have two nuclear bombs at the top of their roster and a player in Bouchard who is breaking out into stardom.

I don't think people realize what a freaking gift might have fallen into their laps with this Knoblaugh/Coffey hire.

This team IMO would still be wandering the wilds and not learning how to play any kind of structured hockey under Woodcroft if Ekholm and McDavid didn't get hurt right at the start of the season last year.

In hindsight, thank goodness that happened because who knows how many years we would have wasted with Woodcroft just being "good enough to score our way to wins".

I also think there should be some expectation on Stuart Skinner now. You're not a kid anymore, we've officially crossed that threshold, he now has big game experience in games that many other goalie's can only dream of. Sophomore time is over. Time to take your game to another level, I want .910+ minimum in the regular season and .905 or better minimum in the playoffs.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The honest truth is the Oilers don't need to do as much as other teams. They have two nuclear bombs at the top of their roster and a player in Bouchard who is breaking out into stardom.

I don't think people realize what a freaking gift might have fallen into their laps with this Knoblaugh/Coffey hire.

This team IMO would still be wandering the wilds and not learning how to play any kind of structured hockey under Woodcroft if Ekholm and McDavid didn't get hurt right at the start of the season last year.

In hindsight, thank goodness that happened because who knows how many years we would have wasted with Woodcroft just being "good enough to score our way to wins".

I also think there should be some expectation on Stuart Skinner now. You're not a kid anymore, we've officially crossed that threshold, he now has big game experience in games that many other goalie's can only dream of. Sophomore time is over. Time to take your game to another level, I want .910+ minimum in the regular season and .905 or better minimum in the playoffs.
The honest truth is the Oilers had Drai, McDavid and Bouchard (the latter two breaking records held by Gretzky and Orr) and we still lost to Florida. We saw first hand that our defense still wasn’t good enough with Ceci in the top 4 and we are praying Emberson can be a miracle add.

Reactions: McHelpus

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The honest truth is the Oilers had Drai, McDavid and Bouchard (the latter two breaking records held by Gretzky and Orr) and we still lost to Florida. We saw first hand that our defense still wasn’t good enough with Ceci in the top 4 and we are praying Emberson can be a miracle add.

That's not really true, nobody has held Florida to fewer goals than we did in the playoffs.

In the last 4 games in particular their offense completely had the life sucked out of it, barely being able to average 2 goals per game.

We did the same thing to Vancouver, Dallas, and LA ... every one of those series we completely dismantled the opponents offense the longer each series went on.

One series you can maybe do by fluke, but four? Including even the Cup champs? Nah, that isn't a fluke on top of that with Knoblaugh we were 6th best in goals against in the regular season.

People just handwaving all of this away like it's some minor thing are hilarious, this is a massive change for the Oilers.

Florida won mainly because they had less nerves in game 1/2 due to a prior Finals experience and because Draisaitl and Kane were basically both unable to score/play.

We didn't just fancy pants score our way into the Finals, we played very good D even with some bad stretches, Knoblaugh and Coffey made adjustments in every series that eventually yielded results.

If you give me a game 7 and say the opponent will max out with 2 goals ... I'll take that every day of the week.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I thought Oilers didn't get Tanev because he also chose Dallas over Edmonton.

Anyone of Andersson, Weegar, Zub would solidify our backend.
Since Rasmus is a guy I'd love here in Vancouver I'm hoping my allegiance won't be held against me, I'm just a fan of trade talk and not here to troll.
With that being said I just can't see a path that isn't overtly convoluted for you guys to be able to get him while the opposite is true for the nucks.

The first comparison is cap space, you guys have 900k for sure, we have 2.4 million. No GM is going to use kane's LTIR because he's not going to be out all year, while Poolman 100% will be.

Then there's assets, you guys have no 1st this year we do and we also have 3-4 guys two in particular that can be used while the guy you got from the Sabres seems redundent in the flames prospect pool but is still a valuable piece but I think Lekkerimakki or Willander are more enticing. Personally I'd rather just do two firsts and a lesser prospect but who knows what the flames would want package wise.

Lastly With likely multiple teams interested and with all the above why would Conroy trade with the oilers when there's plenty of other teams that aren't provincial rivals.
If no other team was interested or the oilers blew him away maybe but that's unlikely given you have no first, and a bit so good prospect pool.

It's all moot tho since unless Kane and some doctors are willing to lie his cap hit won't be off the books all year.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Losing a game 7 in the SCF with 1 goal is not telling me our D wasn't good enough.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Andersson is a little overrated IMO, the Oilers took him to the cleaners in that Oilers-Flames series in 2022.

The only two D they had they kept their head above water in that series were Zadarov and Tanev, every other one of their D got completely dummied.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Andersson is a little overrated IMO, the Oilers took him to the cleaners in that Oilers-Flames series in 2022.

The only two D they had they kept their head above water in that series were Zadarov and Tanev, every other one of their D got completely dummied.
He would probably be our 3rd best defenseman. If we could get him at a reasonable price we should add him. The problem is that I don't see us getting him at a reasonable price.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Done. We have a multi-year window to win now, he would fit in extremely well.
Ottawa isn't trading him sadly and he has no desire to play out west.
Genuinely curious where the cap space is coming from? Do you guys really think Kane will miss the entire season, or willingly commit insurance fraud along with doctors as well? Not trying to be a dick I just don't see where the cap is coming from.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ottawa isn't trading him sadly and he has no desire to play out west.
Genuinely curious where the cap space is coming from? Do you guys really think Kane will miss the entire season, or willingly commit insurance fraud along with doctors as well? Not trying to be a dick I just don't see where the cap is coming from.

Someone is gone from there if they miss the playoffs again because clearly whatever the f*** they're trying to do isn't working. Also the Oilers can acquire a 4-8 million D (based on retention) just on acruing cap space alone. With 13 forwards, 942k becomes over 4 million in usable cap at the deadline.

Nick Jensen would be another solid target.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Someone is gone from there if they miss the playoffs again because clearly whatever the f*** they're trying to do isn't working. Also the Oilers can acquire a 4-8 million D (based on retention) just on acruing cap space alone. With 13 forwards, 942k becomes over 4 million in usable cap at the deadline.

Nick Jensen would be another solid target.

I've heard 2024 Nick Jenson is no longer a solid option

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Podkolzin could surprise me, but Ryan and Perry have both lost a step. The lack of speed is concerning especially when on the road vs an unfavourable matchup.
I don't expect Ryan and Perry to play full seasons. But in the end the fact that a guy like Hamblin could step in for 31 games and not look out of place tells you most of what you need to know about how much 4th lines really contribute. Moreover, with Kane back in the line up one of Janmark or Brown moves down. So you already have at least one guy who is a very high end 4th liner at full strength. So regardless of how each of us feels about the quality of the current 4th line I just don't see it as a significant hole.

The reality is that for like 95% of 4th line players the most consequential contribution they will make to the team is on the pk. Ryan is a solid pk option still even at his advanced age, but with Nuge, Brown and Janmark taking up most of the time on the pk you really only need one more guy to fill that role. So if Ryan gets waved I would still be confident that the pk will be ok.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Nikko Mikkola - 2.5 mill
Uvis Balinskis - 850k

200.gif

Florida isnt going to win the cup this year and a team with an even weaker right side sure as shit isnt going to either (see: Edmonton Oilers)

We need an upgrade period.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't expect Ryan and Perry to play full seasons. But in the end the fact that a guy like Hamblin could step in for 31 games and not look out of place tells you most of what you need to know about how much 4th lines really contribute. Moreover, with Kane back in the line up one of Janmark or Brown moves down. So you already have at least one guy who is a very high end 4th liner at full strength. So regardless of how each of us feels about the quality of the current 4th line I just don't see it as a significant hole.

The reality is that for like 95% of 4th line players the most consequential contribution they will make to the team is on the pk. Ryan is a solid pk option still even at his advanced age, but with Nuge, Brown and Janmark taking up most of the time on the pk you really only need one more guy to fill that role. So if Ryan gets waved I would still be confident that the pk will be ok.

Certainly the 4th line after the TDL and Kanes return will look dramatically different but that’s several months away and is still an issue until replacement players are found.

I don't expect the 4th line to contribute much offensively but it is supposed to provide some of your players on the PK. Ryan is at this stage a 3rd pairing PKer at best. But the 4th line cannot be getting caved in 5v5 like it’s been historically in the McDavid era.

I also don’t like the chemistry of the line. Podkolzin is not a 4th line checking player. Perry doesn’t fit that mold either. Ryan at C with poor foot speed. This line on paper just doesn’t work at all.

And the 1 thing your discounting is that it probably will be playing most its time with a weakened right side defender.

Those foibles add up not consecutively but exponentially worse especially when being exploited by an opposing coach taking advantage of the one true weakness on the team and can turn momentum in a game by hemming this line with its defenders inside our zone for extended periods pushing the top lines into more defensive draws and defensive zone time.

The solution is to not play them much but overplaying the top 9 early in the season till the 4th line weakness is addressed hurts us in an expected long season.

I don’t believe it’s a critical weakness but when combined with a low quality 2 and 3 RD it’s going add up to goals against over time.

But as you say by the TDL I fully expect Kane back and the addition of 1 quality right defender and a good right shot 4C replacement for Ryan be it via trade or internally with the likes of Philp if he shows progression in Bako.

So come playoff time it should not be a source of concern which I think we both agree on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad