Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
He’s a guy I brought up earlier this summer. If you could pay a team like Anaheim to eat half his contract, he makes a lot of sense. If you pick him up at the deadline, you can make his cap work without having to deal anyone out, and it’s closer to when his wife is done her residency (why he reportedly didn’t want to waive this summer), so he might consider it. Then in the summer you just have to move out Kulak, and even if you gave Bouch 9 per, you could make a lineup work for the following year of something like

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Savoie - Draisaitl - Arbidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Kane
Podzolzin - Jarventie - Lavoie (or other depth pieces)

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Trouba
Wanner - Stecher
Brown

Skinner
Pickard
I though Trouba had a NMC/NTC and a wife that is finishing her medical school.residency in NYC and said he was not prepared to move at this point? What has changed?

Reactions: joestevens29

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Hanging on to Chychrun at the deadline to trade him for Nick Jensen in the offseason is really dumb.

Again, it's not context, it's that the Sens get more credit they deserve for what they don't achieve. Maybe they get there this year, but it's a long climb.

Zub won't come cheap, and I have never suggested he would, he just seems like the perfect fit and the Oilers should stay on Staios until he moves him.
I was under the impression that Chychrun was fine going to Ottawa originally, and that it was even a preferred destination but that last year around January it became known that he had soured on the city and probably would not re-sign. That triggered the trade. Of course Jensen was not what one expected but given his NTC with a 10 team no trade list and that he may be perceived to be a challenge to re-sign it is possible that at full cap there were not many takers.

My sense is that Zub would cost a fair bot more than Ekholm. Think Akey, a 1st, plus another real piece. What price would you be willing to give? It might well be worth it but even then I don't see why Ottawa does this unless Zub wants out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We will have to wait and see. If the appropriate changes were made during last offseason the Oilers would be the reigning Stanley Cup champions wiping out the 30 year Canadian drought.

I'm hearing the same old same old. I've heard the bullshit again and again over and over. It's disheartening to say the least.

We didn't win the Cup because Draisaitl and Kane were both hurt severely impacting our top 6 scoring.

We shut Florida's ass down the longer that series went on, they averaged 2 goals per game the final 4 games of the series. Florida's lowest scoring series was against us. They won the basis of a coin flip, more or less.

We shut down Dallas, Vancouver, and LA's offenses too as those series' went longer.

This is pure coaching pretty much, Skinner wasn't even that great.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I was under the impression that Chychrun was fine going to Ottawa originally, and that it was even a preferred destination but that last year around January it became known that he had soured on the city and probably would not re-sign. That triggered the trade. Of course Jensen was not what one expected but given his NTC with a 10 team no trade list and that he may be perceived to be a challenge to re-sign it is possible that at full cap there were not many takers.

My sense is that Zub would cost a fair bot more than Ekholm. Think Akey, a 1st, plus another real piece. What price would you be willing to give? It might well be worth it but even then I don't see why Ottawa does this unless Zub wants out.
Totally, but you'll excuse me if I don't care why Ottawa does the deal. The Oilers might target this player because he makes their good team better, that's all I care about.

As for the price, totally fine, I've been eager to give up that much and more fore him the entire time. Call the Sens a bunch, keep calling them. Zub is a solid player, but he's helping Ottawa play games, and might want to do more.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
In a capped world no team is without holes. Right now the Oilers holes are in their second and third pair RHD and it is possible that one at least the third pair RHD may be filled internally.

They don't have elite goaltending but if their goalies match last year they are competitive.

Their forwards are head and shoulders the best in the league if they stay healthy.

I believe our 4th line is a huge hole as well. Much bigger than is being discussed.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Totally, but you'll excuse me if I don't care why Ottawa does the deal. The Oilers might target this player because he makes their good team better, that's all I care about.

As for the price, totally fine, I've been eager to give up that much and more fore him the entire time. Call the Sens a bunch, keep calling them. Zub is a solid player, but he's helping Ottawa play games, and might want to do more.
If you don't care about the other team why not shoot higher?? The reality is it matters what the other team thinks. Zub is probably one of their core players. Teams don't move them easily.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Our 4th line is a huge hole as well. Much bigger than is being discussed.
I don't see this. But I guess we disagree on that. I will say this though. The only real thing you need from them is to not get baddly chewed up at ES. But even so the difference between the best 4th line in the league and a bottom group might cost you on average a net of 2 wins at the very most in a given year if that.

Take a look at forwards who play less than 10 minutes per game, only three of those guys had more than 10 points with Liam O'Brien leading the group with 14 points in 75 games. Ryan played 10:12 on average and had 12 points. He was a -3 over the year so its not like he was bleeding goals. The best +/- in that group was Matt Martin at +7 who is a PTO this year. In fact the Islanders may well have had one of the best 4th lines in the league but in reality the vast majority of regular 4th liners are barely above replacement level.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If you don't care about the other team why not shoot higher?? The reality is it matters what the other team thinks. Zub is probably one of their core players. Teams don't move them easily.
No, you're missing the point, I don't care that "consideration" about this player must be made to the Sens.

This isn't Sanderson, this isn't Stutlze, this isn't Tkachuk. Zub is a solid player, but being an adjacent "core player" for a non-playoff team is just a guy on a team.

I'm not suggesting he comes for free, the Oilers will have to pay, and I have said this over and over and over and over, but the consideration for the Sens is not something I have.

Basically the "Why would Ottawa move him?" question, I don't care, he's not one of their stars, he's just a guy on the team, the assets can be good too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In a capped world no team is without holes. Right now the Oilers holes are in their second and third pair RHD and it is possible that one at least the third pair RHD may be filled internally.

They don't have elite goaltending but if their goalies match last year they are competitive.

Their forwards are head and shoulders the best in the league if they stay healthy.

What I saw in the playoffs last year was the Oilers becoming more like the Cup winning Penguins teams.

They can defend with basically anyone without needing neccessarily an All-Star group on the back end.

Pittsburgh won a Cup even without Letang and Justin Schultz playing heavy minutes.

If Skinner can now take a step forward in his game that would help a lot too. He's not a kid anymore, you have now experience even in the Finals, time to take a step forward in your development.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I though Trouba had a NMC/NTC and a wife that is finishing her medical school.residency in NYC and said he was not prepared to move at this point? What has changed?

He does. I’d touched on it

If you pick him up at the deadline, you can make his cap work without having to deal anyone out, and it’s closer to when his wife is done her residency (why he reportedly didn’t want to waive this summer), so he might consider it.

Basically by asking him right at the deadline, you’d hopefully be able to convince him to move his timeline up slightly. You’re then only asking them to be apart for 2-3 months instead of the entire season.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Crosby is worth 11mil all day. He gave them a steal to keep it at his customary 8.7
How much does it matter though? So if the Pens save all this cash can they resurrect their aging core with an extra depth add or two? Can they still attract an impact player to spend that money on?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Reactions: Vagabond

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Imo he's worse but it's hard to tell when he's just been on bad teams. That's the appeal, that on a contender maybe he has a bit of a resurgence like Bogosian did
I like the physical part of his game, I'd love if we could get Deslauriers somehow tossed in although he's overpaid.

Reactions: Mr Positive

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
How much does it matter though? So if the Pens save all this cash can they resurrect their aging core with an extra depth add or two? Can they still attract an impact player to spend that money on?

Ya, I don't see them doing much but if Karlsson regains his form, things could change quickly. They could be a really good team

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm surprisingly not totally against this idea if some big retention is involved

I know, I know...
I wouldn’t mind him. But is this really a rumour? This guy who wrote the article just gave a proposal and he said on Oilers Now Bob mentioned his name some times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad