Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You can say the first two deals are not discount just based on the situation This deal at 38 is easily a discount. The guy could sign ask for 14M x 2 years and Dubas would okay it.
That doesn’t mean it’s a discount, that just would mean dubas sucks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Martin already signed a PTO with the Islanders (shocker) but I agree with the idea, the Oilers need a shit disturber in the bottom 6 one that can play a bit like Martin for instance. They do have Perry but I doubt he's an everyday player.
Matt Martin isn't exactly an everyday player either though.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Crosby a discount ??? Give be a break. I can't be bothered to look but I suspect its the largest contract ever handed out to a 38 year old player.

14 mil for Drai is a discount. I'm pretty sure almost every team would sign him at 14, which means multiple teams would give him more....much more.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
WTf I'm reading, people are really comparing Drai and Crosby contracts? Looks like some kind of massretardation has taken over the board.

There are some “bad actors” on these boards, unfortunately, that will always spin everything in a negative light. They’ve gaslit themselves into hating the team and want everyone else here to be on their level. Very sad

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Ok, before we shit all over the two players who have been pretty much the only reason why the Oilers are relevant in the last 5+ years it should also be noted that Crosby is towards the end of his career while these two guys are in their primes so.... a bit of a different mindset when comparing contracts.

Don't get me wrong, Crosby definitely took a discount and good on him but some context is needed here.

With that said, it would have been nice if Drai took a little less but I don't think it's worth quibbling over $.5-1m/yr.
McDavid will get his $16m/yr or so and be well worth it and that would be a discount because it's well below the max.
I'm not so much "shitting" on our players, I have no problem with him signing the deal he did, its fair, he deserves it, no problem at all. My comment is more against the garbage the local media tries to feed us. "They had a meeting and will be leaving money on the table" crap. We aren't ignorant and we understand the cost of dong business. Draisatl got what he deserves as a player and anyone who has a problem with that has their head in the sand. But dont try to sell me that its a discount. Its about the same total dollars he'd expect to make on the open market. I dont think its nuts to think Crosby could have gotten another 3 or 4 million out of the Penguins over 2 years too.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Crosby a discount ??? Give be a break. I can't be bothered to look but I suspect its the largest contract ever handed out to a 38 year old player.

14 mil for Drai is a discount. I'm pretty sure almost every team would sign him at 14, which means multiple teams would give him more....much more.
I mean it might be the largest annual average, but the guy still had 94 points last year. Pretty much deserved what he got. Probably could've asked for more

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm not so much "shitting" on our players, I have no problem with him signing the deal he did, its fair, he deserves it, no problem at all. My comment is more against the garbage the local media tries to feed us. "They had a meeting and will be leaving money on the table" crap. We aren't ignorant and we understand the cost of dong business. Draisatl got what he deserves as a player and anyone who has a problem with that has their head in the sand. But dont try to sell me that its a discount. Its about the same total dollars he'd expect to make on the open market. I dont think its nuts to think Crosby could have gotten another 3 or 4 million out of the Penguins over 2 years too.
why is a younger and more productive (recently) Draisaitl "market value" while a 38 year old Crosby worth almost 12 mil?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
There are some “bad actors” on these boards, unfortunately, that will always spin everything in a negative light. They’ve gaslit themselves into hating the team and want everyone else here to be on their level. Very sad

I like to compare them to leaf fans.

Whenever anything happens in hockey (even if it doesn't involve them) the Toronto media and leaf fan contingent immediately asks "how does this impact the Leafs". They are always trying to make connections that aren't their because all the know is A) their team and B) whatever the latest piece of news is. If you ever watch Steve Dangle he basically doesn't know any depth players outside of Toronto but the moment they are on the team, they are the next big thing.

These are the same people that constantly complain when a trade is made, and their team isn't involved asking "why couldn't we do that move" and "why didn't we match"? Some fans are oblivious to the fact that there are 32 teams in the league all trying to do the same thing.

Just because that team is the only team that matters to THEM, doesn't mean that it's the only team that matters.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Umm, that's the story he told yes.

Agree on the 3 names, Zub is the true homerun imo.
I don't understand the Zub love. He's not great. I'd be surprised if he's even being targeted. Broaden your horizons.

And for the record, I don't believe there's much chance we're getting either Calgary defenseman.

There is a Conroy factor in play. If either get dealt to the Oilers it's because ownership stepped in.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't understand the Zub love. He's not great. I'd be surprised if he's even being targeted. Broaden your horizons.

And for the record, I don't believe there's much chance we're getting either Calgary defenseman.

There is a Conroy factor in play. If either get dealt to the Oilers it's because ownership stepped in.
This, 100%. As long as they are Flames, the Oilers aren't likely to acquire him.

That's fine, Zub seems best bet for a big upgrade and being better than he appears (see Ekholm) who's on a reasonable ticket.

There are other guys in that range, but their either important to their teams or too expensive on the cap.

Other guys are like

Petry - a bit too old and isn't coming
Durzi - just signed, probably isn't worth $6M to non-Yotes.
Pionk - a great Target, not sure the Jets move him(that said, after Zub, target #1 imo)
Demelo - he's ok, I don't love him at $4.9M on the cap
Manson - isn't moving
Nick Jenson - not likely moving with Ottawa's sunk cost
Dobson - lolz no chance.
Gudbranson - He's interesting, but I don't know he's a good enough player overall
Gudas - Signed in Anaheim to avoid difficult hockey
Larsson - just re-signed.
Dumba - just signed and probably isn't good enough to be 2RD
Carrier - Just re-signed
Savard - Interesting, would have to come quite cheap, I don't know how good he is overall.

So there are other names, Zub is just much better.

Last edited:

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
So why exactly would Ottawa trade Zub to us? He is signed for 3 more years at a very favorable $4.6, he plays the top PK unit and 2nd pairing ES mins, he is a right shot guy and been a positive player for years on a pretty bad hockey team. Ottawa would, very rightly, want a kings ransom for this player, even if they were willing trade him (which I seriously doubt they are willing to do).
It's funny how people just assume anyone out there is available and it's the GMs fault for not getting them. They would be stupid to trade him unless as you say for a kings ransom and even then why would they trade him.

Reactions: McDoused

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm tired of trying to be polite with this. Why they f*** do I f***ing care?

I never said they were planning to. It's a major upgrade for this team in a position of need.

This team is a contender, the Sens aren't a playoff team, why the f*** do I care what they think about the value of their players when they're golfing in May every year?

Uh, because Ottawa needs to agree to the trade? lol. Pretty straight forward really. If Ottawa doesn't like the trade from their POV, then the trade doesn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad