Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The recovery period for a sports hernia surgery is only like 6-12 weeks, people banking on it being a year long thing I think are seriously overstating it.

Reactions: McDoused

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The recovery period for a sports hernia surgery is only like 6-12 weeks, people banking on it being a year long thing I think are seriously overstating it.

So we could have had 100% Kane for playoffs last year after LTIR'ing him at the deadline to also upgrade our D? Dang it! :)

I wonder if it's a more complex issue though, than just a straight forward hernia. If it was just a simple surgery and 6-12 week recovery, this last year of him dealing with this injury is so weird. Almost a full year of struggle, and degrading to the point he can't even sit down. Then a whole summer wasted trying to find a reason to not get surgery. I wish someone could make it all make sense.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
So we could have had 100% Kane for playoffs last year after LTIR'ing him at the deadline to also upgrade our D? Dang it! :)

I wonder if it's a more complex issue though, than just a straight forward hernia. If it was just a simple surgery and 6-12 week recovery, this last year of him dealing with this injury is so weird. Almost a full year of struggle, and degrading to the point he can't even sit down. Then a whole summer wasted trying to find a reason to not get surgery. I wish someone could make it all make sense.
I’m sure all the facts that we don’t know make perfect sense.

All we can do as fans is assume, which gets no one anywhere.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Crosby really is the man. What a Captain.
Good for him.

This is a player that has put winning above everything else. Something I hope McDavid follows suit with. Drai took the bag, and while I understand the decision, from a purely fans POV, it was pretty disappointing that that he prioritized money over winning. McDavid is in a much, MUCH, different financial spot than Drai is though, so it would be great to see him prioritize winning and legacy over money he doesn't need.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Umm, that's the story he told yes.

Agree on the 3 names, Zub is the true homerun imo.

So why exactly would Ottawa trade Zub to us? He is signed for 3 more years at a very favorable $4.6, he plays the top PK unit and 2nd pairing ES mins, he is a right shot guy and been a positive player for years on a pretty bad hockey team. Ottawa would, very rightly, want a kings ransom for this player, even if they were willing trade him (which I seriously doubt they are willing to do).

Reactions: Louis Cypher

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This is a player that has put winning above everything else. Something I hope McDavid follows suit with. Drai took the bag, and while I understand the decision, from a purely fans POV, it was pretty disappointing that that he prioritized money over winning. McDavid is in a much, MUCH, different financial spot than Drai is though, so it would be great to see him prioritize winning and legacy over money he doesn't need.

Hopefully that regardless of the McDavid cap hit, we can be happy that we have one of the best players in history here for his entire career rather than fret and hand wring over it.

From a fan's perspective, I would be very happy with that outcome, but not so much having to hear whining about what McDavid "should have" done when committing to the Oilers for another 8 years.

Reactions: TB12

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Crosbys last cap hit was 13.5% of cap when signed, the one previous to that was 15.34% His 38 and 39 year seasons will be 9.5% of cap.

Drai first was 11.33% and 15.91%

Mcdavids first was 15.92% and his next one will be in the 16% range also

Reactions: Pip

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So why exactly would Ottawa trade Zub to us? He is signed for 3 more years at a very favorable $4.6, he plays the top PK unit and 2nd pairing ES mins, he is a right shot guy and been a positive player for years on a pretty bad hockey team. Ottawa would, very rightly, want a kings ransom for this player, even if they were willing trade him (which I seriously doubt they are willing to do).
I'm tired of trying to be polite with this. Why they f*** do I f***ing care?

I never said they were planning to. It's a major upgrade for this team in a position of need.

This team is a contender, the Sens aren't a playoff team, why the f*** do I care what they think about the value of their players when they're golfing in May every year?

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
14x8 = 16x7
Not a discount at all. “Had a meeting with all the players saying they would be leaving money on the table”. Obviously not.

Crosbys contract?
Now THATS a discount
he's 37 year old coming off a contract that's illegal in today's CBA (12 year contract)...getting 8.7 mil at his age isn't a "discount"

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
he's 37 year old coming off a contract that's illegal in today's CBA (12 year contract)...getting 8.7 mil at his age isn't a "discount"

The zeal some people have around here for disparaging McDavid and Draisaitl in comparison to Crosby with respect to contracts is embarrassing.

Good thing happens like McDavid and Drai re-signing - have to find some way to have a problem with it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
14x8 = 16x7
Not a discount at all. “Had a meeting with all the players saying they would be leaving money on the table”. Obviously not.

Crosbys contract?
Now THATS a discount
Ok, before we shit all over the two players who have been pretty much the only reason why the Oilers are relevant in the last 5+ years it should also be noted that Crosby is towards the end of his career while these two guys are in their primes so.... a bit of a different mindset when comparing contracts.

Don't get me wrong, Crosby definitely took a discount and good on him but some context is needed here.

With that said, it would have been nice if Drai took a little less but I don't think it's worth quibbling over $.5-1m/yr.
McDavid will get his $16m/yr or so and be well worth it and that would be a discount because it's well below the max.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm tired of trying to be polite with this. Why they f*** do I f***ing care?

I never said they were planning to. It's a major upgrade for this team in a position of need.

This team is a contender, the Sens aren't a playoff team, why the f*** do I care what they think about the value of their players when they're golfing in May every year?
The Sens may be a playoff team. They're in the mix with Detroit, Buffalo and Tampa as a team that's on the fringe. A significant improvement in any area could put any of them into the conversation.

When it comes to Zub though, it's hard to see them considering moving him when they've been searching for RD depth rather desperately the past few seasons. They traded Chychrun for a mid 30s RD in Nick Jensen.

The only reasonable possibility of Zub making his way to the trade market would be an absolute train wreck of a season. And at that point, do you still want the player knowing the expected cost?

For the sake of realistic discussion, it's important to take that info into account.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The Sens may be a playoff team.
Ok, call me when that happens.

My point remains the same, stop treating what they think like it's "VERY" important. They just trade Chychrun (the biggest defenseman on the market for a time) for Nick Jensen.

You can treat the Sens with respect when they deserve it.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Neither is 14x8
if Crosby had to sign a 8-year max deal back in 2013, you can GUARANTEE he'd be getting more the 8.7 mil

Ok, before we shit all over the two players who have been pretty much the only reason why the Oilers are relevant in the last 5+ years it should also be noted that Crosby is towards the end of his career while these two guys are in their primes so.... a bit of a different mindset when comparing contracts.

Don't get me wrong, Crosby definitely took a discount and good on him but some context is needed here.

With that said, it would have been nice if Drai took a little less but I don't think it's worth quibbling over $.5-1m/yr.
McDavid will get his $16m/yr or so and be well worth it and that would be a discount because it's well below the max.
he'll be 38 when this contract kicks in...hardly a discount

Reactions: capazzo

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
if Crosby had to sign a 8-year max deal back in 2013, you can GUARANTEE he'd be getting more the 8.7 mil
You certain about that? The guy seems dead set at 8.7M whether it's 8 years or 12 years. The guy knows his quality of life doesn't change at 8.7M or 12M. Some people just gets it.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The guy signed for 8.7M on 3 contracts already. So what do you mean based on what? lol
and which one was the max 8-year contract?

his first 8.7 deal.... Sidney "all about winning" Crosby took up 15.34 of the cap

he second 8.7 deal, it was a back-diving deal which is illegal today...in it, he averaged 10.8 mil in the first 8 seasons

this latest deal has been making 8.7 at age 38...not a discount

Reactions: capazzo and TB12

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
and which one was the max 8-year contract?

his first 8.7 deal.... Sidney "all about winning" Crosby took up 15.34 of the cap

he second 8.7 deal, it was a back-diving deal which is illegal today...in it, he averaged 10.8 mil in the first 8 seasons

this latest deal has been making 8.7 at age 38...not a discount
You can say the first two deals are not discount just based on the situation This deal at 38 is easily a discount. The guy could sign ask for 14M x 2 years and Dubas would okay it.

Regardless if it's 8 years or 12 years. Like it said, you should be already be able to see the trend by now. The guy was sticking with 8.7M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad