Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Marino didnt have trade protection at the time of the deal. It was also reported at the time that the reason he didn’t want to sign in Edmonton was because he didn’t see a path to make the team with other prospects in the organization ahead of him.

Matt Roy was just one example. I listed a number of other ones. Pesce, Walker, Carrier.

You’re free to call Sprong awful defensively. It’s not like Skinner doesn’t also have his warts. Hence being bought out by his previous team.

Additionally, a number of the options available wouldn’t have required anything different other than not signing Skinner.

The Oilers made a choice to spend $10m on middle six forwards. There were other options available to them. I’m not even necessarily saying it was the wrong choice. But some in this thread are acting like there was nothing else the team could have done. That’s not the case.
Marino did not have trade protection but I think he was going to become a UFA so he had the Oilers by the ears. It's hard to say if he was going to sign even if there was more potential opportunity. It is possible he wanted to play somewhere in the US.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
the age of the enforcer is long over.
Yep, while I enjoy hockey fights the 3-5 minute warriors are long gone.

Need functional physicality. Guys that play meaningful minutes that either forecheck hard or aren't afraid to give and receive hits.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Marino did not have trade protection but I think he was going to become a UFA so he had the Oilers by the ears. It's hard to say if he was going to sign even if there was more potential opportunity. It is possible he wanted to play somewhere in the US.
Didn't Marino have a connection with Chiarelli? IIRC, any chance he had of signing with the Oilers went out the door when Chiarelli was fired.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Didn't Marino have a connection with Chiarelli? IIRC, any chance he had of signing with the Oilers went out the door when Chiarelli was fired.
I believe this is correct. It is one of the dangers of guys going the college route. If they are top end players you probably don't have to worry because they want to sign ASAP. But it's the guys who need four years that are dicey. In that case a US citizenship can add to the risk.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I know what you're saying. That's the narrative they're running with this year. We will see.

When the national media jumps on board the Oil locomotive blowing smoke up this market's ass usually bad shit happens.

Emberson, the journeyman with 30 games of NHL experience, does interest me as a player the organization appears to have targeted. Maybe after 200 more games of experience he becomes our Tanev light. I'm not betting on this player heading into the playoffs under any circumstances.
So it's different than the "see look McDrai" this team came one game, 2 goals away from the Cup. Players are aware this team is a legit contender to win it all. Also, especially if you're a pending UFA, it's a few months of enjoying some the best fandom they will experience on a playoff run. There's something there.

Emberson isn't a journeyman, he's a younger player who seemed to finally break through last year. Who knows what he can bring, but all that RHD has to do is be good enough. This team can wait and look closer to the deadline for a true replacement, because the playoffs is where that upgrade will matter more significantly matter (obviously), but this team is good enough to be contending with this blueline, they need to improve as the year progresses to move above the rest of the contenders.

Emberson is sort of in a similar spot to Kulak at the same age. Kulak played 21 NHL games at 23, finally getting 71 at age 24 (same age as Emberson is now), before getting moved to Montreal because the of the blueline situation in Calgary.

The difference is Calgary was Kulak's draft team, but it is a reasonable comparison.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You're assuming the trade has to be for an upcoming UFA RHD. Eckholm was not a UFA, there are ways to get an impact player that doesn't have to be a pure rental. Yes, they are usually more expensive, but if we're trying to win now, which we are. you pay the price.

There are always players that shake loose near the deadline, and Bowman and Jackson just have to stay on the ball when those players do come available.
The trade route for a team controlled d-man is an interesting one if there's a trade partner heavy on defense depth, a team with a stagnating younger prime year defender, or a franchise looking to dump salary. Now if you use the Ekholm deal as an outer marker benchmark, the cost was 2 1st round equivalents so that's essentially a future 1st round (2026) and top prospect likely Savoie or O'Reilly tier.

Savoie is likely a winger at NHL level. If he hits with a super elite centre McDavid or Draisaitl, it's quite likely his salary inflates fast once his entry level deal ends. With skill wingers easier to find and replace there is a reasonable case that this team might want to prioritize the top end of its d-corp over winger. Challenge is that the d-corp need is immediate and Savoie is not yet NHL proven and his salary is cost controlled for the next two seasons. Just to add I think they view O'Reilly 3C positional value and game style. 3C is a tough position to fill.

Looks hard to replicate an Ekholm level trade. So wonder what the mid-tier of prospective 2RD trade market looks like?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Does anyone know what the conditions are on the 1st Oilers traded to Philly? I see that it’s top 12 protected but I thought I read somewhere they had the Oilers had the option to send either the 25 or 26 pick.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The longer Swayman holds out, the more I wish we made a trade for him. We need a goalie like that in the system
Don't think he was ever in the cards to be traded. Doesn't seem like there is a pile of concern according to the Boston beat guy that was on gregor's show yesterday.

He is apparently in Boston training/skating with others.

Not sure we'd have the assets either to trade for him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I mean he was available this summer (traded to Utah for 2 2nds) and didn’t have trade protection at the time the deal went down. 27 years old and half way through a manageable 6 year 4.4m cap hit.

Reactions: Mr Positive

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Does anyone know what the conditions are on the 1st Oilers traded to Philly? I see that it’s top 12 protected but I thought I read somewhere they had the Oilers had the option to send either the 25 or 26 pick.

This is usually the best site for that stuff: 2025 NHL Entry Draft Pending Transactions

It's a top 12 protected pick in 2025 unless the Oilers trade the 2026 1st then it becomes unprotected.

Reactions: McDoused

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Isn’t that exactly what we’ve been doing for the entire McDrai era? And it’s what led to us running Ceci in the top 4 for years while we waited for an upgrade? Only to have that second pair let us down year after year come playoff time.

Maybe Emberson can be a diamond in the rough and exceed expectations here.

There is an alternative reality where the Oilers prioritized bringing in a guy like Matt Roy to be the 2RD and we don’t sign Skinner/Henrique or trade McLeod.

Is that team better? I’m not sure truthfully. Both teams would have weaknesses. But I feel like it’s always easier to add middle 6 forwards come the trade deadline than it is top 4 RHD.
These things are true until they aren't though. We also suffered before Ekholm but pulled the trade off when it became available. There is an opportunity this year to make that trade again but for the right side.

I don't think it can happen now but something must shake loose the closer we get to the deadline.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I mean he was available this summer (traded to Utah for 2 2nds) and didn’t have trade protection at the time the deal went down. 27 years old and half way through a manageable 6 year 4.4m cap hit.
Thanks. I thought you were referencing his deal from Edmonton. My apologies for jumping into a conversation without doing the work to follow the thread.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
the age of the enforcer is long over.
Another stupid comment, where the f*** did I say anything about an enforcer? Kane pots 25 goals in a bad year and Nurse hasn’t fought in years but you lose both those guys and this team has no intimidation whatsoever.

Go watch women’s hockey ffs.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sucks to miss out on accruing cap space for the deadline, but I think it's more important to have a truly healthy Kane back and doing what he does best for the team.
You don’t have to put him on LTIR. He can just go on regular IR and the team can accrue space. They just can’t use any of his cap hit while he’s hurt.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Sucks to miss out on accruing cap space for the deadline, but I think it's more important to have a truly healthy Kane back and doing what he does best for the team.
They can still accrue cap space if they don't have to put Kane on LTIR. Kane goes on the IR, Lavoie makes the team and they sign Dermott for $800K and waive Brown. In that scenario they start the year with about $350K in cap space.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
How's it work if Nurse is on IR as well for a prolonged period of time?

IR is not good. You don't get any cap savings and you still have replace the roster player.

The only reason the Oilers are using IR is because they want to accrue cap space. Otherwise they would put Kane on LTIR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad