Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree with you Mr Positive. The Oilers are taking a huge risk by not trying to trade for a top 4 RHD now or earlier in the summer. Teams rarely trade a top 4 RHD at the deadline, if even at all. This has such a high chance to backfire on us
More of them get traded closer to the deadline and how are the Oilers going to trade for one now or in the summer with minimal cap space? Which RHD were traded this offseason?
What "huge risk" are the Oilers taking? From the team that went to the Finals, most of without Broberg on the roster, they went from Ceci and Desharnais to Emberson and Brown.

It's not the disaster that some are painting it out to be. It's not ideal but they can make due until closer to the deadline and, in fact, I see a little more upside with this group with Emberson having some growth potential that Ceci didn't.
The biggest issue is replacing Broberg long term, that was a hit, but in the short term they're fine.

Reactions: MessierII

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This seems a little overly negative, with all due respect.

The Oilers have similar assets to what most contenders have with the lone difference being that they don't have one of their 1sts in '25 or '26 but they have O'Reilly who could actually be more valuable than a late 1st depending on how his season goes.

The Oilers will have accrued cap space (not sure why you think they don't have the cap space), a 1st, the picks from Broberg and Holloway and some good prospects in their cupboard that they can dangle if they want to go bigger for a more longer term solution.
I mean, they acquired Ekholm for a late 1st and a non-blue chip prospect so the opportunities will be there closer to the deadline.
Don't bother. Nashville has 3 1st round picks and this poster knows every dman that will be available. It's already over for us apparently... :sarcasm:

commie

Jul 30, 2005
All these negativity before the season even started. Man we are in for a long season lol
Hearing some of the comments, you will think the Oilers missed the playoffs last season and not came within 2 goals of the cup.

The Oilers lost the Cup last year because of offence, namely they couldn't score when it matters, at least in 3 out of the first 4 games in the finals. Their defence was for the most part fine and defence is a team effort anyways. Can't blame the defence in a 2-1 game.

I don't blame the Team trying to shore up their offence depth and their ability to shoot the puck into the net in the off season.

Good players always shake out during the season, the Oilers now have the cap space and the assets to take advantage of these situations without having to worry about making teams take too much of a retention or involve a 3rd team in a trade for cap reasons. I would challenge that the team is in the most flexible position to improve the team mid season in a very long time. With only the 2RD position to improve.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
More of them get traded closer to the deadline and how are the Oilers going to trade for one now or in the summer with minimal cap space? Which RHD were traded this offseason?
What "huge risk" are the Oilers taking? From the team that went to the Finals, most of without Broberg on the roster, they went from Ceci and Desharnais to Emberson and Brown.

It's not the disaster that some are painting it out to be. It's not ideal but they can make due until closer to the deadline and, in fact, I see a little more upside with this group with Emberson having some growth potential that Ceci didn't.
The biggest issue is replacing Broberg long term, that was a hit, but in the short term they're fine.
Yeah this team got much stronger in the scoring department with the additions of Skinner and Arvidsson and marginally downgraded defensively going from Ceci/Desharnais to Emberson/Brown. I think there’s a solid chance these guys could integrate well into our system but the bottom line is that a possible slight downgrade at the 4 and 6 defenders spots isn’t going to sink this team so they’ve got time to see what they’ve got while they accrue cap space and let the trade market develop.

It’s funny every year we have the “sky is falling” crowd and every year they end up walking back their early/offseason comments with a bunch of “who would of known” type shit and no matter how many times it happens the next season they’re right back at it before even seeing a game played.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Loved the comment by McDavid about the horrible construction in this damn city lol. He's probably referring to the gong show multi-year LRT construction that's reduced Stony Plain and 142st and 149st down to one freakin lane.
To be fair that LRT line towards Lewis Estates is moving along much faster than the Millswood. They are also going above ground which should be for most of the LRT

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Players always become available that we don't expect. Nobody expected Ekholm to be available. Guys like Chychrun ask for trades, etc.

And I imagine Nashville's most pressing need will be a center upgrade, or third line scoring. Their D is fine. They'll chase a depth guy. You're automatically assuming we can't get the guy we want, so lets just give up now? Yikes man...

Also we can absolutely accrue cap space this season, even if we put guys on LTIR, because we wouldn't be over the cap otherwise if those players were active.

We couldn't accrue when Klef and Smith were on LTIR, because we were over the cap if you included their contracts. The 900k in cap space that we have will accrue throughout the season.

You're just putting words in my mouth. I never said that we should give up. I get that most fans just want to pretend that everything is fine and will work itself out but realistically you need to map out a plan and figure out what your options are.

Jackson and Bowman said that when the offer sheets came through, they looked at the different scenarios and paths forward. Ultimately, they decided that they wanted flexibility, cap savings and assets. It's very clear to me that they have a plan in place.

I'm a planner. I'm logical. The Oilers management staff appear to be the same.

People keep saying that "nobody expected Ekholm to be available" but that's just not true. Oiler fans identified him as potential option well in advance even if he wasn't available at that time. I even remember on Connor McDavids birthday (January 13th) that Gregor was asked if you could give McDavid a present what would it be? The answer he gave was Ekholm.

Chychrun was moved in the offseason. It's actually a great example of how Washington was able to get him for cheap while the ask from Edmonton was a 1st + Broberg. Timing is so important and being proactive can save you in the long run. The Oilers can't afford to overpay guys because they don't have the draft capital to outbid teams. Last year Holland tried to wait until the deadline and no one was available. We didn't upgrade last deadline and ended up acquiring Henrique instead. We can't afford to leave the defense two years in a row.

Heck, Sean Walker would have been free last offseason but now he's unavailable. Who is this year's Walker? Who can potentially become available?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Gotta think Evander wants to stay in Edmonton for a long time. Just built a new house. I think he's going to want to extend here and maybe even want to work for the Oilers once he's retired.

Hopefully he bounces back a bit and has more consistent play on the ice. I doubt he plays as well when he first joined due to all of the injuries but he’s still a valuable piece when he’s playing well.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
This seems a little overly negative, with all due respect.

The Oilers have similar assets to what most contenders have with the lone difference being that they don't have one of their 1sts in '25 or '26 but they have O'Reilly who could actually be more valuable than a late 1st depending on how his season goes.

The Oilers will have accrued cap space (not sure why you think they don't have the cap space), a 1st, the picks from Broberg and Holloway and some good prospects in their cupboard that they can dangle if they want to go bigger for a more longer term solution.
I mean, they acquired Ekholm for a late 1st and a non-blue chip prospect so the opportunities will be there closer to the deadline.

Thats fair. The Oilers have a problem and no one seems to be on the same page. It's definitely not a positive. We had the same problem last year and Holland wasn't able to address it.

The Oilers don't have their first round pick in this years draft but yes I supposed they can trade next years 1st or O'Reilly if that's the play.

We keep thinking that we can do the Ekholm trade all over again but those types of trades are really hard to pull off. We don't have a Barrie type contract to move out or another Bourchard waiting to replace him.

I fully expect us to trade significant assets to acquire a player in the mold of a David Savard.

Sure that might be negative but I don't see a path forward where we are able to acquire a legitimate top 4 defenseman like a Weegar or Andersson.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Thats fair. The Oilers have a problem and no one seems to be on the same page. It's definitely not a positive. We had the same problem last year and Holland wasn't able to address it.

The Oilers don't have their first round pick in this years draft but yes I supposed they can trade next years 1st or O'Reilly if that's the play.

We keep thinking that we can do the Ekholm trade all over again but those types of trades are really hard to pull off. We don't have a Barrie type contract to move out or another Bourchard waiting to replace him.

I fully expect us to trade significant assets to acquire a player in the mold of a David Savard.

Sure that might be negative but I don't see a path forward where we are able to acquire a legitimate top 4 defenseman like a Weegar or Andersson.
Maybe not Ekholm but Henrique type trade but for defense. By the deadline we could have enough accrued cap space for someone like Gudas without even any retention if he's willing to waive. I'd imagine the Oilers would want retention tho as it'll help with next year cap crunch

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

No one said it was a disaster. Once again posters are putting words in my mouth.

The team is well position to repeat but our defense is still a legitimate question mark. 4RHD is really the only hole on the roster and something that needs to be addressed. The goal is to win the Stanley cup this year. Expectations have never been higher and ignoring the problems on the roster and expecting another team to trade us a premium position for peanuts is borderline negligence.

Fans were freaking out when the offer sheets came in (I wasn't one of them). From the start, I said that both shouldn't be matched. However, now we have a problem that needs fixing. Waiting until the deadline and hoping that something materializes isn't something that Jackson and Bowman would do. They likely have specific targets or players that they have circled.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
You're just putting words in my mouth. I never said that we should give up. I get that most fans just want to pretend that everything is fine and will work itself out but realistically you need to map out a plan and figure out what your options are.

Jackson and Bowman said that when the offer sheets came through, they looked at the different scenarios and paths forward. Ultimately, they decided that they wanted flexibility, cap savings and assets. It's very clear to me that they have a plan in place.

I'm a planner. I'm logical. The Oilers management staff appear to be the same.

People keep saying that "nobody expected Ekholm to be available" but that's just not true. Oiler fans identified him as potential option well in advance even if he wasn't available at that time. I even remember on Connor McDavids birthday (January 13th) that Gregor was asked if you could give McDavid a present what would it be? The answer he gave was Ekholm.

Chychrun was moved in the offseason. It's actually a great example of how Washington was able to get him for cheap while the ask from Edmonton was a 1st + Broberg. Timing is so important and being proactive can save you in the long run. The Oilers can't afford to overpay guys because they don't have the draft capital to outbid teams. Last year Holland tried to wait until the deadline and no one was available. We didn't upgrade last deadline and ended up acquiring Henrique instead. We can't afford to leave the defense two years in a row.

Heck, Sean Walker would have been free last offseason but now he's unavailable. Who is this year's Walker? Who can potentially become available?
I'm calling out the unnecessary negative tone.

People didn't know Ekholm would be available in the summer of 2022 when we were making guesses at how to fix the D. Like you said, the first hint at it came in January. Thanks for proving me right?

Why can't Emberson be our Walker/Forsling? He seems like a good guy to bet on.

And you're right, the team has a plan, so why the negativity? Just calling yourself 'logical' doesn't put your thoughts or opinions above anyone else's here.

Again, let's alllll calm down, enjoy what we currently have on the roster, and know the team has the cap flexibility, assets, and plan - to make improvements where needed.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm calling out the unnecessary negative tone.

People didn't know Ekholm would be available in the summer of 2022 when we were making guesses at how to fix the D. Like you said, the first hint at it came in January. Thanks for proving me right?

Why can't Emberson be our Walker/Forsling? He seems like a good guy to bet on.

And you're right, the team has a plan, so why the negativity? Just calling yourself 'logical' doesn't put your thoughts or opinions above anyone else's here.

Again, let's alllll calm down, enjoy what we currently have on the roster, and know the team has the cap flexibility, assets, and plan - to make improvements where needed.

You're the one that keeps unnecessarily calling me negative. I'm not allowed to address my concerns about the massive hole on the right side?

I legitimately want to know what the plan is. I don't expect a top 4 dman to fall into our laps. If you think Ty Emberson is the answer, that's fair, you are entitled to your opinion. I would absolutely disagree.

You keep referencing this year's Ekholm, so who is it?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Based on the last two seasons, I'd argue that not having to move Barrie or Ceci's contract as part of a deal for a potential 2nd pairing RD makes the deal cleaner and easier to execute.

Reactions: TB12 and McDoused

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

McDavid feels like he understands himself and what they need to do at another level this year. I think he's going to start the year like a house on fire.

I really hope this team in general heals up when they are hurt. It feels like too many players gut it out.

They really need to start the year better and avoid poor November/Decembers so they aren’t always in a hole playing desperate where they feel like no one can sit out a week to rest up.

Its also bad because you never really get to see other players on the farm team. Then we have guys who is ELC is up and we know nothing about them because they never played.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No one said it was a disaster. Once again posters are putting words in my mouth.

The team is well position to repeat but our defense is still a legitimate question mark. 4RHD is really the only hole on the roster and something that needs to be addressed. The goal is to win the Stanley cup this year. Expectations have never been higher and ignoring the problems on the roster and expecting another team to trade us a premium position for peanuts is borderline negligence.

Fans were freaking out when the offer sheets came in (I wasn't one of them). From the start, I said that both shouldn't be matched. However, now we have a problem that needs fixing. Waiting until the deadline and hoping that something materializes isn't something that Jackson and Bowman would do. They likely have specific targets or players that they have circled.
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. It was at @McTonyBrar for the "huge risk" comment.
I don't see going from Ceci-Desharnais (which was largely the Oilers right side throughout the season and most of the playoffs) to Emberson-Brown/Stecher as a huge risk.

Obviously they'll need to fill that void at 2nd pairing RHD if Emberson or somebody else doesn't take it but they had that same void last season on a team that went to Game 7 of the Cup finals. Not saying that they should go into the playoffs with that defense and they almost certainly won't but they'll be fine in the interim.

Also, we're not going to see a significant trade until closer to the deadline, you rarely see teams making significant trades before the New Year so this is the defense we'll see for the first half of the season outside of bottom of the roster guys, PTOs etc.
The Oilers don't have the cap space now and there's not much appetite for teams to make such moves until the divide between seller and buyer starts to flesh out so the more significant moves aren't likely to happen for a long time.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Based on the last two seasons, I'd argue that not having to move Barrie or Ceci's contract as part of a deal for a potential 2nd pairing RD makes the deal cleaner and easier to execute.

Agreed. Acquiring a rental at the deadline is much more plausible now that Ceci has been moved. The problem is that there aren't a whole lot of rentals available. If the plan is to acquire someone with term (like Ekholm) means that another contract would have to be moved out.

Unfortunately, only two players fit those criteria- Evander Kane and Brett Kulak. You might be able to unload Kane at the deadline but he still has a 16 no trade list. Letting Kane heal all year just to deal him at the deadline doesn't seem like the plan in place.

We are already going to have problems next year with Bouchard and Draisaitl getting increases, so adding another piece long term might not be possible.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
You're the one that keeps unnecessarily calling me negative. I'm not allowed to address my concerns about the massive hole on the right side?

I legitimately want to know what the plan is. I don't expect a top 4 dman to fall into our laps. If you think Ty Emberson is the answer, that's fair, you are entitled to your opinion. I would absolutely disagree.

You keep referencing this year's Ekholm, so who is it?
Bud, I keep saying we have no idea who it's going to be. We have no idea who will be available. So I'm calling out the idea that there won't be options out there.

I didn't say Ty Emberson IS the answer. I said he COULD be.

We all have concerns about the hole on the right side beneath a likely Norris Candidate and above a few decent options on the 3rd pair. I'm just more optimistic than you are that it will be addressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad