Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Washington also has John Carlson and Trevor Van Riemsdyk expiring next year, and they just signed Matt Roy. Also Nick Jensen in Ottawa.
I don’t think we have the assets to get Carlson even if he did become available. TVR could be a decent add if we couldn’t find a true top 4 and our guys were drowning. Washington could be competitive though. Jensen is a good one I forgot he was with Ottawa.

Reactions: McDoused

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I thought we had a mental coach already. A pretty famous one?

I do like getting some european guys in the mix though. When you have a damn near unlimited budget really should be scouting all over the place
I don't know that the guy you're referring to works solely for teams, he seems like he's a big enough deal where he's a hired consultant, so the Oilers hired him on contract during the year or the run.

I think any more help will do good things for the organization moving forward. They clearly so a positive impact from the other guy they hired.

Yeah, an increased focus in Europe will only benefit the organization.

Reactions: joestevens29

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
One of the European guys Oilers signed today was working for rookie prospect Eemil Vinni's team. So I hope this helps in him getting developed the right way. Now I just want us to get a good AHL head coach that is good at giving prospects chances at experience and development who is not good at giving all the ice time to AHL veterans

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I thought we had a mental coach already. A pretty famous one?

I do like getting some european guys in the mix though. When you have a damn near unlimited budget really should be scouting all over the place
Two different functions. George Mumford was hired to work with the NHL team at this critical winning phase to support their mental skills handling adversity and tools to succeed. The new hire will be imbedded within the development function to further deepen and round out the team support to squeeze out individual potential to hopefully one day manifest into NHL level talent.

Super excited to see a wholistic and comprehensive strategic development function being put in place. Especially with focus on the largely unseen mental skills and strength aspect which is a huge differentiator in terms of making the NHL or not.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I don’t think we have the assets to get Carlson even if he did become available. TVR could be a decent add if we couldn’t find a true top 4 and our guys were drowning. Washington could be competitive though. Jensen is a good one I forgot he was with Ottawa.

That's kind of the problem isn't it.

The Oilers lack the assets to go out and get a legit top 4 defenceman with a reasonable contract.

They also don't have the cap space to get someone that isn't only a cap friendly deal.

Finally, the contracts you would consider moving out to make room have trade protection.

Bowman is going to have to have his work cut out for him trying to figure something out. Maybe you wait until the deadline for cap space but it's not like we are going to be in a better position next year.

Our best bet might be targeting a UFA dman but their isn't a while lot available.

It would be hard to let Kane heal all season only to trade him at the deadline. Maybe they keep him for the rest of the season and try trading him next offseason (where hopefully his value goes up).

Reactions: FlameChampion

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

The Oilers lack the assets to go out and get a legit top 4 defenceman with a reasonable contract.

They also don't have the cap space to get someone that isn't only a cap friendly deal.

Finally, the contracts you would consider moving out to make room have trade protection.

Bowman is going to have to have his work cut out for him trying to figure something out. Maybe you wait until the deadline for cap space but it's not like we are going to be in a better position next year.

Our best bet might be targeting a UFA dman but their isn't a while lot available.

It would be hard to let Kane heal all season only to trade him at the deadline. Maybe they keep him for the rest of the season and try trading him next offseason (where hopefully his value goes up).
We have the assets and the cap space to acquire whoever the best top 4 RS dman is at the deadline. If the player has term, we can deal with that issue in the summer. There are options, which would start with moving Kane.

Our best bet to start the year is run with the current group. Give Emberson some looks on the 2nd pair. Maybe some nights Kulak plays with Nurse while a guy like Dermott plays with Stetcher or Emberson on the bottom pair.

You might even be able to give some cups of coffee to Kemp and Wanner. Kemp specifically, it would be nice to see what we have because it's now or never.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Very much too soon to speculate on trade deadline cap space or potentially available players.

All it takes is one injury, one trade request, one emerging situation - and the entire game changes.

Reactions: Duke74 and Faelko

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
We have the assets and the cap space to acquire whoever the best top 4 RS dman is at the deadline. If the player has term, we can deal with that issue in the summer. There are options, which would start with moving Kane.

Our best bet to start the year is run with the current group. Give Emberson some looks on the 2nd pair. Maybe some nights Kulak plays with Nurse while a guy like Dermott plays with Stetcher or Emberson on the bottom pair.

You might even be able to give some cups of coffee to Kemp and Wanner. Kemp specifically, it would be nice to see what we have because it's now or never.

We really don't. Look at a team like Nashville. How are we supposed to outbid them?

Reactions: VeteranPresence

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Really don't know why people think this is going to happen

Full NMC, just built a house in Edmonton, not sure that every team in the league would want him either.

He is a very tough player to move.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024

Full NMC, just built a house in Edmonton, not sure that every team in the league would want him either.

Kane's greatest value to us would be in the Mark Stone role- let's abuse that for the next two years like Vegas did without penalty and use the $5M in cap space to load up every deadline.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
In all honesty though if you get a guy on a PTO and eventually at minimum salary and it ends up that you don't notice him that is probably a win.

Honestly this is an element I like about most of the depth D they've brought in.

Stecher, Emberson, Dermott, and even Kulak don't move the needle a ton, but they're all low maintenance players, who do the basics well (skating, breakout passing, and not playing D like they're a chicken with their head cut off). While none of them are established top 4 options, all of them sound like a good fit with Nurse.

It's likely not a solution for the playoffs, but it should get them to the trade deadline where they can fit a more expensive option under the cap.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We really don't. Look at a team like Nashville. How are we supposed to outbid them?
We don't even have a lot of roster players that we can move either. Unless we are looking at moving Arvidsson/Henrique who don't have NMC.

Or if Connor Brown is having some sort of amazing year and you can move him to a contender for good assets, although do you really want to move him?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I said next summer. His NMC moves to a modified NTC in the spring. There will be teams that want his physicality. We just wont get anything of value back.
Very much too soon to speculate on trade deadline cap space or potentially available players.

All it takes is one injury, one trade request, one emerging situation - and the entire game changes.
That's kind of the whole point of this board. We know we will be accruing cap space. Let us have some fun and consider what the options might be.
Don't think they will be looking for the same thing as us. We have the same level of assets that we had when we acquired Ekholm.

Man... so much negativity today. Smile everyone. Hockey's back!

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Think it would help if the team could find a guy who is about to breakout but needs a new opportunity or someone who just isn’t quite appreciated. Because they need an upgrade plus it has to fit in cap wise. Need to find a D. Toews, Forsling etc. But it’s honestly harder because we need a RD.

If they could just find someone who compliments Nurse well, that would be a step in a positive direction. But I personally don’t know what type of player will help him who has a manageable cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Ajoie @ Fribourg Gotteron
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Zurich Lions @ Biel
    Zurich Lions @ Biel