Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It's not a shock that better players are still holding out for contracts rather than sign a PTO.
Well what I was saying was why not just wait out those better players until their only solution is a PTO if they want to stay in the NHL? It’s a risk but one worth taking

Those RD are still available
Well let’s hope one is desperate enough for a PTO soon or maybe we trade for one

Your hatred of a vanilla player makes me want to cheer for him.

Nothing wrong with bringing him in and if he does well put him in the AHL as your #8 or #9.
I don’t hate the player. I hate the fact we are looking at him when there are better options out there. There’s a difference.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I would like to see a PTO extended to either Schultz or Shattenkirk, and also Yamamoto.

Also hope we sign Dermott after his PTO so watch the outrage.
If he does good in camp then sign him. I just don’t have faith in him over players like Schultz and Shattenkirk. If you think there is going to be an outrage if we sign Dermott after a really good camp, you are sadly mistaken

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don’t hate the player. I hate the fact we are looking at him when there are better options out there. There’s a difference.
Which ones? Our depth at LD isn't what it once was. Dermott is a guy with history with Knoblauch and McDavid. He's also played with Carrick, who the Oilers signed as farm system depth.

There's also no cap on the number of PTOs you can invite. And we're also running a split squad for the duration, so we're gonna need some veteran bodies to fill the quota.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Which ones? Our depth at LD isn't what it once was. Dermott is a guy with history with Knoblauch and McDavid. He's also played with Carrick, who the Oilers signed as farm system depth.

There's also no cap on the number of PTOs you can invite. And we're also running a split squad for the duration, so we're gonna need some veteran bodies to fill the quota.
I do get the argument for the left side. After Kulak, all we have is Ben Gleason I think. So yeah I've been very blind to that fact and Dermott does help us on that front at least in the preseason.

What I'm worried about is the right side. I hope we still have a plan to get someone to play there. I'm not saying Stecher wouldn't be a good #6 but wouldn't you feel more safer with one of Schultz or Shattenkirk?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Well what I was saying was why not just wait out those better players until their only solution is a PTO if they want to stay in the NHL? It’s a risk but one worth taking

Well let’s hope one is desperate enough for a PTO soon or maybe we trade for one

Dermot is LD and the guys you’re pining for are RD. There’s nothing stopping them from signing more than one PTO.

How do you know they haven’t made PTO offers to other guys who don’t want to accept until right before camp when they’re sure a contract definitely isn’t coming and a PTO is their only option, did that thought cross your mind?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No shit I know what a PTO is but, even for a PTO, we could've given it to an actual right handed Dman. Schultz and Shattenkirk aren't even close top 4 but they can provide puck movement to the bottom pair.

Our bottom pair has no puck movement other than Emberson to a certain degree. Dermott won't help much if, for some reason, we give him a contract.

We have 3 LD and like 5 RD. If one of our LD gets hurt, you’ve got a guy playing his offside. It’s pretty obvious why we’d give a LD a PTO. The RD gap is in the top 4 though, and you’re not filling it via PTO. It’s a trade that’s required

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Dermot is LD and the guys you’re pining for are RD. There’s nothing stopping them from signing more than one PTO.

How do you know they haven’t made PTO offers to other guys who don’t want to accept until right before camp when they’re sure a contract definitely isn’t coming and a PTO is their only option, did that thought cross your mind?
Yeah it did cross my mind even though you may think of me as an idiot lol. Like I said, I was blind to the fact that we need some depth on the left side, preseason or otherwise. I just hope we get some help on the right side

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
No shit I know what a PTO is but, even for a PTO, we could've given it to an actual right handed Dman. Schultz and Shattenkirk aren't even close top 4 but they can provide puck movement to the bottom pair.

Our bottom pair has no puck movement other than Emberson to a certain degree. Dermott won't help much if, for some reason, we give him a contract.

Tobias please don't act like I'm an idiot. I have no idea what your problem is. Just ignore me if you have a problem.

Think it’s possible Schultz and Shattenkirk aren’t interested in PTOs at the moment?

Imagine getting upset about a PTO.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Think it’s possible Schultz and Shattenkirk aren’t interested in PTOs at the moment?

Imagine getting upset about a PTO.
It's pretty obvious they aren't I guess.

Yeah you're right. I probably shouldn't have gotten upset over this lol. If you notice, I tend to overreact

Reactions: McDoused

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I do get the argument for the left side. After Kulak, all we have is Ben Gleason I think. So yeah I've been very blind to that fact and Dermott does help us on that front at least in the preseason.

What I'm worried about is the right side. I hope we still have a plan to get someone to play there. I'm not saying Stecher wouldn't be a good #6 but wouldn't you feel more safer with one of Schultz or Shattenkirk?
Honestly? I wouldn't.

If we're targeting a puck mover and PP2 type of defenseman, I'd prefer TDA who can actually put up even strength offense with consistency.

I have no preferences with what's available out there. And I'd also be completely content giving some rope to the guys we've already got.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Not really. Youve vommited twice now and are getting upset that he's coming here on a tryout. Seems like a gross overraction for a depth guy that literally has no risk.

Dermott will be coming in here and battling for the #7 spot not competing for a spot in the top 4.

Edit: nevermind it seems like you get it.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Not really. Youve vommited twice now and are getting upset that he's coming here on a tryout. Seems like a gross overraction for a depth guy that literally has no risk.

Dermott will be coming in here and battling for the #7 spot not competing for a spot in the top 4.

Edit: nevermind it seems like you get it.
Yeah, we forget every September that many times these PTO guys typically end up in a veteran AHL role (with a sprinkle of a few NHL games) like Demers, Erne, and Gagner have the past few seasons. A few others wash out like Virtanen and Sutter. I'd argue Chiasson earning a regular role is the exception, not the rule.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, we forget every September that many times these PTO guys typically end up in a veteran AHL role (with a sprinkle of a few NHL games) like Demers, Erne, and Gagner have the past few seasons. A few others wash out like Virtanen and Sutter. I'd argue Chiasson earning a regular role is the exception, not the rule.

To this point, having a handful of players with NHL experience in the AHL is a necessity for any contender to have.

These players obviously aren't great by any means, but teams need guys that can fill a hole for some time if necessary without imploding on themselves. IMO it should be impossible to view signing Dermott and having him in the AHL as a bad thing.

Reactions: guymez

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We could use another NHL experienced LD, if there was an injury we'd have to promote one of the AHL guys, at least Dermott has NHL experience and has played for Knoblaugh before.

These types of players don't have to be anything amazing, just play within the system for the small stretches you are up.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We have 3 LD and like 5 RD. If one of our LD gets hurt, you’ve got a guy playing his offside. It’s pretty obvious why we’d give a LD a PTO. The RD gap is in the top 4 though, and you’re not filling it via PTO. It’s a trade that’s required
In TO Dermott played on both sides. While primarily the third pairing LHD he played up the roster on the right side with guys like Rielly and Gardiner and actually held his own more often than not. I suspect the fact that he could fill in on either side has value for a 7th defenseman. It allows you to avoid having to add another body to the roster if there is a very short term injury.

At one point I think expectations for Dermott in TO were fairly high. They thought they had a legitimate NHL level defensive defenseman.

The other thing to consider is that if the Oilers do at some point make a push for a legitimate top 4 RHD it might mean moving Kulak to find additional cap space. If you had Dermott at league minimum fill his spot that is almost 2 million in additional cap space and at least you have a fairly steady NHL defender to slot into that role.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad