Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I hope a trade would be there but I don't see it. There are some rumors but it's just not a selling time. Like the Flames for instance, do we know for sure that they will be bad? The odds are good but a move like trading Weegar, Kadri or Andersson nukes any small chance they had, and why do that when you can make just as good a trade later in the year?

Has there ever been a fleury of trades at the start of the year?
I do see the possibility but not likely with the Flames. They don't want to deal with us, let them deal with other suitors. They can still work for the Oiler's interests by saturating the market.

I know who I'd like to see, I have a list of three players but I'm not going to jinx it by revealing this list. The list isn't revolutionary. All of the players can work within the cap restraints with a little ingenuity. All three are good fits.

There doesn't need to be an abundant number of trades early season, only one as far as I'm concerned.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
He not even very good. I consider us a better team than Boston. He wasn't good enough to play regular there . Good big or go home
I know he isn't the same player he was like 10 years ago, but I think they need to bring someone into camp to compete with Stecher and Emberson.

A "go big" trade doesn't really make sense until the deadline. Figure out a stop gap measure.

A PTO to Schultz or Shattenkirk makes so much sense. I'm just saying you can't completely shun someone who could potentially help you because they hurt your feelings like 5 years ago.

Maybe he gets completely outplayed by Stecher and Emberson, maybe not. It's absolutely worth the risk.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't really see the point of getting so worked up about any PTO ... it's a try out.

If the player sucks as you want to claim, it'll be evident in pre-season and they'll be cut, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you can't play and contribute at this level it's not like you can some how hide it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So sure, try Shattenkirk or Schultz but I'm not holding my breath. As placeholders they are okay. The playoffs are what matters so we better get someone established and great.

We seem to have endless ability to find millions to add forwards. One more top 4 D shouldn't be such a chore to discover
PArt of the reason why it's such a chore to add a legit top 4 Dman, after adding Ekholm and his salary, is because of Nurse's contract limiting their ability to add a guy with a legit top 4 salary. Sure you can move things around to fit that salary in but the large overpay is forcing the Oilers to work the margins at certain positions. They're lucky that they were able to get Arvidsson and Skinner at those numbers after years of not being able to fit in top 6 forwards because of these overpays elsewhere with Nurse's contract being at the forefront of that.

Ultimately, it is what it is and the Oilers will have to work around it but his contract is always going to be a point of contention because it's forcing the Oilers to ice less balanced rosters as a result. Once the McDavid, Drai and Bouchard contracts kick in, not to mention having to extend Skinner and re-sign Ekholm, the Nurse contract is going to be even more of an issue. Lets hope the cap explodes over the next 3-4 years because this could be a fairly shortlived Cup window unless the Oilers find some real gems through drafting and pro scouting, something they've been failing at for decades. Losing Broberg and Holloway, partly because of the Nurse contract, was not a good start.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Nurse wasn't making so much, I would love for the package whatever in order to get Weegar

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Preds just signed Jusso Parssinen to a 775k deal. He’s 7 months older then Holloway has played the same amount of games over the last two seasons but has doubled Holloways production.

A far less productive player in Holloway would have been making more even with the Oilers apparent “lowball” offer. The fact the Blues are paying him 2.2M over two years is laughable.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Preds just signed Jusso Parssinen to a 775k deal. He’s 7 months older then Holloway has played the same amount of games over the last two seasons but has doubled Holloways production.

A far less productive player in Holloway would have been making more even with the Oilers apparent “lowball” offer. The fact the Blues are paying him 2.2M over two years is laughable.
He actually looks like quite the steal for them in the 7th round.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Pretty much every team that wins the Cup or gets close loses a depth player that played well in the playoffs to overpayment from someone else, and quite often those players underperform in the new destination because they are given more responsibility on a worse team.

I wish there was available data on this to show how much the players that fit this profile underperform on their new deals. Off the top of my head the only examples I can think of where the depth players moved on and they actually worked was the 2010 Blackhawks cap related sell offs of Byfuglien, Ladd, etc.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I don't really see the point of getting so worked up about any PTO ... it's a try out.

If the player sucks as you want to claim, it'll be evident in pre-season and they'll be cut, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you can't play and contribute at this level it's not like you can some how hide it.
Nothing works up HFOil more than 4th line players and 3rd pairing defensemen.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Lots of posters also don’t seem to understand the veteran number requirement for pre season. And we’ll be doing a split squad so PTO’s are handy for that

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Pretty much every team that wins the Cup or gets close loses a depth player that played well in the playoffs to overpayment from someone else, and quite often those players underperform in the new destination because they are given more responsibility on a worse team.

I wish there was available data on this to show how much the players that fit this profile underperform on their new deals. Off the top of my head the only examples I can think of where the depth players moved on and they actually worked was the 2010 Blackhawks cap related sell offs of Byfuglien, Ladd, etc.

The Blackhawks moves you mention were bitter pills for their championship level team with hard move out of quality veteran players and leaders. But worth looking at the return as a model for fostering sustainable windows by building up the prospect pool with equivalency of 2 1st round picks and 3 2nds with additional bit parts.

Byfuglien return: Jeremy Morin, Marty Reasoner, Joey Crab and Atlanta’s first and second-round picks (Kevin Hayes and Justin Holl) in the 2010 draft.

Ladd return: prospect Ivan Vishnevsky and Atlanta’s second round pick (Adam Clendening) in the 2011 draft.

There's always attrition on expensive, mature winning window teams. Usually expensive support players replaced by cheaper youth. Control your assets and act pro-actively it can mitigate by helping prospect pools regenerate (especially when picks and often youth get sacrificed at mature phase runs at winning).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Blackhawks moves you mention were bitter pills for their championship level team with hard move out of quality veteran players and leaders. But worth looking at the return as a model for fostering sustainable windows by building up the prospect pool with equivalency of 2 1st round picks and 3 2nds with additional bit parts.

Byfuglien return: Jeremy Morin, Marty Reasoner, Joey Crab and Atlanta’s first and second-round picks (Kevin Hayes and Justin Holl) in the 2010 draft.

Ladd return: prospect Ivan Vishnevsky and Atlanta’s second round pick (Adam Clendening) in the 2011 draft.

There's always attrition on expensive, mature winning window teams. Usually expensive support players replaced by cheaper youth. Control your assets and act pro-actively it can mitigate by helping prospect pools regenerate (especially when picks and often youth get sacrificed at mature phase runs at winning).
Those sure seem like some pretty shitty returns in regards to the players obtained though. The picks themselves were good, but the players chosen certainly weren't.

Reactions: McHelpus

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Those sure seem like some pretty shitty returns in regards to the players obtained though. The picks themselves were good, but the players chosen certainly weren't.

Those deals were much better on paper at the time than they turned out to be. Ivan Vishnevsky had a lot of hype before he busted.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hindsight is always clearer. And it is shitty knowing that Kevin Hayes is a 713 game NHL player who never wore a Blackhawk jersey. On paper, the return of pedigree draft assets is reasonable - it's always what you do with them. All things considered, the Hawks gave themselves viable collateral to work with as a Cup contender.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Those deals were much better on paper at the time than they turned out to be. Ivan Vishnevsky had a lot of hype before he busted.
That is exactly what I mean. None of those guys really amounted to anything, despite the promise and the high picks. Well, except Reasoner, who I hear turned into the 2nd coming of Joe Sakic. :D

Hindsight is always clearer. And it is shitty knowing that Kevin Hayes is a 713 game NHL player who never wore a Blackhawk jersey. On paper, the return of pedigree draft assets is reasonable - it's always what you do with them. All things considered, the Hawks gave themselves viable collateral to work with as a Cup contender.
Exactly true about the hindsight, which is what I was referring to.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
That is exactly what I mean. None of those guys really amounted to anything, despite the promise and the high picks. Well, except Reasoner, who I hear turned into the 2nd coming of Joe Sakic. :D

Exactly true about the hindsight, which is what I was referring to.
At time of the deal there's a lot of pedigree draft collateral and player depth for a championship team to work with. Garnering quality assets back gives flexibility. Like for instance Savoie for McLeod. No certainty Savoie's high draft pedigree with manifest but a really good bet on near NHL ready cheap talent that can help the Oilers mature phase window team within 1-2 years or even flipped again to help a roster weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad