Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think we're gonna have to bridge Bouchard and just bank on the cap increasing over the course of the bridge.

If you can get him bridged to 3 years x 8.7 or something, I probably would do that though he will probably want 8.7 x 2 to take him straight to UFA. But if we can get him to agree to 3 years, that gives us a four year window with him and by the time that period is over, Nurse's NMC has transferred to a NTC so you have some flexibility in potentially dumping him by that time.

Signing Bouchard long term now to like 11 x 8 is just too restrictive cap wise, I mean you can do it, but you really thin out the team's depth options. We need to maximize our chances to win in the next 2-4 years.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Hell no to Gio - dude is old and trash. I take a 26 year old Ben Gleason over a 41 year old Giordano any day.

I'd welcome Barrie (or Schultz/Shattenkirk) at league minimum to push Josh Brown to the AHL. Let Josh Brown be Captain Condor with his 1M cap hit (doubt anyone would claim him) and let him be a depth option in the playoffs when there is no cap limit

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Barrie
Kulak - Emberson
Stecher

The team would have 1.1M cap space that would accrue over the year (plus a potential Kane LTIR). They could make a splash at the TDL

Reactions: InTheBox

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think we're gonna have to bridge Bouchard and just bank on the cap increasing over the course of the bridge.

If you can get him bridged to 3 years x 8.7 or something, I probably would do that though he will probably want 8.7 x 2 to take him straight to UFA. But if we can get him to agree to 3 years, that gives us a four year window with him and by the time that period is over, Nurse's NMC has transferred to a NTC so you have some flexibility in potentially dumping him by that time.

Signing Bouchard long term now to like 11 x 8 is just too restrictive cap wise, I mean you can do it, but you really thin out the team's depth options. We need to maximize our chances to win in the next 2-4 years.
You'd think that maybe Bouchard would give the team a bit of a break considering how he's been gifted the ultimate opportunity with generational talent getting his passes, and passing to him, and the team bending over backwards for his benefit by forcing up the lineup and then getting Ekholm so we could staple him to Bouchard to help him as much as possible.

But I get it. Modern day I bet he fights for every penny he can

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
My worry with guys like Perry, Ryan, Giorano etc is that these guys are going to play more than they should. If they are playing good than fine. But I just feel the leadership core in general prefers veteran players. I hope Jackson, Bowman, Knoblauch, Coffey etc have their eyes open.
Pretty sure Knob had no issues scratching Ryan and Perry in playoffs

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
My worry with guys like Perry, Ryan, Giorano etc is that these guys are going to play more than they should. If they are playing good than fine. But I just feel the leadership core in general prefers veteran players. I hope Jackson, Bowman, Knoblauch, Coffey etc have their eyes open.
Knob has shown that he will make the tough but correct decisions for the betterment of the team (e.g., starting Pickard for a couple of games vs. Vancouver, scratching Ceci, limiting Nurse's minutes, etc.). Unlike Woody who rode Skinner into the ground vs Vegas in 2023 (we would have beat them if Woody played a rested/hot Campbell - still salty about that lol)

I think the theme of the Oilers regular season will be preserving energy

Reactions: Mr Positive

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Knob has shown that he will make the tough but correct decisions for the betterment of the team (e.g., starting Pickard for a couple of games vs. Vancouver, scratching Ceci, limiting Nurse's minutes, etc.). Unlike Woody who rode Skinner into the ground vs Vegas in 2023 (we would have beat them if Woody played a rested/hot Campbell - still salty about that lol)

I think the theme of the Oilers regular season will be preserving energy

Getting the Nurse-Ceci toy taken away from them as a coaching staff might for the best though, lol.

Even Knob/Coffey went back to it too often. Those two are just like those two kids in junior high where if you put them together it just bombs both of their performance in school.

It's best for now I think that that isn't an option anymore.

Reactions: La Bamba

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Getting the Nurse-Ceci toy taken away from them as a coaching staff might for the best though, lol.

Even Knob/Coffey went back to it too often. Those two are just like those two kids in junior high where if you put them together it just bombs both of their performance in school.

It's best for now I think that that isn't an option anymore.
Imo he went to Ceci because it was the best option. We put guys like Broberg and Kulak as 2RD but they never played comfortable there. Then there's Stecher who looked good but isn't that talented. With enough time, we would learn to hate any of these options just as much as Ceci, if not more, especially after the opposition fully scouts and targets them

We simply need a real top 4 RD. It feels like it's been a decade since our top 4 was okay. Maybe Klef-Larsson/Nurse-Sekera. That 2017 run was pretty good

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Can't stand Kneeordano and him trying to injure 97. Want him nowhere near this team.

100 likes. I don’t want that POS anywhere near our dressing room. So sick of the ‘he’s not that kind of player’ narrative every time he tries to end someone’s career. Plus everywhere he’s been in a leadership role the team has shit the bed when it counted.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Imo he went to Ceci because it was the best option. We put guys like Broberg and Kulak as 2RD but they never played comfortable there. Then there's Stecher who looked good but isn't that talented. With enough time, we would learn to hate any of these options just as much as Ceci, if not more, especially after the opposition fully scouts and targets them

We simply need a real top 4 RD. It feels like it's been a decade since our top 4 was okay. Maybe Klef-Larsson/Nurse-Sekera. That 2017 run was pretty good
It’s funny because in 2017, the 2nd pair was Sekera-Russell, with the left shot Russell playing on his off side

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning
Gryba

i was curious and thought back to the last time the oilers had a good D which was in 08/09 and the 2nd pair also had two left shots

Souray - Gilbert
Grebeshkov - Visnovsky
Smid - Staios

having 2 legit top 4 right shot D has eluded this franchise forever. We were on pace to continue to trend with Nurse-Broberg had the offer sheet never happened. Emberson is the next hope

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It’s funny because in 2017, the 2nd pair was Sekera-Russell, with the left shot Russell playing on his off side

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning
Gryba

i was curious and thought back to the last time the oilers had a good D which was in 08/09 and the 2nd pair also had two left shots

Souray - Gilbert
Grebeshkov - Visnovsky
Smid - Staios

having 2 legit top 4 right shot D has eluded this franchise forever. We were on pace to continue to trend with Nurse-Broberg had the offer sheet never happened. Emberson is the next hope
It kinda looks like I was wrong and the last time we had a good top 4 was probably 2006. We have a habit of having three top 4 Dmen

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
100 likes. I don’t want that POS anywhere near our dressing room. So sick of the ‘he’s not that kind of player’ narrative every time he tries to end someone’s career. Plus everywhere he’s been in a leadership role the team has shit the bed when it counted.
Yes. And “f*** Giordano” should be a universally agreed upon statement by all Oilers fans.

No way in hell that piece of shit pajama boy is on this team.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Not sure where to post this, but has Coffey announced that he will stay on as assistant coach or are we still waiting?

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Not sure where to post this, but has Coffey announced that he will stay on as assistant coach or are we still waiting?
Yeah, I think he's staying...

There wasn't a big formal announcement, but he's still on the website as assistant coach and I think Stauffer said something about it this summer.

Reactions: bellagiobob

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From todays 9 Things article by Kurt Leavins.

“Two attendees to these sessions are young players on value contracts that have an outside shot at cracking this roster. Will Matt Savoie be much further behind than Dylan Holloway? Will Noah Philp be able to pick up where he left off before leaving the game for a year? I hear Philp is in crackin’ good shape.”

I doubt they make the team out of camp but I can see them both on the roster if things go right sometime between Christmas and the TDL.

“Justin Schultz is a possibility in Edmonton. As I indicated last week, the two sides have talked. The Kevin Shattenkirk reports are plausible, but it is more likely that we could see the likes of Travis Dermott. Yes, he is a left but plays both sides. He was coached by Kris Knoblauch in Erie and was represented in the past by Jeff Jackson. There is a split-squad game with the Flames on the twenty-third. They will need 10 D-men for that.”

The Dermott thing seems the most likely.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
IMG_0355.jpeg

Woof…

• Wow
Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I don’t think offering Giordano a pto is an awful idea. I’m not a big fan of Dermott and would like to look at a pto for a D on each side. So having Giordano play a couple games isn’t bad. There is always the waiver wire and he’ll I’m not sure anyone we could sign to a PTO would even be better than Gleason/Dineen.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm actually surprised that Toronto wants him back. I'll give a point to Gio there.
I don’t think offering Giordano a pto is an awful idea. I’m not a big fan of Dermott and would like to look at a pto for a D on each side. So having Giordano play a couple games isn’t bad. There is always the waiver wire and he’ll I’m not sure anyone we could sign to a PTO would even be better than Gleason/Dineen.
It seems harmless as a PTO but I imagine none of Gio, Schultz or Shattenkirk want a PTO. They might have contract offers from bad teams already.

There's also the finite opportunity cost. If we give a spot to Gio just to see, it means we aren't giving that spot to Shattenkirk or Schultz.

I wonder if we want PTOs because we have so many pre season games for some reason. I'm skeptical that we actually want anyone permanently

Reactions: foofighter

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
A twisted, sadistic part of my brain wants us sign Giordano just to make Flames fans squeel. The rest of my brain says nah. He's too old and slow. Not to mention his gutless plays he pulled against McDavid a while back without even getting a penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad