Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Your forgetting “get out of the f***ing way if your not going to fully block the shot” and “Darnell stop trying to block shots with the shaft of your goddam stick - all your doing is deflecting it past our goalies”
It’s not really excessive icing of the puck that kills us with Nurse. It’s the tendency to cover the same guy that someone else already has and the consistent backing way too far off the blue line when facing the rush that does it.
It's all these things.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Seravalli speculating potential Oiler UFA right shot market inquiries:
Shattenkirk is a guy I've mentioned before. 15:47 toi on a good playoff team in Boston. Big minute player previously on bad Ducks lottery teams including some versatility at PK. A one and done established NHL veteran with a career of top4 responsibilities is worth inquiring about.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Shattenkirk is a guy I've mentioned before. 15:47 toi on a good playoff team in Boston. Big minute player previously on bad Ducks lottery teams including some versatility at PK. A one and done established NHL veteran with a career of top4 responsibilities is worth inquiring about.
Has his ego (and opportunities) decreased to the point where he'd consider playing in Canada?

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Can I just say it's nice that we may actually have a decent team in Bako for once this year? Assuming Savoie, Lavoie, and Hamblin all start the year down there, we could have a Calder Cup contender in the making:

Jarventie-Savoie-Lavoie
Hamblin-Pederson-Griffith
Caggiula-Philp-Petrov
Grubbe-Stefan
Berglund, Stonehouse

Gleason-Brown
Dineen-Kemp
Hoefenmayer-Wanner
Carrick

Rodrigue
Delia

There are so many similar D down there I could see an 11F/7D rotation unless Kemp is dealt for a forward of similar pedigree.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Has his ego (and opportunities) decreased to the point where he'd consider playing in Canada?
That's the million dollar paycheque and ego question. I raised it when I first posted. Henrique's a guy who could at least discuss team and city dynamics. The profile of Edmonton through the Cup run was widespread and incredibly positive. Put a ring on it Shatty!

Just good due dilligence.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I don't hate it. Stronger defensively than Schultz or Barrie but I still will suggest that Gustav Lindstrom is my favourite guy left out there.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don't hate it. Stronger defensively than Schultz or Barrie but I still will suggest that Gustav Lindstrom is my favourite guy left out there.
My own opinion is to look for defensive competence vs more purely offensive guys (with history) like Barrie or Schultz. Shattenkirk's no shutdown dynamo but long career as a two-way second pair guy. Coming off a strong team with defensive structure I think is valuable.

Lindstrom is Emberson II. Unproven potential guys at a decent age. But projecting one or both at 2RD on a Cup run team is just that, a lofty projection. Embertson is going to have to play or will be likely a waiver risk and if not get the games in lost to unrestricted free agency. There's risk in only seeing upside in small sample unproven, not all deliver.

Think the Oil have made the bet on a qualified small sample guy with benefit of AHL time with Knoblauch.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I’d be happy with any of the 3 really. Barrie’s still my preference because we know he has chemistry with Nurse, and getting Nurse going is crucial, but Shattenkirk’s probably the best dman of the 3 at this point

Reactions: frag2

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
My own opinion is to look for defensive competence vs more purely offensive guys (with history) like Barrie or Schultz. Shattenkirk's no shutdown dynamo but long career as a two-way second pair guy. Coming off a strong team with defensive structure I think is valuable.

Lindstrom is Emberson II. Unproven potential guys at a decent age. But projecting one or both at 2RD on a Cup run team is just that, a lofty projection. Embertson is going to have to play or will be likely a waiver risk and if not get the games in lost to unrestricted free agency. There's risk in only seeing upside in small sample unproven, not all deliver.

Think the Oil have made the bet on a qualified small sample guy with benefit of AHL time with Knoblauch.
I just look at the guy I would most like to plug beside Nurse and Lindstrom, who had decent numbers on two very bad teams the last two years. I would rather the stronger defensive guy with Nurse.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Any time Boston is interested in a defender I’m interested. If Shattenkirk can still play, I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer.

I’d be happy with any of the 3 really. Barrie’s still my preference because we know he has chemistry with Nurse, and getting Nurse going is crucial, but Shattenkirk’s probably the best dman of the 3 at this point
I liked Barrie’s time here. And like him as a person. But so much of Barrie’s worth is tied up in his PP prowess. We got Bouchard for that now. So whoever we get should be the best 5 on 5 D-man available. Guessing Schultz and Shattenkirk at this stage of their careers is still better than Barrie in that dept.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Curious for sure. Each player slightly different strong attributes but really none are dependable goal suppresser types. Playing with Nurse is going to require a certain mindset and skillset to help mitigate his impulsive moments.

I really like Barrie's time here. But he died on the vine in Nashville so what's left in the tank. Schultz is a solid skater and puck mover but has his risky own zone game matured. His strength concerns in battle areas? I'm not a big Shattenkirk fan as one of the early No Canada guys but he's coming off play on a better team and likely most utility of the three in terms of defending competence.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I just look at the guy I would most like to plug beside Nurse and Lindstrom, who had decent numbers on two very bad teams the last two years. I would rather the stronger defensive guy with Nurse.
He might be. Not opposed for sure. Just that there's another similar guy they've traded for and have 3 third pairing and 7th d-options already. I'm not sure decent results on bad teams projects to increased responsibility and expectation on a Cup contending team. Small sample size is a double edge sword projecting results in very different circumstances.

Agree about a strong, smart player who can help with structured own zone defending. There's a favourable market and team situation though that maybe gets a proven guy who's lived top 4 play for cheap.

Any time Boston is interested in a defender I’m interested. If Shattenkirk can still play, I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer.

I liked Barrie’s time here. And like him as a person. But so much of Barrie’s worth is tied up in his PP prowess. We got Bouchard for that now. So whoever we get should be the best 5 on 5 D-man available. Guessing Schultz and Shattenkirk at this stage of their careers is still better than Barrie in that dept.
I agree. Coming off an elite team with strong team defending and structure. Worth exploring for sure.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
nice move

1000002639.jpg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

That's why the Oilers were never remotely a consideration for those playing Fantasy Hockey.

I love this move for San Jose. Prime cornerstone pieces for textbook rebuild: franchise centre - check; prospective top pair d - check; prospective franchise goaltender - check.

Good use of a second first round pick and topped with protection. Grab an NHL ready tender with the development already bought and paid for.

Reactions: McHelpus and belair

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Yeah, he's 35 but seems to have something left in the tank. Not what he was in his prime, but a good stopgap/cover until we find where we'll get at the deadline and a good #6/7 and PP option for the postseason.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah, he's 35 but seems to have something left in the tank. Not what he was in his prime, but a good stopgap/cover until we find where we'll get at the deadline and a good #6/7 and PP option for the postseason.
Absolutely. This just gives cover with veteran experience at a critical position.

Emberson pushed to a manageable 3rd pairing and two multi-year guys with poison pill waiver deals rotate between 3rd pair, 7th d, and Bako.

Reactions: Faelko

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I’d like to potentially bring in a younger (Age 22-26) dman for that 2nd pair right side. Shattenkirk would be a decent stop gap until the deadline though.

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad