Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
If his AAV was 5 million he would be an absolutely insane steal. Look at the dmen who make around 5 million as a UFA

Zadorov - 5.0
Ristolainen - 5.1
Chiarot - 4.75
Roy - 5.75
Oleksiak - 4.6
Graves - 4.5
DeMelo - 4.9

They’re all like #4 dmen at best. Heck, he’s still better than guys who make substantially more than 5, such as

Severson - 6.25
Orlov - 7.75
Vlasic - 7.0
Skjei - 7.0
Faulk - 6.5
I don't know how he does it but if Bowman moves nurse he deserves a statue next to Wayne.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Lol, shouldn’t a $9.25 mil/yr defenceman be able to carry his own pairing? No matter who the teammate is? The fact that we are questioning this is so bad. We are f***ed with Nurse no matter what. f***. Can’t believe Holland and company signed that contract. So f***ing bad.
That's not really true.
Example a top end goal scorer needs a very good setup man and a very good defensive forward to get top results.

With D there is only 2 of them and they need to work well together. A good D should have a a good or at least competent partner that he can trust to make expected moves.
Whether a puck mover or stay at home they need to read off each other more than any other position.

Look what happened to Bouchard when he got a stable partner.
Nurse didn't get anything like that ever.

Find Nurse that partner and he will shine.
Edit: Nurse might be eratic and need a very stable partner and might be a tough find.

• Haha
Reactions: Markham30

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
His play shouldn't drop off that much. Nashville doesn't know how to use him. Look at Fabbro and Carrier. I don't think they're getting the most out of those 2 as well
I got to be honest I dont know enough about how Nashville utilizes their dmen but historically they have been really good at developing Dmen.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's not really true.
Example a top end goal scorer needs a very good setup man and a very good defensive forward to get top results.

With D there is only 2 of them and they need to work well together. A good D should have a a good or at least competent partner that he can trust to make expected moves.
Whether a puck mover or stay at home they need to read off each other more than any other position.

The problem with Nurse is that he cant deliver on being competent himself.

Bouchard was a young player when Ekholm got here. An unfinished product.
Nurse is about to be 30 years old. He is a finished product and its not pretty.

At his salary we should be able to put other Dmen with him (like Ekholm did with Bouchard) and have Nurse make them better.
The reality with Nurse is the opposite of that.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
The problem with Nurse is that he cant deliver on being competent himself.

Bouchard was a young player when Ekholm got here. An unfinished product.
Nurse is about to be 30 years old. He is a finished product and its not pretty.
He's 30 ot 60. He's not done.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's 30 ot 60. He's not done.
A 30 year old dman who has played well over 600 NHL games is not learning the game any longer.
Thats the point.
You get what you get with Nurse...his days of developing are way behind him.

Last edited:
Reactions: BudBundy

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A 30 year old dman who has played over 600 games is not learning the game any longer.
Thats the point.
I think that you always learn. That said I don't see him having an epiphany and suddenly becoming a guy with a crisp and accurate breakout, low on brainfarts and making his partner better. Let's just hope that he's better than he was last season and plays like a #3 defenseman this season.

Reactions: BudBundy and guymez

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
LHD: Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak
RHD: Bouchard, Emberson, Brown, Stetcher

Unless Nurse comes back greatly improved and one of Emberson, Brown and Stetcher prove to be a #4 defenseman this is not a good enough defense for a team with cup aspirations.
The D is clearly worse than season but it’s not really that worse.

Someone will step up. We only 1 position filled by someone who should be in the AHL. An upgrade will happen by the deadline. I don’t expect our D to be a big issue this year. I feel like system play and coaching will narrow the gap.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think that you always learn. That said I don't see him having an epiphany and suddenly becoming a guy with a crisp and accurate breakout, low on brainfarts and making his partner better. Let's just hope that he's better than he was last season and plays like a #3 defenseman this season.
I hear you but I guess a better way of putting it is that the learning curve for Nurse is leveling off and in most areas of his game he is a finished product. For example...his ability to process the game isnt going to get any better at this point in time.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
the only thing more bat shit crazy is believing that trading Nurse in the next year or two is actually viable. It’s a non starter and realistically the best way to make it become an option is by trying to get the best out of Nurse.
This. No idea why people keep banging the "trade Nurse drum". It's pretty much impossible and just no way it happens.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I thought dmen take awhile to develop? Shouldn't Nurse start playing his best now? This is why I didn't want broberg to walk.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thing is, if "Don't ice the puck or take stupid penalties" hasn't been hammered into his head by now it never will be.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
the only thing more bat shit crazy is believing that trading Nurse in the next year or two is actually viable. It’s a non starter and realistically the best way to make it become an option is by trying to get the best out of Nurse.

Not to mention, you’d be asking a guy with a full NMC to leave the cup favourites, where he’s spent his entire career, and his friends are. How do people think that that conversation ever comes back with an answer other than no? The only chance you can move Nurse is if McDrai leave, and if they leave, you don’t want to move Nurse because we’d go back to tanking, and he’d be a good leader to keep around

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thing is, if "Don't ice the puck or take stupid penalties" hasn't been hammered into his head by now it never will be.

Your forgetting “get out of the f***ing way if your not going to fully block the shot” and “Darnell stop trying to block shots with the shaft of your goddam stick - all your doing is deflecting it past our goalies”

Reactions: frag2

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
That's not really true.

Edit: Nurse might be eratic and need a very stable partner and might be a tough find.
Sorry, have to disagree with you. At that price point you should be able to carry your own pairing. Which he very clearly cannot. Also, not sure I understand your comparison to a “top-end goalscorer” and a defenceman… two completely different positions.

No matter how you look at it, he will never even come close to living up to that contract and it will always be a problem. And will always be an anchor on this team, especially with Drai and Bouch needing new contracts. Might be tough after they get their extensions to compete with other teams.

Gonna be a pretty tough pill to swallow if Broberg or Holloway become something special, and we couldn’t sign them partly because of Nurses’ contract.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It’s not really excessive icing of the puck that kills us with Nurse. It’s the tendency to cover the same guy that someone else already has and the consistent backing way too far off the blue line when facing the rush that does it.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Sorry, have to disagree with you. At that price point you should be able to carry your own pairing. Which he very clearly cannot. Also, not sure I understand your comparison to a “top-end goalscorer” and a defenceman… two completely different positions.

No matter how you look at it, he will never even come close to living up to that contract and it will always be a problem. And will always be an anchor on this team, especially with Drai and Bouch needing new contracts. Might be tough after they get their extensions to compete with other teams.

Gonna be a pretty tough pill to swallow if Broberg or Holloway become something special, and we couldn’t sign them partly because of Nurses’ contract.
Nurse has an anchor trash atrocious contract, but you can blame not signing them on many moves. How much dead cap space do we have?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
While it would be nice to sign another player like Lindstrom, I'm fine to see what the new dynamic is like.

It's funny because before when we had all veteran names it's like 'our vets suck, trade them for better players' or 'our prospects don't get enough opportunity'. Now it's like 'you can't count on kids to take us to the SCF' and 'who is going to play with Nurse, we are screwed'.

I would like to try:
Nurse Bouchard
Ekholm Embersen
Kulak Stetcher

Let Ek mentor a new young kid and see if Nurse-Bouch have any chemistry.
I definitely agree with what you’re getting at here but I also think it’d be a good idea to bring in a third guy like Lindstrom and basically have three guys pencilled in for the 2RD and 3RD spots. Plan to have each of Stecher, Emberson and a third guy(Lindstrom) plan to play 40-45 games up until the deadline and then re-evaluate where you’re at then. If one or both of the younger guys click and take off you might be good to go, if not then you can evaluate what type of defenseman needs to be added. Unfortunately I think the org might believe Josh Brown is the third guy to fit in that rotation who I have very low expectations as to what he might bring. But the Broberg loss definitely might change their thinking.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I definitely agree with what you’re getting at here but I also think it’d be a good idea to bring in a third guy like Lindstrom and basically have three guys pencilled in for the 2RD and 3RD spots. Plan to have each of Stecher, Emberson and a third guy(Lindstrom) plan to play 40-45 games up until the deadline and then re-evaluate where you’re at then. If one or both of the younger guys click and take off you might be good to go, if not then you can evaluate what type of defenseman needs to be added. Unfortunately I think the org might believe Josh Brown is the third guy to fit in that rotation who I have very low expectations as to what he might bring. But the Broberg loss definitely might change their thinking.
We also shouldn't overlook the possibility of Phil Kemp impressing in camp. He's the type of player who could really find himself in the conversation if he outworks a couple of these guys.

I see LD as a more pressing area that could use an invite or two with the loss of Broberg. An invite to Hajek, Dermott or Tinordi might be in the cards simply because the depth isn't there in camp.

Reactions: BarDownBobo

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
We also shouldn't overlook the possibility of Phil Kemp impressing in camp. He's the type of player who could really find himself in the conversation if he outworks a couple of these guys.

I see LD as a more pressing area that could use an invite or two with the loss of Broberg. An invite to Hajek, Dermott or Tinordi might be in the cards simply because the depth isn't there in camp.
They do have Ben Gleason and Cam Dineen as options on the left side as depth, might not have the experience level of the guys you’re talking about here but I’m convinced there’s that big of a drop off. I think one of those two could fill in well enough if injuries do come up to any of the mainstays on the left side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad