Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Slow days of summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For the past few years it's seemed like the Devils have been diminishing Lamoriello's role with the team. It started with the Kovalchuck contract. This to me seems to be proof. The big thing Lamoriello brings regardless of GM competence is influence, he's got a lot of pull with other GM's and the league. As for Conte, he won't be going to Toronto, they brought in Hunter to run their draft for a reason. I think it's likely Dubas retains a strong role in player evaluation via analytics and Lamoriello's likely going to be the point man on dealing with the league and other teams. Toronto has suddenly got a very strong front office with Babcock-Lou-Dubas-Hunter all looking like strong hires for their roles, Shanahan has done a very good job.

Pretty sure Lou never wanted to sign Kovalchuk and was forced by ownership

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...huk-contract-shouldn-t-be-part-of-nhl-1.95545

Edit: I shouldn't say he didn't want to sign him, but he didn't want to go into a stupid long contract

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's apparently a 3rd - still though. Just a weird move all around.

I don't think giving up the 3rd for a guy to be your GM in a rebuild is weird at all. It's very minor.

The real issue is why did they choose Lou. His drafting and developing don't seem to be the greatest.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
That Lou hire is the oddest thing I've seen in awhile. A rebuilding team priding itself on taking a fresh approach to the game, on the cutting edge of analytics, hires a 72 year old GM?

I wonder if they'll owe a pick. I doubt it since he already stepped down.

This is just as bizarre as Edmonton hiring Pat Quinn as Head Coach I'd say lol.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is just as bizarre as Edmonton hiring Pat Quinn as Head Coach I'd say lol.

Quinn at least was showing well working with younger kids in the WJC, something people questioned about his past experience at the pro level.

I think Lou still has valuable information and knowledge, but I don't know I'd make him the GM. He doesn't strike me as an advanced stats guy either, but maybe I'm wrong.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don't think giving up the 3rd for a guy to be your GM in a rebuild is weird at all. It's very minor.

The real issue is why did they choose Lou. His drafting and developing don't seem to be the greatest.

Mark Hunter is in charge of that, they paid him big bucks to do that job.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'd be shocked if Lou was actually doing much day-to-day work. It's Shanny's team.

Yeah i think it's about roles in Toronto, i don't think he's going to be the dictator he had been in NJ, more like a point man in dealing with other teams and clubs. They have recent Shanahan hires who they paid a ton of money to in order to bring in, they aren't bringing Lou in to make Hunter-Dubas-Babcock less relevant, he's there to support them.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
John Shannon tweeted out that the Leafs will in fact have to pay up a pick for Lou. 3rd rounder for a 72 year old GM.

Lou hasn't done a hell of a lot for the Devils over the past decade. I don't really support this decision. I wonder if all of the qualified Gms out there were afraid of going to Toronto.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lou hasn't done a hell of a lot for the Devils over the past decade. I don't really support this decision. I wonder if all of the qualified Gms out there were afraid of going to Toronto.

The more I think of it, the more this makes sense.

What qualified GM would actually want to go there? Unless you are a guy that really isn't qualified would you really want to go somewhere where they have a bunch of guys that are clearly being given power already?

For Lou, he can go and make the big bucks and offer his input.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The one thing the Devils drafted well is defencemen.

I wonder if the Leafs think with Kadri/Marner/Nylander they have enough building blocks at forward and he was brought in to add to Rielly.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

He probably had pics of Shanny when Shanny broke into the league:sarcasm:

TO is probably pulling an Edmonton ala Tambo taking over.

Need a fall guy to mask Shanny/Lowe

Calgary McOilers

Sep 13, 2008
Calgary
He probably had pics of Shanny when Shanny broke into the league:sarcasm:

TO is probably pulling an Edmonton ala Tambo taking over.

Need a fall guy to mask Shanny/Lowe

They needed some experience in management and they now have it. I don't think this is a bad move at all by the Leafs.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
lou is too old to be the full time gm. i think he took the job because all he needs to do is mentor the group and keep in touch with the other teams. i dont think he will be making many of the personnel decisions

he might not be respected by this board (judging by some of the asinine posts) but he is one of the most respected men in hockey today.

he had been saying that he missed the contact you get with other gms. kind of like how players miss the dressing room when they retire.. the banter, the jabs, etc.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Having Lou on board could be a boon for the Leafs, but I do wonder about a few things.

1 - If you're a GM from another team and you're wanting to talk trade with the Leafs, who exactly do you talk to? Lou? Shanny? Babcock? If you're looking to do a deal and time is a factor, do you want to have to deal with a 99-headed management Hydra who may have to answer every question you have with "I'll get back to you after I check with the others."?

2 - He very well may be there as more of a mentor for the rest of the management team, but Lou has never, ever been a committee guy. His history is to do things his way, end of story. If he's suddenly shifted on that and just wants to be one of many, OK I guess but that's a huge change from what he's historically done. I can't help but wonder how long that will last.

Regardless, the circus has absolutely come to Hogtown. It's going to be a fun ride from this vantage point. :popcorn:

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
If there is an expansion draft next year, how does it work for players that have NMC. If we don't protect Ference which makes sense and one of the teams pick him, does he have to go.
What are we allowed to protect and on what type of contract do they have to be on not to be on the list?

McDeathbyCheerios*

If there is an expansion draft next year, how does it work for players that have NMC. If we don't protect Ference which makes sense and one of the teams pick him, does he have to go.
What are we allowed to protect and on what type of contract do they have to be on not to be on the list?
No idea. But I doubt they would want him. And I feel like it's at least 2 seasons away

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Just repeating what I heard from others on here, but apparently in an expansion draft teams are obligated to protect any players they have with a NMC.

IE we would be required to protect Ference

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just repeating what I heard from others on here, but apparently in an expansion draft teams are obligated to protect any players they have with a NMC.

I have vague recollection that it would require a special provision in the NMC (I could be wrong about that), but for sure that is a concern with Ference.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon

Ference's contract won't be an issue the time an expansion draft comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad