Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Slow days of summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Of course his agent was asking for 1.8M, you always ask for more than you expect to receive. I'm sure he asked CGY for 1.8 M as well, but they negotiated and gave him 3 year term in exchange for a 1.2M AAV, while remaining in his home province.

He had no intention of leaving, we flat out refused to negotiate with him and issued him a take it or leave it offer below ~1M. He got more than we offered for longer term and remained in his home province. Plus, they didn't treat him like garbage. That makes a difference.

And yeah, he didnt play in a top 6 role for us but we had the best 4th line in the NHL that season and he was coming on strong. All of the fans on this board at the time knew we had a winner in GlenX, but once again Lowe did not. This happens A LOT.

Reflecting on it, I was pretty upset that we released two hometown boys who were real serious, large bodied hockey players for peanuts in short order. Brodziak / GlenX - why the hell would you do what we did? Its indefensible.
The problem is Glencross only played 26 games for the Oilers. Who knows if he would have played that well if the Oilers had signed him. Glencross was asking for the moon and when the Oilers didn't want to give it to him, he bolted to Calgary. Glencross wanted a raise of more than $1M per season.He made #523,000 between the Oilers and the Blue Jackets and asked for $1.8M per season.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
Of course his agent was asking for 1.8M, you always ask for more than you expect to receive. I'm sure he asked CGY for 1.8 M as well, but they negotiated and gave him 3 year term in exchange for a 1.2M AAV, while remaining in his home province.

He had no intention of leaving, we flat out refused to negotiate with him and issued him a take it or leave it offer below ~1M. He got more than we offered for longer term and remained in his home province. Plus, they didn't treat him like garbage. That makes a difference.

And yeah, he didnt play in a top 6 role for us but we had the best 4th line in the NHL that season and he was coming on strong. All of the fans on this board at the time knew we had a winner in GlenX, but once again Lowe did not. This happens A LOT.

The Oilers definitely should have handled the contract negotiations with Glencross better all those years ago, and it was mentioned on this board at the time, but at this point who cares. He played a total of 6 playoff games in a Flames jersey, all in his first season with them, and didn't make a lick of difference in the grand scheme of things any year after that. 2008 was a long time ago and there are better UFA players available than Glencross.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The problem is Glencross only played 26 games for the Oilers. Who knows if he would have played that well if the Oilers had signed him. Glencross was asking for the moon and when the Oilers didn't want to give it to him, he bolted to Calgary. Glencross wanted a raise of more than $1M per season.He made #523,000 between the Oilers and the Blue Jackets and asked for $1.8M per season.

I think this is the root of the problem for our org. We won't "gamble" a couple hundred thousand dollars on a young, speedy, sizable, physical winger who had success on our roster but we will gift millions on millions to guys like Schultz who don't even have to ask for it.

Reminds me of a few other situations we had to deal with, like inexplicably dumping Roloson for Khabibulin and his massive 35+ contract. We have had lots of guys under our noses who are better options than free agency could have offered and we dump them in favor of chasing ghosts. Petry comes to mind, and probably as soon as next season we will start to feel the same way about Marincin when he cracks the Leafs roster.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010

You do understand how contract negotiations work right? He asked for a high number, the Oilers offered a low number, and from there they should have negotiated a reasonable contract, thats how all contracts work. But Lowe didn't bother to negotiate and Glencross took the better offer from the Flames.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Enough of the Kevin Lowe talk. It's been beaten to death and isn't related to this thread.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You all realize that Korpikoski sucks right? He was a dud on the Coyotes and honestly Klinkhammer is a MUCH better player than him.

I think it's likely Korpikoski will be pressbox fodder soon into the season and probably waiver fodder soon after.

Klinkhammer hits and literally does nothing else. He doesn't fight and he doesn't score. I would happily sign Glencross on the cheap and waive Klinkhammer down to Bakersfield.

In terms of Glencross I would definitely sign him on the cheap for 1-2 years. He played against us with a hatred as if to say "**** you for not believing in me Tambo and Lowe". If he'd do the same against the Flames he'd be a valuable piece to our bottom 6.

ivanthebad*

Klinkhammer hits and literally does nothing else. He doesn't fight and he doesn't score. I would happily sign Glencross on the cheap and waive Klinkhammer down to Bakersfield.

In terms of Glencross I would definitely sign him on the cheap for 1-2 years. He played against us with a hatred as if to say "**** you for not believing in me Tambo and Lowe". If he'd do the same against the Flames he'd be a valuable piece to our bottom 6.

Actually, he has a very strong forcheck

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Actually, he has a very strong forcheck

Which is part of the hitting element. He brings no offense and no toughness to speak of. I don't mind him as a 12th-14th forward but I'd take Glencross over him all day long.

Glencross/Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks would be one of the best 4th lines in the NHL.

Glencross-Lander-Yakupov/Purcell would be a nice 3rd line as well.

Dangles13

Jul 2, 2015
Which is part of the hitting element. He brings no offense and no toughness to speak of. I don't mind him as a 12th-14th forward but I'd take Glencross over him all day long.

Glencross/Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks would be one of the best 4th lines in the NHL.

Glencross-Lander-Yakupov/Purcell would be a nice 3rd line as well.

He would be a nice addition but the Oilers need to ship bodies out first and they also have to keep an eye on the 50 player limit, according to GeneralFanager they are at 47.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Korpikoski can actually be a very effective player when his first, last, and only concern doesn't have to be defence.

He was on pace for 30+ points the year before last, and look at the slugs he was playing with in Arizona's bottom 6. Lander and Purcell will look like Gretzky and Kurri to him.

Word is he had a high ankle sprain this year as well.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
For the hell of it (since it's a LONG, LONG summer until hockey starts as evidenced by the conversations here :) ) ... I did a little stats project in the last hour or so...

Went to http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com and played around with the numbers.

I took all the remaining free agents on the market from this page:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=773192&navid=nhl:topheads

I chose all the free agents that had played over 500 minutes total in the last 3 seasons and then looked at all their contributions to both offense and to defense at 5on5 (how many pts per 60 minutes they had compared to their teammates GF and opposition GA) plus what their team's respective GA was while they were on the ice (again compared to their teammates GA and opposition GF).

Then I ranked them all by how "good" they were according to those combined offensive/defensive stats and also combined those ranks with the ranks of the minutes they all respectively played over the past 3 years.

Keep in mind that the total minutes they played 5on5 is equally weighted to how well they played offensively/defensively so that's why some players may appear higher/lower based on the games/minutes they actually played.

Didn't take all that long honestly although it sounds crazy reading it above. :)

59 free agent forwards and 35 free agent dmen are left on the market that have played 500+ minutes at 5on5 over the past 3 seasons.

Anyway... here's the completely objective list (not my opinions on these... just what these particular stats spit out) of who the best remaining free agents are:

Forwards:

1 Fehr
2 Semin
3 Boyes
4 Ryder
5 Tlusty
6 Cullen
7 Erat
8 Dwyer
9 Moss
10 Paille
11 Fleischmann
12 Santorelli
13 Upshall
14 Bernier
15 Goc
16 Roy
17 Stempniak
18 Sheppard

Dmen:

1 Zidlicky
2 Carle
3 Gonchar
4 Ehrhoff
5 Bellemore
6 Meszaros
7 Franson
8 Stanton
9 Hedja
10 Weaver
11 Rozsival
12 Volchenkov

Keep in mind these are the stats based on what they all comparatively did over the PAST 3 seasons... and going forward... who knows what everyone will do and who the best of these will be in the future.

What's the list look like to you all... does it do a decent job in ranking what's the best of what's left on the UFA market?

Paille-Fehr-Semin
Fleischmann-Tlusty-Boyes
Dwyer-Cullen-Ryder
Moss-Santorelli-Erat
Upshall-Bernier

Carle-Zidlicky
Gonchar-Bellemore
Ehrhoff-Franson
Meszaros

How well do you think that team full of UFA players would do in the NHL this season?

Anyway... just something to pass the time and play around with.

edit... added buyout players that aren't listed on the "official" NHL free agents list.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A small thing that I'm extremely excited for?

Not having half of this board wanting to pick up whatever marginal slug goes on waivers, than pitching a fit when they pass through. :laugh:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Tlusty is one of those guys who just seems to fly under the radar.

I love Zidlicky but he's as old as dirt.

Brain freeze - has Semin signed yet?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Not that I know of... for some reason he isn't on the "official list" that the NHL puts out and keeps up to date... so I missed him up above as well.

edit...

Must be something to do with buyouts not listed on the official free agent page... because both Semin and Boyes aren't listed on there.

edit again...

List of buyouts/terminations/retirements etc:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_NHL_transactions

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A small thing that I'm extremely excited for?

Not having half of this board wanting to pick up whatever marginal slug goes on waivers, than pitching a fit when they pass through. :laugh:

You're getting ahead of yourself. The first time a failed recent first rounder ends up on waivers there will be a contingent on here wanting us to go out and claim him.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything

Tlusty was overrated earlyin his career (likely the "Toronto factor"), but for the last couple of seasons has actually been quite underrated. If we didn't have Purcell and Korpikoski, I would be all for signing him. A little OT, but I actually wish we'd have gotten Frolik in free agency, and it kills me that the Flames added such a good player for such a reasonable deal.

ivanthebad*

I still think there is a trade in the mix. The Oilers made MAJOR moves with the front house. Total cleanhouse.

But with the roster, other than the signing of Sekera:handclap:, that is about the only significant move. It seems as they have gone too far to just let things lie on some question marks.

Sekera-proven
Letestu-likely to proven
McD-likely to proven(ok, homerun but not jumping ahead!!)
Gryba-likely
Korpikoski-questionable
Reinhart-questionable
Talbot-questionable to likely

Pretty sure one more foresure player is on the way.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Korpikoski can actually be a very effective player when his first, last, and only concern doesn't have to be defence.

He was on pace for 30+ points the year before last, and look at the slugs he was playing with in Arizona's bottom 6. Lander and Purcell will look like Gretzky and Kurri to him.

Word is he had a high ankle sprain this year as well.

Pakarinen > Korpikoski

I don't believe Korpikoski makes the team.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Haha competition for spots going into training camp? What bollocks is thar?

Although I do hope we have a set line up by the last preseason game. Unlike Eakins

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Haha competition for spots going into training camp? What bollocks is thar?

Although I do hope we have a set line up by the last preseason game. Unlike Eakins

One of many Eakins mistakes. IMO stick with the Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line and then try to piece together the rest of the forward lines and the d-pairs.

McDeathbyCheerios*

One of many Eakins mistakes. IMO stick with the Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line and then try to piece together the rest of the forward lines and the d-pairs.
What sucked about camp is one of our most effective lines was Pouliot - Draisaitl - Perron but that never really saw the light of day even though they looked great in camp. Eakins had no idea what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad