Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016

Too many people are sleeping on Slepyshev, he's an improved player I see him snatching a 3rd line spot with an outside shot at a spot on McDavid's line depending on how the summer unfolds.

If you watch that clip again, you will notice that there is no body contact on anyone during that entire sequence. I would like to see him do that with 2 guys water skiing off of him before I make any judgements one way or another.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Too many people are sleeping on Slepyshev, he's an improved player I see him snatching a 3rd line spot with an outside shot at a spot on McDavid's line depending on how the summer unfolds.

Did he say he's coming back? Slepyshev would look better with Yamamoto and Draisaitl. RNH can anchor the 3rd line.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I wouldn't plan for the top end of those projections, if I had to hazard a guess I'd say it ends up at 85M, which is still good news for the Oilers. Try and unload Russell, Khaira and Chiasson, Benning, re-sign AA, Ennis and Green, and then trade for or sign a good 3C to replace Haas and you should still have some cap flexibility.

RNH - McD - Kassian
AA - Drai - Yam
Ennis - 3C - Neal
Benson - Sheahan - Archie

Klef - Lars
Nurse - Bear
Jones - Green

With Bouchard eventually forcing his way into the lineup next season when injuries inevitably occur.

Reactions: dcnpk and ujju2

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Higher cap is nothing but good news for teams who spend to it like us. imagine getting 6.5m more room next year...that would be incredible. Allows us to re-sign some people and even go hunting July 1.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Excellent news for the Oilers! We got some extra room to resign Nuge, and any of our young guys. We are looking good for the next 2-3 years cap-wise :D

Hopefully it gets finalized before the draft ....

That was just embarrassing last year.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Higher cap is nothing but good news for teams who spend to it like us. imagine getting 6.5m more room next year...that would be incredible. Allows us to re-sign some people and even go hunting July 1.

Didn't you say you had it on good authority Hall was coming back? ;)

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I imagine it will be on the lower end of that... higher it is... more escrow. Players hate escrow.

An extra 3-4 mil in cap space should help us out...
Still scared of the Nuge contract, though.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I imagine it will be on the lower end of that... higher it is... more escrow. Players hate escrow.

An extra 3-4 mil in cap space should help us out...
Still scared of the Nuge contract, though.

There's some chance they eat a higher escrow this year.

Last summer was pretty rough for mid-tier free agents. Almost everyone signed for less than they hoped for and expected. And they are negotiating a new CBA for 2022 that will address escrow to some extent. So maybe a philosophy of eating higher escrow now to get the cap up, and get some good contracts signed now would result in a net gain for players who would pay far less escrow in years 2-forward on those contracts.

But you plan for the worst and hope for the best, so 84M is probably what I'd plan for. Less if coronavirus kills their playoff gate.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I thought the retention stays on the cap regardless of retiring?
The cap recapture penalty is only for contracts signed during the 2005-12 CBA that were front-loaded to keep the cap hit down.

Edit: after looking at the CBA I think there could be a penalty if Lucic retired. There seems to be confusion over whether it applies to just pre-2012 contracts (as I thought) and any long-term contract that ends with a retirement. Can anyone clear this up?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Positive

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
The cap recapture penalty is only for contracts signed during the 2005-12 CBA that were front-loaded to keep the cap hit down.

That's what I gathered too. Doesn't affect us because thankfully, we didn't have GMs who were stupid enough to give a player a 12+ year contract that they would NEVER play out.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Hall and Slepy to this forward group? That would be amazing.

Hall-McDavid-Kassian
Ennis-Drai-Yamo
AA-Nuge-Slepy
Archibald-Sheahan-Neal

Pretty deeeeeeeep.....

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
If I recall correctly, didn't we try Hall and McD for the year and it failed?
They played about 75:58 mins together in total at 5 on 5, I'd say that's basically 3 games together worth of ice-time, plus late game line loading and staggered line changes leading to a bit of overlap.

Reactions: frag2

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Nuge-Mcd-Neal
Hall-Drai-Yamo
AA-xxxx-Kassian
Ennis-Sheehan-Slepy

Move Nuge to 3C for the playoffs though.

Reactions: mullet

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
The only way I consider Hall is if he signs for Chris Kreider money. He is too injury prone for my liking. I would rather take a couple swings on Anthansiou types, then be locked in locked in longer term with Hall.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Did he say he's coming back? Slepyshev would look better with Yamamoto and Draisaitl. RNH can anchor the 3rd line.
Multiple media personalities have strongly hinted that he could be coming back this summer and most KHL signings aside from the established marquee names or young super studs rarely get so much talk, generally when we get someone from the KHL it's a single whisper hinting at the possibility a few days before it happens and then it's done. For the record don't like your proposed line changes.
If you watch that clip again, you will notice that there is no body contact on anyone during that entire sequence. I would like to see him do that with 2 guys water skiing off of him before I make any judgements one way or another.
I did watch it, I'm pretty sure in the NHL he would of eaten one cross check going around the guy by the net, depending on who delivered it, maybe it knocks him off balance. Slepy is reasonably stable on his feet and is more capable than most of dealing with NHL physicality, there were a couple games with us even where he almost looked like a quality 2nd line player, but he couldn't keep the momentum going, didn't have the consistency to stay at that level, it looks like he might of found it this year. At present Slepy's NHL points equivalency would put him at roughly 51 points, he's on a stacked team, so it's probably warranted to dampen that projection a little bit, but I could see 35-40 points out of him, provided Tippett likes him and puts him in some offensive situations.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Team is playoff-bound and this thread is talking about Hall again. How's Arizona doing?

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Zero interest in Hall, and he was my favourite player while he was here. Completely off of that train.

Rising cap would be amazing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad