Rumor: Rumors and Proposal Thread | Draft Edition, Rumors In OP/1st Post of Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Joe McDonald ‏@ESPNJoeyMac · 6m6 minutes ago
There's a chance Rangers deal Cam Talbot before draft begins. Calgary a strong possibility. Flames better chance than Edmonton at this point

Considering what their genius GM gave Engelland last year, I'm optimistic that the price will be stupid.

AvOiL

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2008
Calgary, AB
He's far too unproven for me to have much interest. Plus he had a pretty mediocre season. If he didn't post godly numbers last season would anyone even know his name this year?

Scrivens posted godly numbers on that LA team last year too...

I totally understand the concern, but how much more has Talbot proven? I don't think his sample size is much better. He posted very good numbers on a very good NYR team, boasting a very good defence core.

It would just suck to trade #33 and #57 for him, only to lose him to free agency after one season. You don't have that concern with Jones because of his age and contract situation.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Wow so Anderson wont be traded and Buffalo is out of the Talbot mix = We're gonna overpay for Talbot :S

McDeathbyCheerios*

Wow so Anderson wont be traded and Buffalo is out of the Talbot mix = We're gonna overpay for Talbot :S
Except...Chia was straight up saying he wasn't willing to overpay

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm not saying weber isn't great I'm saying a team with a cluster that is 20 years of age shouldn't put most of its assets in a defensman that is 10 years older then the heart of the cluster.

Yes, my counter would be he would make SUCH a difference as player, it might push things along more quickly offsetting the age difference.

His contract gets better vs. the increase in the cap as time goes by.

Also, he would do wonders for all the young defensemen on the way. Oh what Nurse could learn from Weber.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Joe McDonald ‏@ESPNJoeyMac · 6m6 minutes ago
There's a chance Rangers deal Cam Talbot before draft begins. Calgary a strong possibility. Flames better chance than Edmonton at this point

Considering what their genius GM gave Engelland last year, I'm optimistic that the price will be stupid.

Will the Flames give up #18? If they do, good on them. :laugh:

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Yes, my counter would be he would make SUCH a difference as player, it might push things along more quickly offsetting the age difference.

His contract gets better vs. the increase in the cap as time goes by.

Also, he would do wonders for all the young defensemen on the way. Oh what Nurse could learn from Weber.

It doesn't really matter there is no way they trade weber. everything you are saying is the opposite for them if they trade him and they are closer to winning then we are.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I totally understand the concern, but how much more has Talbot proven? I don't think his sample size is much better. He posted very good numbers on a very good NYR team, boasting a very good defence core.

It would just suck to trade #33 and #57 for him, only to lose him to free agency after one season. You don't have that concern with Jones because of his age and contract situation.

Neither are proven. But Talbot is still about twice as proven. Almost twice the number of starts and he has posted elite numbers for two seasons.

Jones has one elite season (on a team that had Scrivens post a .930 sv%) and one poor season.

Don't get me wrong. I don't really want to move two seconds for either of them. But if I was going to, it would be Talbot absolutely.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Can anyone explain to me why we are even interested in Talbot?

Unproven goalie, small sample size, behind one of the leagues best defence.

This just sounds like way to much potential for disaster.

Anyone have a chance to compare Scrivens numbers in LA vs Talbots in NY? I would imagine they are very similar.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Two second round picks (paritcularly when one of them is #57) are unlikely to amount to an impact NHL player. This is why I don't really think that "proven" aspect matters so much, because Jones is infinitely more proven than any guy they're going to draft at 33.

Though I do think if they do land Martin Jones, they do need an upgrade on Ben Scrivens or risk a very bad year in goal.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray

Unproven goalie, small sample size, behind one of leagues best defence.

there has been a lot of work showing that in the amount he has played he is a potential superstar starter. Most goalies with his kind of numbers over their first 60 games are great for the rest of their career.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
If Calgary trades for Talbot i think it'll be good for Edmonton in regards to Lack and Ramo. With only 3-4 teams looking at getting Lack his value will go down, especially considering other than San Jose all the other clubs are looking for a backup or 1b so they probably won't want to pay a lot. With Buffalo getting Lehner we're talking about only 2 teams that truly need a starter, so if San Jose gets Lack then Ramo should be ours and for cheap since i'm sure he wants to be a #1. I just hope we don't give up something stupid for Talbot, too much risk to pay through the nose.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

He has posted excellent numbers at every level.

His sample size is small but not too bad - he played half a season this year and has more games in the past.

The quality of the Rangers defense has been discussed and is highly debateable.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003

Anyone have a chance to compare Scrivens numbers in LA vs Talbots in NY? I would imagine they are very similar.

My feelings as well. Talbot is a more unproven Scrivens.

Lehner traded to Buffalo - must mean that Andersen is off the market now. That's too bad, he's who I would've preferred. Ottawa got a hell of a deal for him too, and dumped cap in Legwand to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad