Euro: Round of 16 - Germany v. Denmark - June 29

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Feels like this could be a match for Füllkrug...I might start Raum at LB too because his crosses could help us unlock that Danish defense.

Füllkrug
Musiala - Gundogan - Wirtz
Kroos - Andrich
Raum - Schlotterbeck - Rüdiger - Kimmich
Neuer​

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
IMO Germany will advance.
Füllkrug MUST start. One request, Nagelsmann: Work on your Sane fetish. He doesn't work. Thanks.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fullkrug is the best nine we've had since Klose.

Just goes about his business.

Eh. Füllkrug is a better finisher but he has a lot of Gomez to him in that he's limited as a presser and he doesn't always contribute to the build up play well...he's had some games where his passing and lay-offs were just brutal, for both BVB & the NT.

But Nic is a great goal-getter and in games where we'll dominate possession even without Kai up front, where we'll likely face a low block, he's crucial for us.

I would probably start him and bring Kai off the bench once we've already cracked that Danish defense, but I understand continuing to build chemistry with Kai in the starting 11 because we'll need Havertz against teams like Spain, Portugal, & France, if we advance.

IMO Germany will advance.
Füllkrug MUST begin. One request, Nagelsmann: Work on your Sane fetish. He doesn't work. Thanks.

Sane was absolutely dominant to start this season...but yeah, Nagelsmann wasn't able to get the best out of him with Bayern and so far he hasn't been able to get the best out of him with the NT.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Eh. Füllkrug is a better finisher but he has a lot of Gomez to him in that he's limited as a presser and he doesn't always contribute to the build up play well...he's had some games where his passing and lay-offs were just brutal, for both BVB & the NT.

But Nic is a great goal-getter and in games where we'll dominate possession even without Kai up front, where we'll likely face a low block, he's crucial for us.

I would probably start him and bring Kai off the bench once we've already cracked that Danish defense, but I understand continuing to build chemistry with Kai in the starting 11 because we'll need Havertz against teams like Spain, Portugal, & France, if we advance.

Sometimes you just need a guy who can shoot on net and score.

For a lot of matches thus far, Havertz wasn’t exactly doing anything to help with the build up.

I agree that he’s a lot like Gomez but his tenure was pretty parallel with Klose so he didn’t get a lot of looks as the #1 option.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sometimes you just need a guy who can shoot on net and score.

I agree that he’s a lot like Gomez but his tenure was pretty parallel with Klose so he didn’t get a lot of looks as the #1 option.

Gomez actually started around 30 games for us when Miro started to slow down...I used to get mad at Jogi for it all the time lol...but it was often like playing 10 v 11.

I don't think it's as extreme with Füllkrug, but I don't think we'd have beaten France in that friendly if we had started him ahead of Havertz.

That all said, this Danish team is exactly the kind of group that we could need Nic for...if Kai can't burn those slow CBs early.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't have a strong opinion about it. I think Havertz is more likely to bury a shot from 20 yards, Fullkrug is more likely to bury a header in the box. It will probably come down to one or two situations like that to make the difference. One advantage Fullkrug has right now is confidence. Havertz' body language looked pretty bad in the Swiss game.

Reactions: Bon Esprit

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
5s7kPB6OKuUec.webp

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Nothing against the Danes, but it would good for the tournament and spectators if the host nation progresses at least a bit further.

Also hopefully this isn't the last match of Kroos career.

Havertz starts, and Wirtz is benched, Sane in the line-up over him.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The Danes low key don't like the Germans at all, and I think they probably consider Germany the closest thing to rivals. I think this match has a chance of getting chippy.

Also Nagelsmann will get absolutely destroyed in public opinion if Germany don't advance, especially since he's starting Sane who has been very poor so far in the tournament.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Impressive first quarter by Germany.

Too bad Schlotterbeck goal was disallowed, not sure how much Kimmich did that on purpose. The Danish player was too slow to react to Schlotterbeck's run and then just run onto back of Kimmich, who wasn't paying attention.

As Danes are not a good counter-attack team, not sure what their gameplan is.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad