Berube Stanley Cup Lines 2019 - What are the main differences compared to leafs?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Thought it would be fun to look at the roster and lines St. Louis Iced to win the Stanley Cup in 2019 under Craig Berube....and compare to the what we have with the Leafs now

The lines were:

Jaden Schwartz--Brayden Schenn--Vladimir Tarasenko
Sammy Blais--Ryan O’Reilly--David Perron
Pat Maroon--Tyler Bozak--Robert Thomas
Ivan Barbashev--Oskar Sundqvist--Alex Steen

Joel Edmundson--Alex Pietrangelo
Jay Bouwmeester--Colton Parayko
Carl Gunnarsson--Robert Bortuzzo

Binnington

Are we close to matching that level of depth and firepower? If not, what are we missing and how far are we?

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Thought it would be fun to look at the roster and lines St. Louis Iced to win the Stanley Cup in 2019 under Craig Berube....and compare to the what we have with the Leafs now

The lines were:

Binnington

Are we close to matching that level of depth and firepower? If not, what are we missing and how far are we?
Winnipeg over one of TB, Florida, or Boston in the first round?

Lol, probably team concept and warrior mentality over the individualistic mercenary culture we have with the Leafs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

The lines were:

Binnington

NO. Leafs can’t touch the heart and soul on this Blues team, sure they have more high end talent, but we know that doesn’t mean squat in the playoffs. Plus that D is miles better than this D Pizza Boy has cobbled together……..

Reactions: PromisedLand

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I don’t believe we have the depth to match that blues team, but that can change after the deadline.

It was a solid team, but it was a cup winner because of one reason IMO, Jordan Binnington. A hot goalie is the single biggest factor in the playoffs. They can’t score you goals, but they can make the biggest difference. See Bob, Vas, Quick, etc. Our biggest opportunity to become a legit contender is with Woll staying healthy and playing to his ability.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

The lines were:

Binnington

Lets do a comparison - based on roster right now and what I'd like to see berube do

Knies - Matthews-Domi (I think this is as good or better than Blues)
IMO Knies > Schwarts and
Matthews > Schenn.
Tank>>Domi though, but Domi can up his game (I hope)

McMann - Tavares - Nylander (If Nylander and McMann can cook - this could be as good or better.)
IMO McMann>Blais McMann also plays heavy hockey
ROR>> Tavares IMO. Tavares is just too slow. I don't doubt Tavares' heart or determination its just he is too slow
Nylander>Perron when it comes to speed, shot, playmaking HOWEVER Perron > Nylander when it comes to bigboy hockey, scoring garbage goals, going to the net and in the corners or taking hits to make plays

Robertson*-Holmberg-Marner (i think its pretty comparable and could be better if marner pulls his weight.

Robertson has finnesse/speed Maroon has FAT
Bozak and Holmberg IMO are pretty comparable except Bozo was good at face-offs
Marner is just finesse, Thomas was big boy hockey though )

Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok/Reaves (Blues 4th line is clearly better IMO)

Rielly-Tanev
Blues had twin towers back there with this pairing, for us Rielly will have to up his game). I think blues clearly have a better #1 pair

OEL McCabe
Again Blues have twin towers back there. I liked McCabe's game, OEL is TBD though. I think this may be comparable to Blues 3rd pair.

Benoit Liljegren
I think Blues pairing is better in terms of snarl; Leafs pairing is better in terms of puck movement (I am high on Lily btw...) Long story short. Given teh systems blues played their 3rd pair is better than leafs 3rd pair

Binnington
Woll/Stolarz
Its goalies so its voodoo LMAO :laugh:

One thing is for certain IMO; Berube cannot coach the same style of hockey for the Leafs as we don't have the personnel especially on defense to play that style. I think our forward group is more skilled BUT.... cannot play bigboy hockey (especially marner when there is no time/space i.e. in playoffs).

Will be interesting to see how Berube coaches Leafs because they are very different in make-up and structure than the Blues team that won the cup.

On paper we have more skill, we just haven't shown much heart, intensity, desire or to use ShanaCon's phraseology "killer instinct". On paper our forward group is much better and blues defensive group is much better. However, when it comes to heart and soul, determination, fighting for pucks/position, board battles, going to the net to score garbage goals, etc... Blues overall have significant edge over the Leafs as the roster currently stands. And in playoffs, fancy shit goes to hell, its the WILL over SKILL that matters in playoffs as games get tighter, and tighter and tighter with no time and space.

TBD of course.... One thing I am absolutely sure about is that if Berube has the same systems as the Blues he was running, leafs will not achieve the results because the personnel they have do no mimic the personnel blues had. Berube will have to be inventive

Last edited:
Reactions: myleafs

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
NO. Leafs can’t touch the heart and soul on this Blues team, sure they have more high end talent, but we know that doesn’t mean squat in the playoffs. Plus that D is miles better than this D Pizza Boy has cobbled together……..
Yeah that Defense St. Louis had was massive

Reactions: rumman

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Winnipeg over one of TB, Florida, or Boston in the first round?

Lol, probably team concept and warrior mentality over the individualistic mercenary culture we have with the Leafs.

Dead on.

That Blues team was much more like the current Panthers in play style and mentality compared to our roster.

Berube might be in for a steep learning curve with this group

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We did have five of those players in our lineup at one point or another. Realistically, different teams, different conferences, different paths to the Cup. The team's current roster should also change even further once the push to the playoffs really amps up. I can't yet determine if this team is better or worse than the team which began its playoff series on the road in Boston and ultimately lost in seven.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
That St Louis team is built way, way different. Idk if Berube’s dump and chase, grind style will work with an up tempo, skilled lineup. I hope so but I’m not sure how well of a fit his systems will be when he doesn’t have the personal to implement them.

Reactions: torontoblood

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think this year's Nashville Predators will have a lot more in common with the Blues than this version of the Leafs. The comparison isn't really worth making at this point.

Reactions: torontoblood

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Imo for us to be comparable we need a 3rd line an upgrade on 4c, and a 2 top 4 defence, one of which has 40+ point upside.

We can call out the bros for not getting it done but i feel like they have it in them with the right coaching.

the bummer is too many gaps to fill via trade and no cap space so as usual we will be good, but not good enough. The bros leaving no cap for depth are 100% at fault for that (and the people who agreed to the contracts)

Knies. Matthews. Nylander
Domi Tavares. Marner
Xxxxx. Xxxxxx. Xxxxxx
Mcmann. Xxxxx. Jarnkrok

Rielly. Tanev
Xxxxx. Xxxxxx
OEL. McCabe

Woll/Stolarz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad