Euro: Round of 16 - England v. Slovakia - Jun. 30

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Predictably shite.

Walker, Trippier, Rice and Kane have been terrible. Guehi slow to react for the goal. Mainoo the only one showing something.

Performance feels like the Iceland game in 2016.

Reactions: Jussi

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not to be the guy who plays sports psychologist but I honestly thought it was odd that Kane was so butthurt about former players acting like asshole pundits and actually publically airing that grievance. Seemed weak. You know he was speaking on behalf of the group too.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Not to be the guy who plays sports psychologist but I honestly thought it was odd that Kane was so butthurt about former players acting like asshole pundits and actually publically airing that grievance. Seemed weak. You know he was speaking on behalf of the group too.
To be fair, those former player asshole pundits never got close to winning anything and somehow act like they were a golden generation.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Agreed. Said to my pal at the time that it was revealing of a pretty fragile mentality in the camp. You have to use that and build from it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be fair, those former player asshole pundits never got close to winning anything and somehow act like they were a golden generation.

All of this is true.

But publicly sharing that it bothers you what a bunch of has-beens say when you are playing like utter shite makes you question their priorities.

It reminds me a bit of that thing with the Leafs not saluting the crowd back when Phaneuf was Captain. Just petty.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Sure but you're in Germany in the middle of a tournament. Why are you even paying attention to that? It's just dudes blabbering on TV. Hell, at the very worst just call it out after the tournament is over or something or reach out privately.

Reactions: NyQuil and gary69

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Shearer and Lineker (who are the pundits in question) got basically as close as this group has

Lineker was great at two WC finals tournaments, certainly not his fault they didn't win. Not that I like him as pundit (even less as a person), but he is okay as a studio host.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Halftime show on german TV just mentioned how remarkly little coaching Southgate does compared to the Slovak coach who runs up and down the sideline actively giving instructions.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lineker was great at two WC finals tournaments, certainly not his fault they didn't win. Not that I like him as pundit (evenless a person), but he is okay as a studio host.

He was -the- star when I went to British prep school in the mid to late 80s.

Funny looking fella. Looked like a Beatle.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
All of this is true.

But publicly sharing that it bothers you what a bunch of has-beens say when you are playing like utter shite makes you question their priorities.

It reminds me a bit of that thing with the Leafs not saluting the crowd back when Phaneuf was Captain. Just petty.
Sure but you're in Germany in the middle of a tournament. Why are you even paying attention to that? It's just dudes blabbering on TV. Hell, at the very worst just call it out after the tournament is over or something or reach out privately.
Definitely shows a weak mentality to be responding to it mid-tournament. No arguments from me there. I just find it wild that a bunch of former English players say that about the current team when they didn't win anything. Feels like they're one of the few countries that has such vocal criticism from former players. It's one thing when Maradona or Ronaldinho have done it (they actually won world cups), but the English pundits are a bunch of losers.

Shearer and Lineker (who are the pundits in question) got basically as close as this group has
I don't even know who the pundits in question are, because it feels like every former England player has said something at some point this tournament.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad