Confirmed with Link: Matt Roy 6x5.75

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Hivemind: "this is a lot!"

Sorry i couldn't leave all of that in my reply...

Some of the stuff you discuss I agree with. Some I don't...

Don't know the history but you're not main boards level "deserves to die" as I feel about some of them haha

I'm in Tour De France watching mode now. Good day and good nite to you!

Reactions: RandyHolt

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
He'll have just turned 35 once his contract comes to an end. So the Caps get his age 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, and 34 seasons assuming he stays with the Caps for the duration of his contract. It doesn't look bad at all looking at it that way.

I believe the highest AAV hit is also at the front of the contract for Roy so if he sucks after year 2 or 3 it's not as bad and you would assume the salary cap will continue rising.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I don’t know why you all argue @Hivemind ? He/she won’t change their mind, they won’t talk in good faith, and they will be rude and condescending the entirety of the conversation

When it comes to this poster … it’s like the old War Games quote from Joshua “the only way to win….is not to play”.

I am sure he/she is the one poster that gave GMBM a D for this off season :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: StrikingDistance

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
b-b-b-but disgruntled* LA Kings fans on HF Boards said he was the woooooooooorst in the locker room (because obviously they were also in the locker room and and sat closer to PLD than Roy did).

*justifiably disgruntled, of course. (though they should also blame the GM acquiring another center they didn't need in the first place and the coach for mismanaging him)

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
One underrated thing about the Ovechkin captaincy is how he's pretty much always kept a good room. I can't recall current or former players having anything negative to say about it since maybe the Boudreau era?
This is a very good point.

The last drama I can recall — other than Kuznetsov’s “antics” …..hmmm….. didn’t we have a 13th forward that was making fun of another players wife? Or am I misremembering that? I cannot for the life remember that cats name. Was a while ago. Mid of last decade, sometime?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

The last drama I can recall — other than Kuznetsov’s “antics” …..hmmm….. didn’t we have a 13th forward that was making fun of another players wife? Or am I misremembering that? I cannot for the life remember that cats name. Was a while ago. Mid of last decade, sometime?
Was there something with Daniel Winnik? He got into the Hoffman/Karlsson beef after he left the Caps so I may be conflating.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond

that would be brendan leipsic who was immediately shipped to the KHL

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That's the guy. Granted, the team cannot stop a random player from being an idiot on occasion, but they have not suffered fools for any length of time, keeping the room cool, for pretty much all of Ovi's tenure.
It's really something, honestly. They talk about character and leadership all the time up and down the organization. And yeah, that stuff doesn't show up in boxcars or fancies, but it gets around. Go to DC and you'll be treated with respect. You'll be valued. It's a family. You'll be supported and given a chance to succeed. If it doesn't work out, they'll do their best to find you a soft landing. It's all of that.

It's why, for instance, no amount of skill was getting Connelly drafted to this franchise. He may well have changed, but they're not risking the culture for anyone.

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I made no comments here saying GMBM is a poor GM

No, you were critical of this specific contract, then tied it to two other past contracts, then made the same point about Oshie, then pointed with dissatisfaction at the LTIR numbers, then the rare dead cap we took on to rid ourselves of our worst contract, and so on.

So no, you didn't say "GMBM is a poor GM." You just pointed to like 8 examples of his work that you find... subpar? Shitty? Ill-advised? Dumb?

You pick the word and equivocate however you'd like. You commented on a thing, we brought in context because that's how conversations go, then you broadened your point accordingly. I didn't say you think he's a poor GM. I said you were using hindsight to bag on him, because you were. It would've taken a crystal ball or a time machine to outright avoid some of the missteps you alluded to.

I've discussed it in multiple other threads before, but I tend to hate the "middle course" - neither rebuilding nor contending.

Okay, but there's some hubris in that, Hive. The owner of the club publicly announced that this is what we were going to be doing, years ago now. Like it or not, it's the GM's job to execute that gameplan. You not liking it is immaterial. Lots of us would have preferred a more decisive path. This isn't Neverland or Utopia. We have to play the hand we're dealt, and I think -- without the benefit of hindsight -- that Mac has done a pretty great job within those boundaries.

And that has nothing to do with the length of Roy's contract. He'd have gotten that much term anywhere. You can risk losing him to another team arguing over one less year, or you can bite the bullet, admit that your GM has a pretty good track record of handling those types of issues, and improve your team.

If you want nothing but perfect contracts your team is going to suck. Perpetually.

The one albatross contract that can rear up and hurt this team in its next contention window.

It might. But it hasn't yet, and it won't until this guy proves that he's consistently a shit player now. There's a real chance that won't happen; that we'll get decent value. In the meantime, this coming season his hit is mitigated by the 5.25m his presence saved us and the 3.9m we're saving on the guy he's replacing. That covers the entirety of his salary for the year, so maybe give it that time to work out one way or another before you decide it's awful. (And maybe concede that it's the only way we were going to get a center of that potential caliber without giving up major assets or overpaying in free agency.)

Right now Oshie's $5.75M is still applying towards the 10% overage allowance permitted during the off-season

So? We'd all prefer if he were capable of playing the way that he plays when he's healthy enough to suit up, for the full length of his deal. But that's not what happened. Turns out him playing like the rambunctious warrior we love cut his time short. The club deemed him untouchable -- the kind of Cap they want to retire here, cap be damned. They felt they owed him that, and the fans adore him, so we're sucking it up and dealing with an ending more bitter than the one we'd like. Not you though...

I've also made my opinions on when they should have moved on from Oshie clear in other threads in the past.

...no. You're immune to such attachments. Oshie didn't qualify for "untouchable status" to you. And you're not alone there, for sure. Maybe it was a borderline case, but I personally think he got lumped in to a certain extent because, "Hey, we already have $19 million of our cap tied up in guys we consider untouchable, and Carlson'll end up feeling like we're tacking on $8m more at some point. Oshie's going to fall in that same window and has the same type of regard around town, so why not?"

Yes, Hive, we all knew that Oshie's decline was happening. We could see it, too. And we know that you would have pulled the trigger at the exact right moment and made the exact right trade, but we were too sentimental for all that. Would that we were as level-headed as you are...

;)

I don’t know why you all argue w @Hivemind ? He/she won’t change their mind, they won’t talk in good faith, and they will be rude and condescending the entirety of the conversation.

And I don't know why you feel the need to constantly remind us that we should substitute our own judgment for yours. I agree with Hive sometimes. There's clearly a lot of knowledge behind his arguments. We don't reach the same conclusions a lot of the time and we can both be exhausting, cantankerous pricks sometimes, but I don't think that's made better by putting him on Ignore and pretending my shit don't stink. ;)

I come here for the conversation, and sometimes it ain't pretty. Heated discourse doesn't bother me. I kinda like it sometimes. Sue me.

One underrated thing about the Ovechkin captaincy is how he's pretty much always kept a good room. I can't recall current or former players having anything negative to say about it since maybe the Boudreau era?

Yeah, remember when we gleefully sent Brouwer packing for Oshie, then he pulled the bitch move and aired some dirty laundry to the press? Maybe it was about Semin? I forget the details, but I do remember it being a bummer because I kinda liked Brouwer and wouldn't have thought he'd punk out like that. It might've not even been after he was traded...

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yeah, remember when we gleefully sent Brouwer packing for Oshie, then he pulled the bitch move and aired some dirty laundry to the press? Maybe it was about Semin? I forget the details, but I do remember it being a bummer because I kinda liked Brouwer and wouldn't have thought he'd punk out like that.
also maybe an insight into one of the reasons they moved him.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
No, you were critical of this specific contract, then tied it to two other past contracts, then made the same point about Oshie, then pointed with dissatisfaction at the LTIR numbers, then the rare dead cap we took on to rid ourselves of our worst contract, and so on.

So no, you didn't say "GMBM is a poor GM." You just pointed to like 8 examples of his work that you find... subpar? Shitty? Ill-advised? Dumb?

You pick the word and equivocate however you'd like. You commented on a thing, we brought in context because that's how conversations go, then you broadened your point accordingly. I didn't say you think he's a poor GM. I said you were using hindsight to bag on him, because you were. It would've taken a crystal ball or a time machine to outright avoid some of the missteps you alluded to.

Okay, but there's some hubris in that, Hive. The owner of the club publicly announced that this is what we were going to be doing, years ago now. Like it or not, it's the GM's job to execute that gameplan. You not liking it is immaterial. Lots of us would have preferred a more decisive path. This isn't Neverland or Utopia. We have to play the hand we're dealt, and I think -- without the benefit of hindsight -- that Mac has done a pretty great job within those boundaries.

And that has nothing to do with the length of Roy's contract. He'd have gotten that much term anywhere. You can risk losing him to another team arguing over one less year, or you can bite the bullet, admit that your GM has a pretty good track record of handling those types of issues, and improve your team.

If you want nothing but perfect contracts your team is going to suck. Perpetually.

It might. But it hasn't yet, and it won't until this guy proves that he's consistently a shit player now. There's a real chance that won't happen; that we'll get decent value. In the meantime, this coming season his hit is mitigated by the 5.25m his presence saved us and the 3.9m we're saving on the guy he's replacing. That covers the entirety of his salary for the year, so maybe give it that time to work out one way or another before you decide it's awful. (And maybe concede that it's the only way we were going to get a center of that potential caliber without giving up major assets or overpaying in free agency.)

So? We'd all prefer if he were capable of playing the way that he plays when he's healthy enough to suit up, for the full length of his deal. But that's not what happened. Turns out him playing like the rambunctious warrior we love cut his time short. The club deemed him untouchable -- the kind of Cap they want to retire here, cap be damned. They felt they owed him that, and the fans adore him, so we're sucking it up and dealing with an ending more bitter than the one we'd like. Not you though...

...no. You're immune to such attachments. Oshie didn't qualify for "untouchable status" to you. And you're not alone there, for sure. Maybe it was a borderline case, but I personally think he got lumped in to a certain extent because, "Hey, we already have $19 million of our cap tied up in guys we consider untouchable, and Carlson'll end up feeling like we're tacking on $8m more at some point. Oshie's going to fall in that same window and has the same type of regard around town, so why not?"

Yes, Hive, we all knew that Oshie's decline was happening. We could see it, too. And we know that you would have pulled the trigger at the exact right moment and made the exact right trade, but we were too sentimental for all that. Would that we were as level-headed as you are...

;)

And I don't know why you feel the need to constantly remind us that we should substitute our own judgment for yours. I agree with Hive sometimes. There's clearly a lot of knowledge behind his arguments. We don't reach the same conclusions a lot of the time and we can both be exhausting, cantankerous pricks sometimes, but I don't think that's made better by putting him on Ignore and pretending my shit don't stink. ;)

I come here for the conversation, and sometimes it ain't pretty. Heated discourse doesn't bother me. I kinda like it sometimes. Sue me.

Yeah, remember when we gleefully sent Brouwer packing for Oshie, then he pulled the bitch move and aired some dirty laundry to the press? Maybe it was about Semin? I forget the details, but I do remember it being a bummer because I kinda liked Brouwer and wouldn't have thought he'd punk out like that. It might've not even been after he was traded...
Okay—- suit yourself.

My post was for the masses, I shouldn’t have quoted you specifically. So I removed it.

Far as “ignore” for posters? As I’ve stated, there is only one. And candidly it was getting far far far too tiresome to watch their posts and not be able to respond to them. Since *they* have such a robust ignore list themselves.

It was just easier to ignore them back. So here we are.

Anyway — some people just like to simultaneously gripe while also projecting that they are the smartest people in the room. Which is fine. Many people fit that bill, sometimes me included. But then shutting people out whose commentary you cannot manage? Well, yeah. And by manage, I mean actually communicating with.

Back to Ovechkin — @Calicaps made such a good point, and one I truly don’t remember anyone making. He’s been a terrific leader and captain for this franchise. And that says nothing about his abilities on the ice (tho that does equal teammates “listening” to him, I suppose)

Reactions: Jags

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The only thing I hear when a free agent does their introductory interview:

1719960548246.gif

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Regarding PLD:

Imagine playing in Columbus, then WPG, followed by a Kings system where they use the 1-3-1 heavily and not understand why a player might not be the happiest

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Duhaime was 29th in the NHL in hits last year. He'll drop the gloves too. Roy was second on the Kings in hits. He's not quite Fehervary's level but in terms of hitting he's a big upgrade from Jensen. PLD, Mangiapane, Raddysh, and Chychrun are all about a hit per game players. The Caps lost a lot of their hitting with Beck traded and NAK walking, but I think they just about replaced it.
Chychrun hit more when he played in Arizona, well over a hit per game. Maybe getting back to playing under Scott Allen, and playing with one of his best friends he grew up with(Duhaime) who's very physical, will bring more of that out of him. His dad was a total goon, so he should have the rage monster inside him.

• Haha
Reactions: Calicaps

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If you have me on ignore let me know kthxbye. I think @txpd RIP was the only one I ignored in brief stints because he would often just take an contrarian view to spur conversation. I used to poke the bear on his strict no fighting stance especially knowing he used to proclaim to be the one person in the arena purposefully looking away from all fights back in the 80's. Saying it was too dangerous to have in the game. Yet was a race car driver. I do find it hilarious to come here and always see everyone in character. Me? You know I need blood and gore! Couple that with hits sticks on boards a cup every 40 years and I'm happy.

I like how we have already paired up Roy and Chik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad