Euro: Round of 16 - Austria v. Türkiye - Jul. 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Austria suffers from a serious lack of technical skill.

Wanner will be huge for them once they finally poach him from us. They'll still need a striker, but that kid has exactly the kind of brilliance in the final third that they lack when they need to break teams down and their press can't do the job for them.

Talent-wise I think they're in the lower half of the teams in this tournament easily. Shows what a difference a manager can make.

They have a lot of good players and a very well organized press. They just lack any great players in the final third, which is why they struggle to break teams down if their pressing & set pieces can't earn them the lead.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The announcers did a great job by the way, including when almost both entire teams collapsed at the final whistle.

Reactions: TMLeafer

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
EzlwIhu.gif

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Fraudstria.

Evilo is probably prancing around with a fresh buttery croissant in his mouth.
What are you talking about?

What can I say folks?

Turkey could be in the semis with a little luck vs The Netherlands.
Turkey have no business being in the quarters, let alone the semis. They advanced as the inferior team tonight. Holland are gonna have their way with them.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I think Austria were the better drilled/coached side but Turkey had the greater skill, you could see it in the first half with the passing/touches the Turkish players were doing when Austria were struggling to build their attack.

Ragnick also doesn't have the same bench options but that's still no excuse for having a washed Arnautovic on the pitch for 90+ minutes and I think he also forced Baumgartner further forward as a result.

Also if Madrid still need an LB, Kadioglu would be a rolls royce in La Liga instead of overpaying for Davies. Don't wanna see him getting wasted in the Prem his game would suffer there and I say that as a Chelsea fan in need of a proper LB.

Reactions: Tryamw and gary69

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Nah. The team that scores more goals moves on.
If you seriously think that also automatically means that's the better team, you haven't watched much sports.
Not only have watched sports longer than you, I've also heard many of these emotional arguments from fans.

I never said it was "automatic".

I just refuse to see a new narrative where the "more deserving/better team" can be the losing side in a match.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
There are many teams in this round of 16 that scored first and couldn't hold on to win. Turkiye held on. They now have a chance to go to the semi-finals. They deserve far more props than the losing bet lamenting that I'm reading here.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't know about that. I feel like Austria had chances for 5-6 goals and their lack of finishing really killed them. Both Turkish goals were set pieces essentially against the run of play (that feels odd to say for a goal scored after a minute, but almost literally the first action in the game was an Austrian through ball that opened up the Turkish defense and Austria had two or three more chances within 10 minutes of the Turkish goal).

And let's not forget, up 2-1 in the 94th and final minute of added time an Austrian player got a free close range header on goal because the six Turks in the box (vs three Austrians) at that time were asleep at the wheel and practically forgot Baumgartner's presence.

The irony is that Austrian pass into the box was so high and slow that it actually helped the keeper, who could track it pretty comfortably and see that Baumgartner's body position strongly indicated where he would head the ball, which in turn allowed him to make the save. If that had been a sharp low cross whipped into the box, it would have been harder for Baumgartner, but Mert would have also never been able to make that save. Of course, it being such a high and slow pass it also never should have found an open Austrian to begin with.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Not only have watched sports longer than you, I've also heard many of these emotional arguments from fans.

I never said it was "automatic".

I just refuse to see a new narrative where the "more deserving/better team" can be the losing side in a match.
Not a narrative, let alone a new one. It's simply reality. And as I said, happens all the time. It's part of why we even watch games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad