Grading the 2024 Red Wings Draft Class

Oct 18, 2006
176 OA: Charlie Forslund
Grade: A-

There's a reason we use the phrase 'Hakan Special' around these parts. Like Becher, he's feasted at a lower level of hockey and now it's time to see how he fares with the bigger boys. I am not familiar with his skating, but at least he's the type of forward who can find the quiet spots on the ice and unleash his quick shot. He also has NHL size at 6'3".

Forslund may never play a single game for Detroit, but sometimes Hakan works his magic and finds a later-round steal. That's exactly what you want with the 176th overall draft pick.
When’s the last time this has actually happened ? Geez he’s been overrated for the past decade.

• Haha
Reactions: Run the Jewels

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Howard got a chance to play up the lineup, didn't meet Sandelin's defensive standard, then got pushed down the lineup. Ben Steeves, a 20 year old freshman got the big minutes the rest of the year.
Your first post says Sandelin usually goes with the veteran, that's what I'm refuting. Your second post says Howard lost minutes because of defensive accumen. That's a different topic.

At any rate, we're going to have to agree to disagree. Howard saw PP time all season and played on a all freshman line that was utilized in pressure situations and usually drew the other team's top defenders. That's as good as your going to get as a freshman in a meat grinder conference like NCHC.

Last edited:

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
1. MBN B
2. Plante F
3. Becher C
4. Miller C
5. Whipple A
6. Forslund C
7. Baker C
7. Fisher Scott C

MBN should make the League. The wrong pick at 15, but still a NHL level talent. The rest, Whipple aside, are just terrible. This may end up being the worst draft of the Yzerman era.

Why is Whipple an A.... Hey, I like these never gonna make it hard hitting tough guys. hahahaha

As for MBN and Plante, I already posted this on another thread. Both were consistently ranked below picks taken after them. As said, MBN will make the League, but I don't see Plante in the NHL. Every advantage to get where he is, is still not dynamic and I believe he is playing at his ceiling now. AS the competition gets better, he will only get pushed down in the rankings. Think Landon Ferraro.

Why I dislike this draft is because the first two picks were "wrong" according to the general consensus of the experts. IMO the Plante pick is a total miss. Someone within all the hockey advantage insider bubbles, who is not excelling, is someone I stay away from in a draft. No adversity in life and every luxury and opportunity within the game. If they excel (Tkachuk, Iginla), great take them. If they are "good passers, who think the game well but have no extraordinary skills (Planted, Ferraro, Draper and many others) they are playing at their ceiling and may not have the mental makeup up to make it through the tough times (given the old adage anyway).

In the beat the brass thread, my 1 and 2 I take

15: Cole Eiserman
47: Nikita Artamonov

My depth of review of the picks goes no further. I liked Greentree but Eiserman was consistently ranked ahead of MBN.

Artamonov appears to be the steal of the draft. I don't have a huge issue with MBN but I dislike the Plante pick.

I don't mind Becher. Yes he went through the draft 2x without being selected but some of this is the oddity of birth year. At day's end, he is only 7 months older than Nate Danielson (both 04 birthdays, Feb and Sept). This is not only working through adversity but showing pretty damn good results.

Whipple - All kidding aside, I do like this pick. Imagine a bottom pairing and PK of him and Cleveland!! hahaha. OK OK. I actuall like him more than Cleveland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad