GDT: Round 2: Game 3 - Fishies @ Avalanche - We Have a Bigger Boat Now

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
The Sharks played well, but I don't know what has gotten into the Avs from the 1st round until now.

All five games against Calgary, from start to finish they brought the energy, they pushed the pace, they were relentless on the forecheck.

This series, they're playing half games. Game 1, they were the better team in the first 30 minutes, got smoked in the final 30 and lost. Game 2, they got smoked in the first 30 minutes, were the better team in the last 30 minutes, and won. Tonight, they got smoked for the first roughly 35 minutes, were the better team in the last 25 minutes, and lost.

The team needs a complete game effort.

Also, I know it's the big guns but sometimes you just have to play a hunch as a head coach. The 2nd PP unit was miles better than the 1st PP unit tonight. They were the ones generating chances, gaining zone time with possession. That's who was needed on the ice late on that PP. Maybe you take Soderberg/Kerfoot off and put MacKinnon out there, but that unit with Makar and Girard was putting in work tonight.

You're 100% right saying the Avs haven't brought consistent energy every game in the second round. I think part of it is Deboer. He knows the Avs are a quick skating and transitioning team. Last game was 1-3-1, this game it was 1-2-2. The Sharks are clogging up the neutral zone with their bigger faster D and they can move it up along the ice real quick. It doesn't help that our D keeps coughing up to the trap and they make us pay. This game could have been a lot worst if we didn't get the help from the posts.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
No. I'll say it again. Barrie is supremely overrated and I've never been a fan of him. Makar should be getting his ice time.

Barrie is a good player but since Girard has been re-inserted the defensive pairings aren't working.

We cant have 3 offensive minded guys playing out of the 6.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
Kerfoot isnt even a good passer, his passes rarely hit tape. He has good vision I guess but can't pass. Just like he gets open but can't finish

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This game falls on the lack of depth and Landeskog and Rantanen.

MacK was the only forward that looked capable of doing anything of value. But it usually ended as soon as the puck went to Landy or Rantanen. As good as MacK is, he can't do it all by himself.

You are going to have to find a way to score first. If you don't, you're going to get this BS neutral zone trap all game. Its like playing NJ of the late 90s. Get a goal and then immediately fall into the trap for the rest of the game.

Kerfoot 1 assist the playoffs, playing with MacK. Not good.

Soderberg straight trash. Same with Brassard. Compher invisible.

Nieto good job. Jost in his limited minutes good job.

EJ miserable. Zadorov mediocre. Barrie was bad tonight. Cole was surprisingly ok. Makar and Girard up and down but overall pretty decent. They are two 20 year old kids, I'm not going to harp on them for little mistakes they happen.

Grubauer nice game but he can't give up that goal to Couture with 7 minutes left, it was not his best moment. Not all his fault due to the bad clear by Zadorov and then the poor effort by Landy to stop the puck from getting to Couture but still it was not a good angle got to make the save.

It looks like our big hole, depth scoring, is going to be the death of us this season. SJ is not afraid of anyone except MacK. SJ is good enough defensively to"contain" MacK. Meaning no 3+ pts games. They don't care if he gets 1 but they aren't going to give him 3. Then after that they just aren't afraid of anyone.

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
Barrie is a good player but since Girard has been re-inserted the defensive pairings aren't working.

Sure. Barrie is a "good" player. But he's getting ice time like he's a "great" player not a "good" player. He's not great.

mattand1mixtape

Apr 2, 2013
Was at the game tonight, kind of disappointed I went. I thought it was a bit of a lackluster effort, but I give major credit to the sharks. They played great in the neutral zone, in their defensive end and especially well on the pk. I thought the Sharks were absolutely dominant on the pk and couldn’t have done better.

It was a tough night for the avs, turnovers, no one handling the puck, lack of o-zone pressure from bottom 3 lines I think killed them. Again, I give a lot of credit to the sharks because they played incredibly well. Limit those turnovers, handle the puck better and adjust a bit systematically and the avs can take game 4.

Reactions: Mules and drhiii

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Hopefully this one hurt Joe as badly as us. Go for broke. Panarin would be the ticket. Don't rely on kerfoot, just, Wilson to take us deep into the playoffs. What you see is what you get with these guys

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Did you watch tonight's game?

The players that struggled were the big, slugging defensive defensemen in Johnson and Cole. Barrie, Makar and Girard were constantly pushing the play and the pace of the game.

The offensive defensemen are not the issue.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Seriously just go with 7D, Brass is so useless. Soda is also getting to that point...really need regular season Soda to show up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad