Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Okay so we are on the same page then. Michkov falling had nothing to do with the quality of player he is. I don't know why Buium fell and given that Buium just finished his draft year as one of the best scoring collegiate defenseman, I'm going to guess it has nothing to do with his play

And here is an example of exactly what I've been saying. I'm not sure what BP means exactly with red flag, but he's using the fact that Buium dropped as an evaluation of the player, which if you read any of my posts I've been saying is a poor way to evaluate players. So continue to not answer anything I've written directly. Take care now

Surely you're not referring to SJ picking Celebrini 1OA as "passing on Luchanko." Because that would be an absurd take.

so-good-wink.gif

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
After thinking about it for a couple of days I am going to reserve judgement on Jett for another season or 2 of junior. He is a 17 year old kid playing on a bad junior team that had trouble scoring. They did reach for him obviously passed on a defenseman that alot of people wanted.
But I am willing to wait and see how he progresses down the line

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
After thinking about it for a couple of days I am going to reserve judgement on Jett for another season or 2 of junior. He is a 17 year old kid playing on a bad junior team that had trouble scoring. They did reach for him obviously passed on a defenseman that alot of people wanted.
But I am willing to wait and see how he progresses down the line
As I have said before, the "pick" is not the problem. He could wind up being the best player from this draft, but that does not negate the fact that DB could have accumulated more and better assets by trading down even further. That is the issue from my standpoint. This lack of forward thinking was evident throughout all 7 rounds of this draft....

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I can buy that scouting can be crucial to figure out who is actually best for your top 10 pick. Otherwise yeah, I bet you'd have better success just taking the most productive remaining player instead of listening to the one scout is who certain that Flintleigh Braddock from Saskatchatoon is gonna pull the hockey stick from the stone based chiefly on feelings. I mean shit! Personal terrible anecdote: the only fantasy leagues I have won are the NBA and MLB. I know nothing about those sports. I just draft whoever has the best numbers. NFL and NHL I know about, and I use that knowledge to f*** myself by overthinking and trying to be a braingenius. It never works.

For sure there are kinds of context that are important. I sure don't know how to define it without getting too far into the intangible jungle. There's also stuff they can be thrown right out. If a scout is pointing at a few individual games or a small sample size tournament, beware
Whenever they ask our fat Vice President, Assistant General Manager Brent Flahr about a prospect he always mention things like he need to bulk up, he needs to add muscles and so on. And when he wants to say something positive about a prospect he always says something like: He skates well for his size, he can use his body well, he has a long stick and all the bullshit things!

Ive never heard anything from Flahr to think he is capable of analyzing a skilled player!

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Hockey is at the stage where baseball once was where the old boys club had the owners completely convinced they were the only ones that could do the job & nobody outside of them could possibly. Meanwhile they were bleeding the owners with so much redundancy costs.
on the other side we have Carolina having a new analytical GM! Love them!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

interesting read -- deeper dive on what has been said

Total fluff piece. I closed it at "he is one of the most naturally gifted athletes the Flyers have ever drafted." If that were true he'd have separated himself a lot more at lower levels and nobody would be asking all these questions.

Strong "Cutter can hit a drive 275 yards with either hand" justification vibes, but worse.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I did a quick check, but 59 of 70 Norris wins were by guys 6’1” or shorter. I pray there was another reason, like he’s dumb as a stump.
The Flyers still think having big slow physical defenders is the way to go despite overwhelming evidence that suggests the opposite. They have thought this way for decades. It’s never going to change either. Because they will never totally clean house and get some forward thinking management.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers still think having big slow physical defenders is the way to go despite overwhelming evidence that suggests the opposite. They have thought this way for decades. It’s never going to change either. Because they will never totally clean house and get some forward thinking management.

Their ideal dman is closer to Therien than Timonen.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
There are certainly things to like about Luchanko -- he's not a dud, but he's no where close to the skill level that Buium possesses. Even if Luchanko becomes the better player, if the selection of Luchanko over Buium was made based on the combination of lack of size and their perception of redundancy in their prospect pool*, it is a terrible decision. They can't get out of their own way. These are the same mistakes that were made pre-Briere.

*And by the way, York is no where near the skill level of Buium.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I hate comps but Buium’s floor is something like a souped-up Cam York. If they like York so much…

Even if they didn't like the player or his fit or whatever, just from an asset management standpoint, I can’t imagine how valuable Buium’s going to be around January 5th. I know NHL teams don’t operate in that manner, but it seems like a big miss.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There are certainly things to like about Luchanko -- he's not a dud, but he's no where close to the skill level that Buium possesses. Even if Luchanko becomes the better player, the selection of Luchanko over Buium based on what appears to be issues based on combination of size and their perception of redundancy in their prospect pool*, is a terrible decision. They can't get out of their own way. These are the same mistakes that were made pre-Briere.

*And by the way, York is no where near the skill level of Buium.

It will be very cool and very positive if dumb blind luck can bail out an awful process. But relying on that while routinely doing all you can to make getting lucky unlikely isn't a great way to build a team

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
It will be very cool and very positive if dumb blind luck can bail out an awful process. But relying on that while routinely doing all you can to make getting lucky unlikely isn't a great way to build a team
FYI to all, I didn't really proof read my first post, and the sentence was worded weirdly, so I updated the text to make it a bit clearer.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

I guess this is where perspective and bias come in.

The process here indicates that the Flyers passed on a suite of externally ranked prospects to pick somebody they personally had ranked higher (this assessment is what can be challenged by us).

But in hindsight, we would also crucify them if they didn't pick their own internally ranked prospects higher and went with the consensus blindly (NoPa, JVR, etc.).

Feels like this board will always crucify the management.

For the record, I think they made a mistake and should have taken a defenseman that was putting up historic numbers, because my general philosophy on drafting talent is that people that put up numbers will always do so. Very rarely do people suddenly start producing as they move into higher levels (it happens, but it's rare). I've seen highlights of Luchanko, and his circumstances mitigate his production - but it's a very risky bet to make. He's talented and has more upside than I think the board is giving credit for, but I'd have done 32 + Farabee to get another top 15 pick if you liked him so much and come out with Buium + Luchanko. That would have been an A+ draft. Chicago moved up, SJ moved up so it was clearly feasible - after a failure of top 5 advancement, they should have been like "let's see who's at 12, and if there's 2 players we like, let's get anotehr top 15 pick and take both since we didn't get in the 5."

And I am upset quite a bit by the fact that we could have had 2 players now with absolutely massive records pre-draft that fell to us, and they could have easily been both top 5 picks.

If you are going to avoid tanking, and you get top 5 talents falling to you, you have to make those picks, period. Ironically, that's the most frustrating part to me. They've had top 5 talents (2!) that they could have had WITHOUT tanking (which is their whole motto) and you just have to accept those graces and move on - and they didn't.

THAT process I can take exception with, and has made me finally think about switching teams.

I do believe, though, that there's more to the story with Buium and why he fell. We'll never know - I've heard rumors of him wanting to stay in the midwest, or that he won't sign - but this could all be idle speculation. We'll never really know.

Michkov + Buium plus the supporting staff sounds a lot better, then use the stupid 1st picks and trade for a C and be done with it. I would have much preferred that.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
As we've seen in the past, the Flyers don't always take the highest ranked guy on their board. There's a tier argument that you can use to pick a need, but I doubt very much they had Luchanko ranked above Buium on a pure talent basis.
I agree. Which is why I believe there were other factors here. We all speculate that the Flyers are afraid of Overhardt - maybe? I doubt it though, as they still have clients of his. So that doesn't track.

The only thing that does track is they did get an indication that Buium wouldn't sign in Philly (or possibly, other places), which is why perhaps why he fell - don't know. At this point, it'll never come out.

And I don't subscribe to the philosophy of "who cares if he doesn't sign and doesn't want to play for you, just draft him and trade him anyway!" Those who run organizations can't just do that - if everybody is crucifying the Flyers for being afraid of an agency for not drafting a player as a result, what about drafting one after being told not to anyway? That f's up that relationship even worse and no matter what, they'll need to work with this guy in future, so I don't think that's a solution except to online tough guys. Businesses aren't run that way - you don't chest thump just because. It's a last resort, not a choice.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
I agree. Which is why I believe there were other factors here. We all speculate that the Flyers are afraid of Overhardt - maybe? I doubt it though, as they still have clients of his. So that doesn't track.

The only thing that does track is they did get an indication that Buium wouldn't sign in Philly (or possibly, other places), which is why perhaps why he fell - don't know. At this point, it'll never come out.

And I don't subscribe to the philosophy of "who cares if he doesn't sign and doesn't want to play for you, just draft him and trade him anyway!" Those who run organizations can't just do that - if everybody is crucifying the Flyers for being afraid of an agency for not drafting a player as a result, what about drafting one after being told not to anyway? That f's up that relationship even worse and no matter what, they'll need to work with this guy in future, so I don't think that's a solution except to online tough guys. Businesses aren't run that way - you don't chest thump just because. It's a last resort, not a choice.
I don't know if it was because it was over 30 years ago, but this worked out pretty well for the Quebec Nordiqurles/Colorado Avalanche regarding taking Lindros. They knew he wasn't gonna sign with Quebec

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I don't know if it was because it was over 30 years ago, but this worked out pretty well for the Quebec Nordiqurles/Colorado Avalanche regarding taking Lindros. They knew he wasn't gonna sign with Quebec
Yeah, but Lindros was a McDavid prospect, undisputed #1, generational type talent. I like Buium, but he's not that. And that was also the last time that really happened to that extent.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I guess this is where perspective and bias come in.

The process here indicates that the Flyers passed on a suite of externally ranked prospects to pick somebody they personally had ranked higher (this assessment is what can be challenged by us).

But in hindsight, we would also crucify them if they didn't pick their own internally ranked prospects higher and went with the consensus blindly (NoPa, JVR, etc.).

Feels like this board will always crucify the management.

For the record, I think they made a mistake and should have taken a defenseman that was putting up historic numbers, because my general philosophy on drafting talent is that people that put up numbers will always do so. Very rarely do people suddenly start producing as they move into higher levels (it happens, but it's rare). I've seen highlights of Luchanko, and his circumstances mitigate his production - but it's a very risky bet to make. He's talented and has more upside than I think the board is giving credit for, but I'd have done 32 + Farabee to get another top 15 pick if you liked him so much and come out with Buium + Luchanko. That would have been an A+ draft. Chicago moved up, SJ moved up so it was clearly feasible - after a failure of top 5 advancement, they should have been like "let's see who's at 12, and if there's 2 players we like, let's get anotehr top 15 pick and take both since we didn't get in the 5."

And I am upset quite a bit by the fact that we could have had 2 players now with absolutely massive records pre-draft that fell to us, and they could have easily been both top 5 picks.

If you are going to avoid tanking, and you get top 5 talents falling to you, you have to make those picks, period. Ironically, that's the most frustrating part to me. They've had top 5 talents (2!) that they could have had WITHOUT tanking (which is their whole motto) and you just have to accept those graces and move on - and they didn't.

THAT process I can take exception with, and has made me finally think about switching teams.

I do believe, though, that there's more to the story with Buium and why he fell. We'll never know - I've heard rumors of him wanting to stay in the midwest, or that he won't sign - but this could all be idle speculation. We'll never really know.

Michkov + Buium plus the supporting staff sounds a lot better, then use the stupid 1st picks and trade for a C and be done with it. I would have much preferred that.

I don't always crucify them. I get very excited when they do good things. I just wish they did good things way more often. Good things are so good. You people don't even know.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Yeah, but Lindros was a McDavid prospect, undisputed #1, generational type talent. I like Buium, but he's not that. And that was also the last time that really happened to that extent.
Lol more like Lindros was a Lemieux level prospect. I get what you're saying it's just obvious the age difference. And I get Buium isn't that but a team who shys away from a prospect cause he doesn't wanna play for them should just fold. Take the player trade him for assets later. Would of worked for any team who took Michkov who only wanted to play for the Flyers. Team would be bare again trading for their super star

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Lol more like Lindros was a Lemieux level prospect. I get what you're saying it's just obvious the age difference. And I get Buium isn't that but a team who shys away from a prospect cause he doesn't wanna play for them should just fold. Take the player trade him for assets later. Would of worked for any team who took Michkov who only wanted to play for the Flyers. Team would be bare again trading for their super star
This potential (likely?) scenario would blast a big hole into one of the FO's main objectives; i.e., make Philadelphia a place everyone wants to play. Well, if they have established enmity with Kurt Overhardt to the point where Buium wouldn't sign with them, that would add to Tortorella's mishandling of Couturier, his apparent feud with Farabee, and scapegoating of Frost as a pretty poor overall environment. Or maybe they just meant a place where washed-up veterans want to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad