Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Just watched the shift video I posted from Dec. Decent vision and awareness. Didn’t flash a lot of high end skill. Anytime he tried something, puck got wiped away.

But I did like his overall game. There is growth potential. I will try to get more viewings.

I watched the February one. I had the same takeaway. Some decent plays, but no real noteworthy hand/feet elusiveness under duress. Also lost the puck too much. I will also view him more, but that high end skill usually hits you on a first impression. Mentioning awareness mostly is how I often damn with faint praise.

If this was 32nd, I could get it. Stiga and Basha are both better forwards (read: not centers!), but I can squint and give some benefit of the doubt at that point. I'm going to have to see a different player to understand this usage at 12th.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I watched the February one. I had the same takeaway. Some decent plays, but no real noteworthy hand/feet elusiveness under duress. Also lost the puck too much. I will also view him more, but that high end skill usually hits you on a first impression.
Agreed. That fast-twitch type movement usually is on display even when they don’t have the puck. They way they stride, they way they lean, etc. just didn’t see that ability.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
No but he's better than the cripple they TARGETED in Drysdale.

There were ways out of Gauthier that made more sense than an infatuation by the POS that is Bob Murray
Either a lot of the posters are disingenuous in acting as if they always liked his pick or they are warming up to my belief in the kid as a potential stud. The clutch gene!

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So they are banking on the upside and continued growth. Why not go Eiserman with that thinking?

Flahr is an idiot

Because there are real concerns that Eiserman's issues are unfixable.

Are there any tools here at all? He's very young at a ppg on a middling team, that's no accident. There has to be something?

Anything?

Please?

Hockey sense, skating, playmaking all very strong. He's also one of the youngest players in the draft.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Major disappointment tonight. It felt like Briere had a guy or two and that fell through and he didn’t know what to do. I wonder if he’s hesitant to draft from the NCAA after Cutter and McGoarty

I’ve always believed the draft is a bit of a crapshoot though and what matters is how those players play in their professional career 5-10 years away, not when they are drafted. This Will test my faith. This is a smartest man in the room pick by Briere. Those rarely work out but if he nailed this we can trust him. We’ll see. Jett is very young and next year will be important to see what kind of upside he has

I hated waiting only for them to trade 32. I suppose it might be the smart move even though I don’t like it. With all the picks over the next couple years, Briere has ammo or darts at least

Not happy with today but I’ll be as optimistic as possible. I’m not on the fire Briere bandwagon yet until I see how he handles TK and Laughton, and how Luchanko does next year. This was a tenure defining draft, one way or another

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I’m trying to like this pick.

Watch him drop 100+ points easily next year
i mean, there's enough people outside of here dropping Nick Suzuki comparisons that lead me to think that they didn't totally blow this pick. we're all in agreement here that they did not take the BPA regardless of position, but there's a difference between a mild whiff when drafting for need and taking Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I think folks need to watch him play more. He is kind of a late riser for this draft. Still very young. He can easily show great improvement next season like the Cowen pick did.

But he is not Scott Laughton. Jett has a lot more upside than that and is already a much better skater.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
From what I've seen, Laughton has better hands and edge work. Dare I say, he's underrated in the skill department in a superficial sense. He just doesn't read the play or pass at a high level.

Reactions: VladDrag

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Ahh doom and gloom is alive and well on the most absurdly negative board on the internet. Earlier post was right, y'all need to try weed and get over this useless stuff. Get a grip.

Would have rather had Buium, but I get it, we're small af. Helenius was meh and even smaller, and Eiserman will be the next Kieffer Bellows. We'll see what Jett can do.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The process certainly seems terrible, but idiots are already comparing him to Laughton. In what world did Laughton have this kind of upside.
You might want to go back and take a gander at the scouting reports and the relevant threads when Laughton was drafted. If memory serves, the name Mike Richards was bandied about as a comparison.

And now I'm wondering, do Briere & Co. think they have a potential Richie on their hands? Sigh.

Only thing I can hang onto is that he's young for his draft class. Maybe he surprises next year and pops.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad