Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 13: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph (OHL) - 7/6 Upd: Signed 3yr ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hextall's last couple drafts didn't arrive until 2022-2023.

Farabee 2018 - starter in 2020-21
Ersson 2018 - starter in 2023-24
Frost 2017 - starter in 2022-23
Cates 2017 - starter in 2022-23
Lycksell 2017 - 2024-25?
Zamula 2018 - starter in 2023-24
Patrick 2017 -
Ratcliffe 2017 -
O'Brien 2018 -
Ginning 2018 -

Drafts impact a team 3-5 years after, only a few elite players start by their D+2 season.
So we won't know for 2 more years if the 2019-2022 (CF/Flahr) drafts have an impact
Brink, Attard, Andrae, Desnoyers, Tuomaala, Kolosov, Bump, McDonald.

Your timeframe of 3-5 years, I've noticed, does nothing to diminish the fact that it is now 6 years, and this management group +Fletcher did nothing to fix any problems.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Six. Years.

You would have a point in 2020. Not six years later and with the team in worse overall shape aside from one massive stroke of luck.

When 2030 rolls around and the team still isn't over the hump, are you still going to be blaming Hextall?
You can't just snap your fingers & fix a franchise that spent 5 years of numerous huge draft whiffs under Hextall when his "plan" was to rebuild through the draft.

And then 5 years into his tenure they're 2nd to last in the East when Hexy is fired, and Chuck is told by Dave Scott to win now.

They actually have a good season. But gets halted by Covid.

And then faces an unprecedented flat cap due to Covid.

And then loses their best player in Couturier for basically two seasons due to injury.

And their #1 goalie has the worst NHL season in almost 3 decades for a starting goalie in 20/21 (we probably know why) and now is completely gone due to a criminal charge.

And the Ryan Ellis injury fiasco, after trying to get something for their completely botched #2 overall pick.

It takes time to fix this stuff. Cam York was Fletcher's first draft pick, and he's only now 23 and turning into a very good defenseman.

Reactions: Breeze 44

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You can't just snap your fingers & fix a franchise that spent 5 years of numerous huge draft whiffs under Hextall when his "plan" was to rebuild through the draft.

And then 5 years into his tenure they're 2nd to last in the East when Hexy is fired, and Chuck is told by Dave Scott to win now.

And then loses their best player in Couturier for basically two seasons due to injury.

And their #1 goalie has the worst NHL season in almost 3 decades for a starting goalie in 20/21 (we probably know why) and now is completely gone due to a criminal charge.

And the Ryan Ellis injury fiasco, after trying to get something for their completely botched #2 overall pick.

It takes time to fix this stuff. Cam York was Fletcher's first draft pick, and he's only now 23 and turning into a very good defenseman.

How many teams have taken less than 5 years to drastically change their fortunes? Rather than staying on the same path they've always been on like the Flyers?

This is all excuses. The whole league faced COVID. The whole league had a flat cap. Cup winning teams often have major injuries, which they can work around via competent coaching and emphasis on quality depth (the opposite of the Flyers).

It takes this much time only if you're incompetent. Which we know they are, because things have been getting steadily worse well after all your excuses ended. No other fanbase is blaming dudes two GMs ago for their woes now. Because it's a ridiculous thing to do.

Why not blame Holmgren's GM tenure while we are at it? And from there, extend to Clarke? The team is still facing many of the same nonstop failed processes and problems, after all.

Your guy, Fletcher? You know why he didn't fix any of Hextall's problems, and only compounded upon them? Because he embraced everything the guy did. Whose fault is that? Did Hextall force him to do that? Or did Fletcher choose it? Was Fletcher right or wrong to embrace everything you insist was a failure?

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
How many teams have taken less than 5 years to drastically change their fortunes? Rather than staying on the same path they've always been on like the Flyers?

This is all excuses. The whole league faced COVID. The whole league had a flat cap. Cup winning teams often have major injuries, which they can work around via competent coaching and emphasis on quality depth (the opposite of the Flyers).

It takes this much time only if you're incompetent. Which we know they are, because things have been getting steadily worse well after all your excuses ended. No other fanbase is blaming dudes two GMs ago for their woes now. Because it's a ridiculous thing to do.

Why not blame Holmgren's GM tenure while we are at it? And from there, extend to Clarke? The team is still facing many of the same nonstop failed processes and problems, after all.

Your guy, Fletcher? You know why he didn't fix any of Hextall's problems, and only compounded upon them? Because he embraced everything the guy did. Whose fault is that? Did Hextall force him to do that? Or did Fletcher choose it? Was Fletcher right or wrong to embrace everything you insist was a failure?
what is it year 3 under Jones/Briere ?, Clarke is down in Florida, Homer retired and Hexy is wherever. So far I'm impressed with how this new GM has drafted . I think we'll see more confident play from York and Drysdale on D . I also think Frost, Desnoyers and Tippett improve offensively. I really think we'll be surprised by the Holidays how much they've improved..... it was obvious to me last year but then they lose 3 starters on Defense which WILL affect a young team . Jones is a pretty smart hockey guy, he's takin this team in a good direction. These guys are gonna surprise.....watch ;)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
what is it year 3 under Jones/Briere ?, Clarke is down in Florida, Homer retired and Hexy is wherever. So far I'm impressed with how this new GM has drafted . I think we'll see more confident play from York and Drysdale on D . I also think Frost, Desnoyers and Tippett improve offensively. I really think we'll be surprised by the Holidays how much they've improved..... it was obvious to me last year but then they lose 3 starters on Defense which WILL affect a young team . Jones is a pretty smart hockey guy, he's takin this team in a good direction. These guys are gonna surprise.....watch ;)
Year 2, Briere took over spring of 2023, so couldn't do anything until summer of 2023.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

This management group is made entirely of people from the last management group.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Signed Poehling, traded for Drysdale, drafted Ciernek, Luchanko.

However, speed is just one attribute valued highly, hockey IQ is also high on the list, along with work ethic and high motor.

Size is more about balance, when Briere took over they were one of the smallest teams in the NHL (despite that, only average speed).

Absolutely classic that you left off skill

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Absolutely classic that you left off skill
Skill is baked into draft slot, because most organizations rank by skill.
The "money ball" play is to choose within skills tiers based on intangibles.
Players with high IQ and high work ethic are more likely to maximize their skill.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

yikes.. this wont age well...

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, Chuck "embraced" Hextall. Especially when he immediately got rid of Weise, Folin, Lehtera, Andy MacDonald, waived NAK, had to trade Nolan Patrick for whatever he could get, had to trade Simmonds a year after he should have been traded by Hextall, immediately traded for Niskanen and Braun to bolster the D, etc.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I mean Chuck basically turned over half of Hextall's awful roster. Had the best season the Flyers had in a decade his first full year on the job. Got screwed by Covid and a flat cap. His luck was phenomenally bad. Hayes, hurt. Couturier, hurt. Ellis, hurt. Patrick, couldn't play. Provorov, incredibly overrated as a 7th overall pick. A bunch of failed prospects in the system he didn't pick, like JOB, Rubtsov, Laberge. You guys hated Ginning as a 2nd rounder. Allison and NAK amount to nothing. Ratcliffe a complete bust. Frost still very questionable. Hart has a season with an .870-something save percentage. Saddled with JVR at $7M.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, Chuck "embraced" Hextall. Especially when he immediately got rid of Weise, Folin, Lehtera, Andy MacDonald, waived NAK, had to trade Nolan Patrick for whatever he could get, had to trade Simmonds a year after he should have been traded by Hextall, immediately traded for Niskanen and Braun to bolster the D, etc.

And kept everyone else after praising what he walked into.

Waiving NAK was a mistake, BTW.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Keith Jones was a Flyer for 2 of 8 years (played 8 games his last season), was a national announcer so familar with the league.

Briere was a Flyer for 6 of his 17 year career, ran Maine (not a Flyer's affiliate) then was groomed by Comcast and forced on CF.

Torts is certainly not part of the old management team, he's the one who stabbed CF in the back.

Brad Shaw, 1 year TB, HC AHL Cincinnati Mighty Ducks (3 years), interim HC Islanders, 10 years assistant coach with the Blues, joined Torts in CBJ in 2016.

Thompson, assistant coach Oilers 1 yr, HC WHL 2 years, HC Chicago AHL 3 years, assistant coach San Jose 1 year, joined Torts in 2022 in PHL.

Darryl Williams, video coach, Canucks, 6 years, assistant coach Rangers 4 years, assistant coach Flyers since 2021.

Angelo Ricci, skills coach, Flyers since 2020

Kim Dillabaugh, director of goaltender development, Kings 8 years, Flyers since 2016

Ian Anderson, analytics 2014-19, Director of Analytics 2019-present (MS Northwestern, Prediction Analytics)

Jacob Hurlbut, analyst 2016-2022, Assistant Director of Analytics, 2022- present (BS Computer Science)

Cole Anderson lead data scientist since Feb 2022 (BA in economics)

Gavin McClelland, Data Engineer since 2022 (MS Mechanical Engineering)

Ellyse Robert - Analyst since June 2024 (MS in Applied Data Science (USC))

Flahr came in with CF, most of his career was with Minnesota.

Riley Armstrong, HC/asst GM Maine ECHL, assistant coach 2021-2023, Head of Player Development 2023-present

Nick Schultz, development coach, 2020-2023, assistant head of Player development, 2023-present

Alyn McCauley, pro scout with the Kings, scout with the Flyers from 2018-22, then head of personnel.

Mike Eastwood, development coach & pro scout, 3 years, Anaheim, director of Professional Scouting Flyers, 2023-24

Reid Simpson, director of European Scouting, hired June 2024

Greg Chase, pro scout 2023-present

Dany Heatley, pro scout 2023-present

Daniel Tremblay, pro scout 2023-present

Ross Fitzpatrick, pro scout 2006-present

Dave Brown, Rangers: 5 years pro scout, 3 years head of pro scouting, Flyers: 2006-13, Director of Player Personnel, 2013-2022, Director of Pro Scouting, 2022-23 head pro scout, 2023-present, pro scout.

Grant Armstrong, 12 years in WHL, 3 years amateur scout TB, Flyers 2022-present

Shane Fukushima, 15 years USHL, Flyers 2021-present

Martin Gendron, 5 years Minnesota, Flyers 2019-present

Mark Greig, Flyers 2007-present

Todd Hearty. Flyers, 2008-present

Dennis Patterson, Flyers 1983-present

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Hextall's entire strategy was to acquire draft picks.

And he whiffed on way, way too many of them for his strategy to succeed.

His talent evaluation is awful. A guy who gave a 4 year deal to Dale Weise. Whose best professional level acquisition in 5 years was Radko Gudas.

A guy who in Pittsburgh traded a 2nd rd pick to rent Mikael Granlund for a month, who proceeded to score 1 goal and 5 assists in 21 games as they missed the playoffs.

Thankfully, they appear to be drafting much better under Flahr, whether that be with Fletcher or Briere.
What do you have to say about a guy who gave a 4 year deal to nic deslauriers or signing garnet hathaway to a two year contract a year before his current deal expires?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Keith Jones was a Flyer for 2 of 8 years (played 8 games his last season), was a national announcer so familar with the league.

Briere was a Flyer for 6 of his 17 year career, ran Maine (not a Flyer's affiliate) then was groomed by Comcast and forced on CF.

Torts is certainly not part of the old management team, he's the one who stabbed CF in the back.

Brad Shaw, 1 year TB, HC AHL Cincinnati Mighty Ducks (3 years), interim HC Islanders, 10 years assistant coach with the Blues, joined Torts in CBJ in 2016.

Thompson, assistant coach Oilers 1 yr, HC WHL 2 years, HC Chicago AHL 3 years, assistant coach San Jose 1 year, joined Torts in 2022 in PHL.

Darryl Williams, video coach, Canucks, 6 years, assistant coach Rangers 4 years, assistant coach Flyers since 2021.

Angelo Ricci, skills coach, Flyers since 2020

Kim Dillabaugh, director of goaltender development, Kings 8 years, Flyers since 2016

Ian Anderson, analytics 2014-19, Director of Analytics 2019-present (MS Northwestern, Prediction Analytics)

Jacob Hurlbut, analyst 2016-2022, Assistant Director of Analytics, 2022- present (BS Computer Science)

Cole Anderson lead data scientist since Feb 2022 (BA in economics)

Gavin McClelland, Data Engineer since 2022 (MS Mechanical Engineering)

Ellyse Robert - Analyst since June 2024 (MS in Applied Data Science (USC))

Flahr came in with CF, most of his career was with Minnesota.

Riley Armstrong, HC/asst GM Maine ECHL, assistant coach 2021-2023, Head of Player Development 2023-present

Nick Schultz, development coach, 2020-2023, assistant head of Player development, 2023-present

Alyn McCauley, pro scout with the Kings, scout with the Flyers from 2018-22, then head of personnel.

Mike Eastwood, development coach & pro scout, 3 years, Anaheim, director of Professional Scouting Flyers, 2023-24

Reid Simpson, director of European Scouting, hired June 2024

Greg Chase, pro scout 2023-present

Dany Heatley, pro scout 2023-present

Daniel Tremblay, pro scout 2023-present

Ross Fitzpatrick, pro scout 2006-present

Dave Brown, Rangers: 5 years pro scout, 3 years head of pro scouting, Flyers: 2006-13, Director of Player Personnel, 2013-2022, Director of Pro Scouting, 2022-23 head pro scout, 2023-present, pro scout.

Grant Armstrong, 12 years in WHL, 3 years amateur scout TB, Flyers 2022-present

Shane Fukushima, 15 years USHL, Flyers 2021-present

Martin Gendron, 5 years Minnesota, Flyers 2019-present

Mark Greig, Flyers 2007-present

Todd Hearty. Flyers, 2008-present

Dennis Patterson, Flyers 1983-present

Very long list and lots of effort to confirm that yes, this entire management group was already here. Why'd you forget Hanrahan?

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017

As stated the whole league faced covid so no excuse...

Flat cap is not an excuse either - you need to have contingency planning and part of that is cap management. Do nto spend like a drunken sailor so no excuse here..

While the SC contract was signed before the bacj issues, he was already a beaten down (albeit productive) player. When you sign a 29/30 year old for 8 years it is always buyer beware, so no excuse here...

While Flyers did not sign Ellis the same concept applies as SC -- buyer beware...

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Very few. You have to have the right circumstances, for example, Carolina under performed for years due to Peters being an incompetent HC, so when Brind'Amour took over, they had a core of young talent. Good moves around that core, but it was also about jacking up an underachieving team.

Same when Zito took over Florida, the 2019-20 team was a 93 point team (pro-rated) with Huberdeau (26), Barkov (24), Ekblad (23), Trocheck (26), Vatrano (25), Matheson (25), Weegar (26), Bob (31). He made good moves, but it's not like he took over a bad team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad