Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t think Perfetti is a bad comp honestly. Perreault, yeah he has by far my absolute least favorite skill set for any NHL player but there’s obviously something there, and they were lucky to get him at 23rd. I don’t think he should necessarily be untouchable either but glad to have him

• Haha
Reactions: rangersfansince08

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I don’t think Perfetti is a bad comp honestly. Perreault, yeah he has by far my absolute least favorite skill set for any NHL player but there’s obviously something there, and they were lucky to get him at 23rd. I don’t think he should necessarily be untouchable either but glad to have him
do we think he can be another Zucc?

Prime Zucc in todays NHL is probably a 80 point player

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think you’re underrating his goal scoring ability. Yes he is a pass first player but the guy can finish as good as anyone on BC.
No he can’t, but that’s okay.

BUT I’d be curious to see what happens to his goals numbers if some of the line mates leave. I really don’t love seeing assists 2 to 1 compared to goals on a winger, but we get that closer to 1.5 to 1 because there are less people to pass to/defer to, then that’s a good thing

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He has the best shooting percentage on the team, yes better than Smith, Leonard, and Gauthier. He is a very good finisher and picks his spots when to shoot. He has been a good finisher everywhere he’s played. Again youre underrating his scoring ability because he is a pass first player.

Reactions: UnSandvich

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

BUT I’d be curious to see what happens to his goals numbers if some of the line mates leave. I really don’t love seeing assists 2 to 1 compared to goals on a winger, but we get that closer to 1.5 to 1 because there are less people to pass to/defer to, then that’s a good thing

You're stuck in 1990.

Playmaking wingers are a thing now, just as goal scoring centers are.

See: The guy who is leading the league in scoring right now.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
You're stuck in 1990.

Still relevant though that his teammates are some of the best players in college hockey. I don’t think we will know what we have in Perrault until Leonard/smith/gauthier leave or he goes to the AHL. He had two points this year where a top 10 pick didn’t get a point on the same play

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Still relevant though that his teammates are some of the best players in college hockey. I don’t think we will know what we have in Perrault until Leonard/smith/gauthier leave or he goes to the AHL. He had two points this year where a top 10 pick didn’t get a point on the same play

What does that look like for the other top 10 picks on the team?

Gauthier clearly has a bunch because he plays on a separate line but how about his linemates?

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Perreault's upside is through the roof. I'm not worried about him. Last draft I liked Brindley a lot as well. There were some people claiming he was a product of Fantilli. This year was a real test for him... he won the Big Ten player of the year and finished 8th in scoring... point is, same sort of thing.. Perreault is not just a product of his linemates

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You're stuck in 1990.

Yeah playmaking wingers make sense if you have goal scoring centers. Who are these goal scoring centers that the Rangers have in house?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah playmaking wingers make sense if you have goal scoring centers. Who are these goal scoring centers that the Rangers have in house?

When he was drafted that applied to literally 2 of their top 3 centers.

Plus you dont draft for what you have in house, those guys may still be taken and unless you forgot, thers another wing position - that guy can be a goal scorer too.

You make no sense.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If this is your view then if Perreault stays in college you won't be convinced next year either as the new crop of high-ranking prospects will be joining BC next season again. He's a playmaker - it surely warrants him being put with other good players who'd benefit from it. Those who watched him play this year (especially against higher level of competition both in NCAA and WJC) absolutely shouldn't get the sense that he's a passenger.

I mean if his game is nothing more than "I produce really well when I play with great players" well guess what lots of dudes have made good careers out of that. :laugh:
Strome for instance (I will see myself out now) :DD

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
When he was drafted that applied to literally 2 of their top 3 centers.

Plus you dont draft for what you have in house, those guys may still be taken and unless you forgot, thers another wing position - that guy can be a goal scorer too.

You make no sense.
I’m just saying pass first winger is my least favorite archetype. No one is trying to diss GP. Don’t make it weird.

I want to see what he can do/if goal scoring picks up without Smith and/or Leonard. That’s it

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’m just saying pass first winger is my least favorite archetype. No one is trying to diss GP. Don’t make it weird.

I want to see what he can do/if goal scoring picks up without Smith and/or Leonard. That’s it

I think it depends on how the team is structured. One could argue that centers are OVERVALUED around the league and that the smart play is to load up on playmaking and play-driving wingers and supplement them with centers who are good 2-way guys.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think it depends on how the team is structured. One could argue that centers are OVERVALUED around the league and that the smart play is to load up on playmaking and play-driving wingers and supplement them with centers who are good 2-way guys.
I don’t think centers are overvalued at all. Just isn’t a lot of evidence to suggest that. But it’s very hard to get an elite one.

I honestly like what Carolina did just have six awesome do it all defensemen. That’s more so what I would consider and undervalued approach

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I don’t think centers are overvalued at all. Just isn’t a lot of evidence to suggest that. But it’s very hard to get an elite one.

I honestly like what Carolina did just have six awesome do it all defensemen. That’s more so what I would consider and undervalued approach
I think outside of slavin Carolina’s defenseman are not “do it all” but that the pressure the forwards generate, and the team commitment to a smothering system makes them seem a lot better than they really are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad