Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Rofl, turn the game on only for Smith and Leonard to make like 4 consecutive idiotic plays. Gabe alone in front on multiple occasions and they refused to pass it.

Then Gabe gets injured.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Definitely not Gabes best game but like @GoAwayPanarin said, Smith was f***ing AWFUL. Horrible penalties that led to a goal, didnt pick up him man in front for another goal, and just turnover after turnover.

Glad Gabe is heading to the Frozen Four! 10 day rest will be perfect for him if he is playing a little sore out there.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yes, he's a RW, though he can play either wing.

The general consensus is that he'll play 1 more year at BC, then go pro, but that could change depending on what Smith and Leonard do. Gauthier is expected to leave. If Smith and Leonard leave, that could change Gabe's decision. BC has some good players coming in, notably James Hagens, who could be the 1st overall pick in 2025, so that could factor into his decision as well.

Also, how they do in the NCAA tournament this year could impact all of their decisions. If they don't win it this year, all of Smith, Leonard and Perreault might decide to stay another year and try to win a championship. If they do win, maybe none of them go back.

I expect that if he returns to BC next year, that will be it for him, and he'll sign with the Rangers immediately following the season.
Oh wow, thanks a million. Gives me a better insight for sure. So, I guess we should be rooting for BC to win, thus the possibility of them being satisfied and moving on, albeit maybe prematurely? I'm just an especially excited Rangers fan, because it seems like we may have some sustainability going on here. I don't wanna live through anymore "dark tears". That killed me, like you have no idea.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Many will disagree with me, but I don't think the kid is physically ready for pro hockey. The skill level is there. He'd instantly be one of the more skilled players on our roster. But he still has a kid's frame. BC's page has him listed at 5'11" and 165 lbs.

I think he's spent most of his time at RW, but it's really not an issue to switch sides, if needed.

I'm sure the Rangers will put on the full court press to sign him, but I'd like to see him go back to college for another year. The college schedule is lighter than an AHL schedule, which allows more time in the weight room physically developing. He'll also be in line for a more critical role if Leonard and Smith move on, and I'd like to see how he handles the change and uses it to grow as a player.
Thanks, and that makes a helluva lot of sense. I read earlier people questioning WHO drives that line. But without Smuth and Leonard I guess we'll find out if he has what it takes w/o his buddies?

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i would love for smith leonard and gauthier to leave this season, and for Perreault to deal with being a main guy without that support system.

i think he makes nyr roster in 2026 and not before.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
i would love for smith leonard and gauthier to leave this season, and for Perreault to deal with being a main guy without that support system.

They’re very likely to do that. Gauthier is absolutely.
Smith is very likely but if he doesn’t I think the sharks would have to be very very concerned.
Leonard is likely to but the caps are in a weird spot right now.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Gauthier will be with the Ducks as early as April 15th, and will most likely play that last game against Vegas to start his pro career. Not sure what Smith and Leonard will do.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
They’re very likely to do that. Gauthier is absolutely.
Smith is very likely but if he doesn’t I think the sharks would have to be very very concerned.
Leonard is likely to but the caps are in a weird spot right now.
There has been no indication that any of this like likely/very likely. You're just guessing. Which is fine, but that doesn't make it likely/very likely.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
EF on 32T. He was discussing the Caps fans being excited about Ryan Leonard's play for BC. He doesn't know if Leonard will happening this year as in Leonard isn't turning pro after this season ends. Play college hockey versus playing in the AHL next season. Stay in college.

Reactions: Wieters

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I hope Gabe goes back next year and the majority of the other elite prospects on that team are not. I want Gabe to be the undisputed go to guy and see him raise his level even more.
How do you define “raise his level even more”?
Perreault stats this year have been phenomenal by any means. Even if all other elite prospects he’s been playing with would stay it’s difficult to image a repeat. If they leave? Even more unlikely to the point of safety placing bets against.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How do you define “raise his level even more”?
Perreault stats this year have been phenomenal by any means. Even if all other elite prospects he’s been playing with would stay it’s difficult to image a repeat. If they leave? Even more unlikely to the point of safety placing bets against.
Hagens is a BC commit. Even if all of Gauthier, Smith and Leonard leave, Gabe will do well with Hagens.

I'd like to see him play more on the PK, improve defensively, get stronger, and win more board battles. If he is healthy, his numbers will probably go up by default, but I'm not really worried about that. I want to see him round out his game.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hagens is a BC commit. Even if all of Gauthier, Smith and Leonard leave, Gabe will do well with Hagens.

I'd like to see him play more on the PK, improve defensively, get stronger, and win more board battles. If he is healthy, his numbers will probably go up by default, but I'm not really worried about that. I want to see him round out his game.

I bet some folks will be saying that he regressed next season.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

I dont really see how you can go from a line with two other top 10 nhl picks, and lose them, and assume that his stats go up.
I’d like to see him get bigger and a little faster, but losing two top players of that level isn’t gonna help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad