WJC: Roster Talk '13 — Canada V4.0 (Final Roster Named)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Excited to see what they do with the PP.

In my opinion/viewings, no one on this team runs a PP as well as Rielly, not even Murphy. Unfortunately, Murphy's probably got the leg up on the 1st unit QB spot because Spott knows him and probably also needs to justify bringing him as the 7th d-man...if he's not going to play big PP minutes, what is he doing there?

Either way, I just hope the PP minutes are distributed based on merit and not for justifying someone making the team.

If there's an undertone of me not liking Spott in this post, it's because I don't like Spott. (former Rangers season ticket holder too)

Why don't you like Spott? Seems like he has had a hand in the development of some quality NHL prospects.

And what about Dougie Hamilton? Seems like he's a good candidate to quarterback the PP as well.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
who is Canada playing for exhibition games?

they played the University of Alberta in the final camp game. Subban was absolutely terrible, and this is against guys with nowhere near the overall skill teams like the Russians and Americans will have. I'm really concerned about our goaltending situation.

Fulcrum

they played the University of Alberta in the final camp game. Subban was absolutely terrible, and this is against guys with nowhere near the overall skill teams like the Russians and Americans will have. I'm really concerned about our goaltending situation.

No, I know that.

I'm asking who they'll play from now until the tournament starts for tune up games?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Surprised they cut Corrado, by outplaying most of the players on this roster. He deserved to make it but lost out to the higher profile first and second rounders.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto

I think he means exhibition games played in Europe against some of the other national junior team. And you obviously did not watch the Canada-Russia challenge where Subban was the only goaltender to perform well (Brossoit was horrible during that series). You do realize that the goaltenders were chosen based on their seasons so far as well as their play in the SSS and CAN-RUS challenge, right?

Imagine if the selection process for Team Canada involved taking a bunch of guys who had never seen of the prospects before and telling them to pick TC based on 3 training camp games (not even full games, i.e., 3 periods of 15min each). Yeah, that's a brilliant idea.

Oct 15, 2008

It was the second game and UofA is one of if not the best CIS team in the country. They are pretty much made up entirely of four or five year WHL guys. They are two, three or more years older than the kids playing for Canada and are very good players in their own right.

They were much better, for instance than the "all star" university team in the final exhibition game.

Dont forget that Hopkins, Huberdeau, Hamilton and other Canadian starters were up in the press box and not on the ice either.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Russians are smiling at their fortune here. They just watched the Canadian starter get lit up by a University team, they have to be chomping at the bit.

They jumped on him early, but he was fine after the first 7 shots. Not like I don't understand being uneasy about Canadian junior goaltending these days though.

Luckily Canadian WJC goalies can give up 3 goals and be fine most nights.

Oct 15, 2008
Surprised they cut Corrado, by outplaying most of the players on this roster. He deserved to make it but lost out to the higher profile first and second rounders.

Camp means nothing. These people come in here and the team is pretty much finalized anyway. Its not fair to the kids imo. They should just pick the team prior to camp and use it as a one week prep before heading off to Europe.

Oct 15, 2008
They jumped on him early, but he was fine after the first 7 shots. Not like I don't understand being uneasy about Canadian junior goaltending these days though.

Luckily Canadian WJC goalies can give up 3 goals and be fine most nights.

If that happens against Russia its game over. We cant afford the same old inconsistent crap efforts in net if we want to break the losing streak.

maplehawk

HFB Partner

Subban was shaky but you realize most of the guys at UoA are straight out of the WHL right? And a lot of them were very successful in the Dub too. These aren't beer leaguers scoring on him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Lipon taking McNeill's spot was interesting but probably deserved. Everything else went pretty much as expected after Monahan got an early cut.

Fulcrum

It was the second game and UofA is one of if not the best CIS team in the country. They are pretty much made up entirely of four or five year WHL guys. They are two, three or more years older than the kids playing for Canada and are very good players in their own right.

They were much better, for instance than the "all star" university team in the final exhibition game.

Dont forget that Hopkins, Huberdeau, Hamilton and other Canadian starters were up in the press box and not on the ice either.

why not play a professional team? Wouldn't that give a better indication of who is 'ready' for challenges?

the Ruskies usually plays a KHL team and then another WJC team (like Canada) for final tune up

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Looking at the 2012 Challenge Cup between Canada and Russia, Subban was in net in the 3-2 win in Russia and in the final game where Canada won 4-2 in OT. Legace and Brossoit both conceded 6 goals in the losses against Russia in Game 2 (3-6) and Game 3 (5-6) of the series.

Edit : Legace conceded 5 goals, one was an empty netter. Subban had the best Save % of the series.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
I didn't know Nugent Hopkins runs the point on the OKC barons powerplay. That's usually what quarterback means. But I guess your senseless laughter means that you have a different meaning.

Minor semantics quibble, but quarterbacking doesn't mean the player is at the point, it's just whichever player most of the passes go through. Hence the name. That's RNH whether he's playing for the Oilers with Schultz or for Canada with Reilly.

Doesn't matter much though. Good PPs will have more than one player who can dish the puck effectively.

Fulcrum

And another thing, out of curiosity, is there a reason why team Canada adds 2 more hours to jet lag by going to Calgary for camp, instead of going East? Just seems like for a team that is bringing lamps over, they would think to take off the extra jet lag.

As pilots we try to have the 1:1 rule- allow yourself one day to recover for every hour of time difference to be 100% (if possible). That is, if they cross 7 time zones, they'll need roughly 7 days for full acclimatization. So 2 hours could make a difference.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
why not play a professional team? Wouldn't that give a better indication of who is 'ready' for challenges?

the Ruskies usually plays a KHL team and then another WJC team (like Canada) for final tune up
I know we typically play some of the European teams before the tournament (Finland is usually one of them)..so I'd imagine we will do that again.

However, UOA could probably go into the WJC tourney and do quite well. They are made up of 20+ year old's with many of them having solid WHL careers.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Camp means nothing. These people come in here and the team is pretty much finalized anyway. Its not fair to the kids imo. They should just pick the team prior to camp and use it as a one week prep before heading off to Europe.

Shouldn't the coach at least get a chance to see them all on the ice at the same time before making the final decision(s)? I mean, even just once? And if you gather them once from all over the country, might as well make it a mini "camp". I'm sure everyone involved, from coaches to players and their families, had a more realistic idea of what expectations are from this camp, and it's the fans who are bored and need to infuse drama into the situation by making mountains out of a couple of exhibition game mole hills.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
My special teams picks:

PP1: Huberdeau-Strome-Ritchie
RNH-Murphy

PP2: Drouin-Mackinnon-Schiefele
Rielly-Hamilton

PK1: Jenner-Schiefele
Oullet-Harrington

PK2: Danault-Hudon
Reinhart-Hamilton

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Minor semantics quibble, but quarterbacking doesn't mean the player is at the point, it's just through whichever player most of the passes go through. Hence the name. That's RNH whether he's playing for the Oilers with Schultz or for Canada with Reilly.

I'm sure it can be open to interpretation. If you want to put it that way than ok, but if so then I don't see how RNH has any bearing on Murphy and Rielly's position to man the point on the pp which was how this all started in the first place.

Oct 15, 2008

The Bears beat them 4-1. I think it was a very good game to see who is up to the challenge and who is in over their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad