Roster Speculation part XXIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's either the Rangers or Devils - NYC has a real pull on Harvard students, Wall St, huge law firms and publishing houses.

I hope Garth from SabresBuzz can handle the news when it's announced.

NYR I get.

Living in NJ is NOT living in NYC. Even if he lives in Jersey City or Hoboken, its a PITA to get to the city, especially for nightlife. Sure there are some nice bars/restaurants on the NJ side...but its not NYC. Usually the lure of living in NJ is if you work in Southern Manhattan, you can take a ferry or bus right there and not pay the stupidly high Manhattan prices. If you play for the Rangers, you can get a place is mid town manhattan and walk to the rink.

Basically, if wants to live in NYC, he should play for the Rangers/Islanders. The lure of NJ is familiarity of the coaching staff and the opportunity in the top 6. Sure the closeness to NYC might be a bonus, but he won't have it at his doorstep like he would if played for the NYR.

There's a reason NYR has been a destination for UFAs and NJ has a hard time attracting players.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
NYR I get.

Living in NJ is NOT living in NYC. Even if he lives in Jersey City or Hoboken, its a PITA to get to the city, especially for nightlife. Sure there are some nice bars/restaurants on the NJ side...but its not NYC. Usually the lure of living in NJ is if you work in Southern Manhattan, you can take a ferry or bus right there and not pay the stupidly high Manhattan prices. If you play for the Rangers, you can get a place is mid town manhattan and walk to the rink.

Basically, if wants to live in NYC, he should play for the Rangers/Islanders. The lure of NJ is familiarity of the coaching staff and the opportunity in the top 6. Sure the closeness to NYC might be a bonus, but he won't have it at his doorstep like he would if played for the NYR.

There's a reason NYR has been a destination for UFAs and NJ has a hard time attracting players.

You're wrong, my man. Couldn't be easier to take a 9 minute PATH from Hobo to the city - and you can get anywhere in the city. It gives you all of the Manhattan perks at a lesser cost. It's why I'm always surprised when more people don't consider the Devils if they seek the NYC life. The access at the Rock is also second to none. The practice rink being adjacent, gorgeous facilities, he can have everything he would have in NYC in Hoboken, minus as much perpetual noise.

My younger sister is making the switch from Manhattan to Hoboken for that reason, largely.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
You're wrong, my man. Couldn't be easier to take a 9 minute PATH from Hobo to the city - and you can get anywhere in the city. It gives you all of the Manhattan perks at a lesser cost. It's why I'm always surprised when more people don't consider the Devils if they seek the NYC life. The access at the Rock is also second to none. The practice rink being adjacent, gorgeous facilities, he can have everything he would have in NYC in Hoboken, minus as much perpetual noise.

My younger sister is making the switch from Manhattan to Hoboken for that reason, largely.

I would point out also that the Rangers, despite playing at MSG, have their practice facility located a considerable distance outside of the city in northern Westchester County.

So even Rangers players will have to make frequent trips in and out of Manhattan.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Eh, agree to disagree. You have to get to the PATH station (5-20 minute walk, depending), then, depending on where you are going in NYC, either grab a cab or uber, or take the transit to that location. Not to mention reduced service after the commuting hours. Not the same as being in the city.

For a pure commuter, the difference between commuting from Brooklyn, UWS, or Queens and NJ to Midtown or Lower Manhattan is probably negligible, so I see the appeal (though, Hoboken and Jersey City aren't really that much cheaper if you want to live in a decent building)

But a 23 year old single professional hockey player? Big difference between living within walking distance of MSG and living in NJ. Yes, he can ride the train to manhattan or pay for an Uber easy enough...but living right in the middle of it, while unreasonably expensive, would be quite amazing

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think it's going to come down to a lot of things for Vesey, and among them the place to live. A lot of folks play up the NYC factor, and how there's nothing like living there.

Maybe. I've been to NYC. Nice place to visit. Don't want to live there. I'm more of a Savannah, GA or Austin, TX type: city but not a big city. And that's just me.

Maybe Vesey is a bit of a homebody? A place like Buffalo might be right up his alley.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
I'd rather live in Toronto than NYC, but maybe that's just me

It's more of a modern city, the girls are prettier, and hockey is the #1 sport

AaronPines

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
My money's on Carolina.

That is Carolina via Chicago in 2 years when the Blackhawks can't afford a person who is on anything more than an entry level contract and trade him to the highest bidder. They'll fill the spot with another hot 20 something anxious to play for a winner.

It's good work if you can get it. [I mean, for Chicago]

The main board is arguing about timestamps, we're discussing the merits of NYC vs NJ. #VeseyWatch is going to be remembered as a way to describe those dog days of summer where fans look for anything hockey related to talk about; a new way to describe any hype that only hypes because it's in a vacuum. Other examples include the post NFL-draft/pre-Camp news cycle, Game of Thrones in the summer, etc.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
I gotta believe we're at least in the Top 3 with Boston & Chicago.

I will be shocked if he signs with another team not on this list of 3.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Depends which part of NYC you're in but Toronto is my pick to live in too. Less hassle.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Here's what I don't get. Word has it that he wants to be 'close to home'. So, allegedly, Det is out of the picture. Some even suggest Chi is too because they're further.

Does he want to be close to home so he can go there often? After practice? After games? When they have a few days off? Would he drive? Fly?

NYC to Boston is 4-5 hours by car, ~1 hour flying. Buf to Boston 1.25 hours flying. NJ similar.

Point is, unless he's living in BOS, he could fly home quick from anywhere else. Even from Chi it's just over a 2 hour flight.

Just seems that it may be a foregone conclusion if being 'close to home' has much weight or is the deciding factor. Yes, there are other factors such as role on team, team trajectory, etc.

Either way, I hope this ends soon so we can get back to the business of hockey.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Here's what I don't get. Word has it that he wants to be 'close to home'. So, allegedly, Det is out of the picture. Some even suggest Chi is too because they're further.

Does he want to be close to home so he can go there often? After practice? After games? When they have a few days off? Would he drive? Fly?

NYC to Boston is 4-5 hours by car, ~1 hour flying. Buf to Boston 1.25 hours flying. NJ similar.

Point is, unless he's living in BOS, he could fly home quick from anywhere else. Even from Chi it's just over a 2 hour flight.

Just seems that it may be a foregone conclusion if being 'close to home' has much weight or is the deciding factor. Yes, there are other factors such as role on team, team trajectory, etc.

Either way, I hope this ends soon so we can get back to the business of hockey.

Maybe he was just trying to be polite when he told them he wasn't interested.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Depends which part of NYC you're in but Toronto is my pick to live in too. Less hassle.

As a hockey player, I would like Toronto for one thing: Driving up my UFA asking price. That's it. There's a reason big name UFAs don't actually sign there.

It IS a nice city. However, you are forever in a hockey bubble. Imagine having to deal with 3 Mike Harringtons, 2 Bucky Gleasons, and 5 Jerry Sullivans....and that's just during a preseason post game scrum. Forget it if the team ever actually makes the playoffs. You tell one member of the media to **** off after a bad game...that member of the media will make it their life goal to drive you out of the city.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
What will we talk about when this is all over?

The Girgensons trade?

How cryptic. Too bad your prediction/implication record over the last decade has been so poor.

In any event, you're hardly the first poster thinking that if the Sabres made a trade, it'd be Zemgus who's on the way out - age, cost and style of play make him an attractive commodity, and his lack of defined position in Buffalo means he could be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad