Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
You're really trying too hard.

Fowler played 70% of his 5 on 5 shifts with a shell of himself Bieksa (55%) and a battered Despres (15%) who was in and out of the lineup due to a nasty concussion and other injuries limiting him to 32 games. He never really played with either of Lindholm (3%) or Vatanen (5%). I think you know this but I get the impression some on here think he played with them based on their comments about his strong teammates.

Fowler has his warts to be sure. But if he was brought here to play with Risto it would be a very different situation than the one in Anaheim, at least as it pertains to quality of partner. How would that impact Fowler's overall game? Don't know for certain but I would imagine it would improve quite a bit.
Okay so Risto is the best player he's ever played with, I'll give you that. But what makes you think he can handle the rigor of those minutes when he was one of the worst dudes at shot/goal prevention in the league?

He either: plays with Risto in the same role that trucked them both this season, they become the offensive pairing and we still need a low variance defensive defenseman, or he takes a mid-career step forward and puts it all together. Don't really want to play those odds, especially at "top pairing defenseman" prices. Also, I already said part of his atrocious numbers is probably due to usage.

Fowler's one I'd let the Bruins have, provided we have options such as Enstrom and Brodin available. Hell, I'd even roll the dice with Yandle.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Okay so Risto is the best player he's ever played with, I'll give you that. But what makes you think he can handle the rigor of those minutes when he was one of the worst dudes at shot/goal prevention in the league?

Holy hyperbole. One of the worst in the NHL? You really have a tendency to pick a few numbers and then try to pull the most extreme position you can when you don't like a player.

Fowler and Risto could be effective for the same reason many talented pairings are. They mesh well and benefit from the impact of talent playing with talent. The individual workloads they'd have on that pairing would be far lower than with any they've had.

Basically the sum is greater than the parts. Which is what we are going to hope for with anyone we acquire.

He either: plays with Risto in the same role that trucked them both this season, they become the offensive pairing and we still need a low variance defensive defenseman, or he takes a mid-career step forward and puts it all together. Don't really want to play those odds, especially at "top pairing defenseman" prices. Also, I already said part of his atrocious numbers is probably due to usage.

Its about his partners and usage

Fowler's one I'd let the Bruins have, provided we have options such as Enstrom and Brodin available. Hell, I'd even roll the dice with Yandle.

Brodin has had FAR better partners than Fowler.

Brodin's partners 5 on 5

-Scandella 33%
-Dumba 32%
-Suter 14%

All three being better than whats left of Bieksa and Despres. How this is constantly ignored when comparing them is amazing to me.

Enstrom I like but he is hardly a minute eater nor a long term solution. Yandle is garbage and I want nothing to do with him

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Holy hyperbole. One of the worst in the NHL? You really have a tendency to pick a few numbers and then try to pull the most extreme position you can when you don't like a player.

Fowler and Risto could be effective for the same reason many talented pairings are. They mesh well and benefit from the impact of talent playing with talent. The individual workloads they'd have on that pairing would be far lower than with any they've had.

Basically the sum is greater than the parts. Which is what we are going to hope for with anyone we acquire.

Its about his partners and usage

Brodin has had FAR better partners than Fowler.

Brodin's partners 5 on 5

-Scandella 33%
-Dumba 32%
-Suter 14%

All three being better than whats left of Bieksa and Despres. How this is constantly ignored when comparing them is amazing to me.

Enstrom I like but he is hardly a minute eater nor a long term solution. Yandle is garbage and I want nothing to do with him

This guy gets it.

On a separate note, would you guys consider swapping Ennis for Despres?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Would anyone kick the tires on Matt Martin in UFA? Combination of taking part of the Islanders' effective fourth line out of the equation, getting a consistently high level of physical contact for a 4th line player? Suppose it's a cost thing...

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Would anyone kick the tires on Matt Martin in UFA? Combination of taking part of the Islanders' effective fourth line out of the equation, getting a consistently high level of physical contact for a 4th line player? Suppose it's a cost thing...

Think he's pretty happy there ...you'd have to be willing to overpay and I'm just not sure its worth an extra mill or so a year to do it

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Think he's pretty happy there ...you'd have to be willing to overpay and I'm just not sure its worth an extra mill or so a year to do it

True, there are a lot of happy Islanders. Just kick the tires -- having a useful 4th line that provides energy and is decent in its own end would be novel. It would also mean Moulson is likely gone. :laugh:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Craig Custance of ESPN writing about Chicago's cap problems suggested Andrew Shaw may be a player they decide/have to trade. He mentioned Buffalo as a possible destination.

Interested?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Craig Custance of ESPN writing about Chicago's cap problems suggested Andrew Shaw may be a player they decide/have to trade. He mentioned Buffalo as a possible destination.

Interested?

sign me up...depending on the cost

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

No way. I wouldn't be able to handle a certain poster being around here more often.

I also hate Shaw, even though he's good at his role. I actually "like" the Sabres right now...don't want to spoil it.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
8 Skaters, 1 Goalie: Risto, Brodin, Fowler, Bogo, ROR, Larsson, Girgs, Foligno, Lehner
Jack and Sam don't need to be protected.

What am I missing?

Am I supposed to sweat losing one of McCabe, Pysyk, Ennis ?

Besides... we are just going to give someone a nice pick/prospect package to take Matt Moulson off our hands, or Cody Franson

the expansion draft is super Chicken Little

You'd rather not make a push to become a playoff team... for fear of losing one of McCabe or Pysyk? So weird...

Yeah, 14 more months of this "We can't acquire too many good players because then we'll have to expose someone pretty decent" nonsense is going to send me to the loony bin.

I like Martin (and Shaw) a lot. If we added two of Martin, Shaw, and Trevor Lewis to our bottom-6 this offseason, I wouldn't be mad.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agreed on Shaw. We went over him, what, three? threads back or more. My concern is tying up the money on him. Martin seems like a much more affordable option.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Agreed on Shaw. We went over him, what, three? threads back or more. My concern is tying up the money on him. Martin seems like a much more affordable option.

Didn't Q call him "irreplaceable?" Unless you think that's a negotiating ploy (so soon after the season, too), that's pretty high praise.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Shaw is on a different level that Matt Martin. Matt Martin isn't even the first fourth liner I'd want from NYI. Shaw can play up and down the line up. Martin cannot.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Didn't Q call him "irreplaceable?" Unless you think that's a negotiating ploy (so soon after the season, too), that's pretty high praise.

He's got McGinn-level underlying metrics, but he has that sort of right ******* level to his game. I'm torn. :biglaugh:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yeah, 14 more months of this "We can't acquire too many good players because then we'll have to expose someone pretty decent" nonsense is going to send me to the loony bin.

What if it's the same people that wanted to re-sign McGinn?
:scared:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Take it one step further:

8th OV + Fasching for Brodin
Kane + 2017 1st for Fowler

Defense is fixed with less than $3M added to the cap.

NOW sign Stamkos.

Love this up until the bit about Stamkos... He'd be a horrible signing long term IMO.

Not sure the Ducks would want Kane as a main piece coming back for Fowler either (too much salary) - maybe Girgs++ gets it done ? Would assume the picks are switched as well (ie '17 to MIN '16 to ANA) ?

Brodin for Fasching + '17 1st
Fowler for Girgs + '16 1st

We can add throw ins to either or both deals as well.

Either way you then protect ROR, Larsson, Kane, Risto, Bogo, Fowler, Brodin, Lehner + one other of your choice (does Moulson automatically have to be protected ?) Reinhart / Eichel wouldn't need protecting as I understand it. That's a mighty fine 'core'.

Any expansion draft should never be an issue for us unless we start handing out stupid FA contracts with NMCs (read Stamkos).

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I like Martin (and Shaw) a lot. If we added two of Martin, Shaw, and Trevor Lewis to our bottom-6 this offseason, I wouldn't be mad.

From a cost to impact perspective, I'd take Trevor Lewis if I had to choose 1.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I like shaw, but don't we have his role filled between Girgensons and Larsson?

As for Martin.....isn't that a similar role to Desluarier and to some extent Dupuy? A big winger who can forecheck and serve as a pseudo enforcer from the 4th line?

That being said, I'd love to go the direction of the islander's 4th line for ours...talk about disruptive.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Shaw is on a different level that Matt Martin. Matt Martin isn't even the first fourth liner I'd want from NYI. Shaw can play up and down the line up. Martin cannot.

He may not be the one you want, but he is the one who is UFA. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad