Roster Speculation Part XI...$teven $tamko$?? Pony up for PK?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Scoring is just a big a need as defense. Considering we have a whopping five guys with double digit goals I'd say adding a premier goal scorer is just as important as adding a top 4 LHD. Especially since we supposedly have 4/6ths of a long term defense in place with RR, Bogo. pysyk and McCabe.

Oh and congrats Stamkos on your 300th career goal two weeks after your 26th birthday. Who needs a 40 goal scorer we have goal prevention forwards like Larsson and high energy guys like D-Lo.The narrative that we don't need another high end forward is laughable.

I'm not as worried about the scoring. Defense is a bigger priority.

You have 5 doubke digit scores snd about 3 players that potential hit 10+ before the season is up.

Ennis would have hit double digits if he hadn't had aninjury filled season.

Bufalo has a decent prospect pool. A few scorer could come from there, or they pick a winger with their top 10 pick, or get another scorer via trade/free agency.

With defense buffalo doesn't have much in terms of LD in their system.

My concern is having a solid top 4 Dmen. The bottom pair and spare can come from these cheap vets (Weber) and ELC/bridge contracts

How is Stamkos a LUXURY?!?

Are we so well off in goal scoring forwards that Stamkos is considered a luxury, a unneeded piece? Is this a serious train of thought? This franchise finished dead last back to back years (scoring UNDER two gpg both years) and this year have the 3rd worst offense. This team needs goal scorers just as bad as they need defenseman. Having a need at one area doesn't preclude filling your other major need at an other. If Stamkos is a luxury then so is a franchise dman since we already have one of those. Last I checked you need more then one elite forward. And currently we have one sure fire future elite forward, one in the tier below that and another who projects as a 65-70 point scorer in Reinhart but not projected to be an elite franchise forward. How many more 0 or 1 goal games do you want to endure? Especially with our 5th leading goal scorer likely dealt at the deadline and no one in the pipeline to replace him. Or will guys like Larsson (2 goals), Girgs (6 goals) or Ennis (3 goals in 23 games prorated to less then 12 in a full season) able to easily replace not only McGinns goals but improve on our offense this season? The improvement our offense will get from Eichel and Reinhart aren't going to magically take us from bottom 3 to top 3 in gpg. Adding the second best goal scorer in the world does that.

Buffalo has a Stamkos--his name is Eichel.

It will cost $10M for Stamkos vs say $5M for Boedker or someother winger on less $$/term.

Rick Nash would fit. Iirc he has just 2 full seasons left being a UFA in 2018. I'm sure Rangers would love to unload his contract without retention or contract dump coming back.

Even before this Stamkos interest surfaced, when Eichel/Reinhart gets new contract...cap space management will be an issue where decisions will need to be made on who to keep snd sign and who to trade for futures snd have young players replace them.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
I'm not as worried about the scoring. Defense is a bigger priority.

You have 5 doubke digit scores snd about 3 players that potential hit 10+ before the season is up.

Ennis would have hit double digits if he hadn't had aninjury filled season.

Bufalo has a decent prospect pool. A few scorer could come from there, or they pick a winger with their top 10 pick, or get another scorer via trade/free agency.

With defense buffalo doesn't have much in terms of LD in their system.

My concern is having a solid top 4 Dmen. The bottom pair and spare can come from these cheap vets (Weber) and ELC/bridge contracts

Buffalo has a Stamkos--his name is Eichel.

It will cost $10M for Stamkos vs say $5M for Boedker or someother winger on less $$/term.

Rick Nash would fit. Iirc he has just 2 full seasons left being a UFA in 2018. I'm sure Rangers would love to unload his contract without retention or contract dump coming back.

Even before this Stamkos interest surfaced, when Eichel/Reinhart gets new contract...cap space management will be an issue where decisions will need to be made on who to keep snd sign and who to trade for futures snd have young players replace them.

I don't see cap issues coming this teams way once Eichel and Muffin are off their ELC. Who is going to eat up our money?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
If I have learned anything about GMTM it is that when his name is attached to a player he likes, he goes all in on him, ie. ROR, Kane, Lehner. If the reports of him talking to TB about Stamkos at the past draft are true then if Stamkos goes to July 1st, Buffalo will be all over him. Whether Stamkos is interested in Buffalo or not, Murray and Pegula will put on the full court press. When you can add a 26 year old superstar for cap space only, you have to try and figure the rest out later.

There are ways to find LHD and Stamkos would open up another forward to use as trade bait.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
If I have learned anything about GMTM it is that when his name is attached to a player he likes, he goes all in on him, ie. ROR, Kane, Lehner. If the reports of him talking to TB about Stamkos at the past draft are true then if Stamkos goes to July 1st, Buffalo will be all over him. Whether Stamkos is interested in Buffalo or not, Murray and Pegula will put on the full court press. When you can add a 26 year old superstar for cap space only, you have to try and figure the rest out later.

There are ways to find LHD and Stamkos would open up another forward to use as trade bait.

I agree. It scares the crap out of me.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

By my back-of-the-envelope math, Buffalo can take on contracts for 2-3 years to get solid returns from teams looking to unload contracts. You mentioned Nash. Buffalo could take on players like that. Bickell from Chicago was mentioned on the trade board. One year of his contract is worth McNeill and a first. I take that deal.

I wonder what Minnesota would be willing to part with to take Pominville off their books? Some combo of Tuch, Scandella, Brodin? I think about taking Pominville back to get 1-2 of those players in a deal.

Pominville, Brodin, Tuch to Buffalo for Ennis, 2017 1st, 2016 2nd, prospects? Allows Minnesota to pay for Dumba from Brodin's contract, Ennis for Pominville saves them $1M. They get Backstrom off the books, feeing up enough room to make a run at Backes? Backes fits their age group.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
By my back-of-the-envelope math, Buffalo can take on contracts for 2-3 years to get solid returns from teams looking to unload contracts. You mentioned Nash. Buffalo could take on players like that. Bickell from Chicago was mentioned on the trade board. One year of his contract is worth McNeill and a first. I take that deal.

I wonder what Minnesota would be willing to part with to take Pominville off their books? Some combo of Tuch, Scandella, Brodin? I think about taking Pominville back to get 1-2 of those players in a deal.

Pominville, Brodin, Tuch to Buffalo for Ennis, 2017 1st, 2016 2nd, prospects? Allows Minnesota to pay for Dumba from Brodin's contract, Ennis for Pominville saves them $1M. They get Backstrom off the books, feeing up enough room to make a run at Backes? Backes fits their age group.

I'd be all over that Minny deal.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

No way Minnesota does that. I would love it though.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
No way Minnesota does that. I would love it though.

I'd set it up better with a trade prior.

McGinn (50%) to Chicago for Bickell, 2016 1st, McNeill.

The go to Minnesota with 2016 1st (CHI), 2017 1st (unprotected), 2016 2nd, Ennis, and Bailey. Probably at the draft when teams want picks, and hopefully after Ennis is recovered.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I'd set it up better with a trade prior.

McGinn (50%) to Chicago for Bickell, 2016 1st, McNeill.

The go to Minnesota with 2016 1st (CHI), 2017 1st (unprotected), 2016 2nd, Ennis, and Bailey. Probably at the draft when teams want picks, and hopefully after Ennis is recovered.

Is Teravainen from Chicago untouchable? What would it take?
Trade for Lindell from Dallas to pair up with Risto.
Draft Laine.

Team Finland. Yes, please.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
If ROR is out long-term is that the blessing in disguise that helps secure a top five pick? Will Murray be working the phones a little harder and maybe take a little less to move the UFAs and aid the late season losing effort? Tanking is too strong of word but moving some guys and bringing in lessor players from the other team or call-ups should add a few extra losses without hurting the development of the young stars.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It continues to baffle me how the same people who evaluate defensemen based on point production don't recognize the importance of good dmen to offensive scoring/production.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I haven't had the chance to read through the entire thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but what about Lucic? He is a UFA at the end of the season and I know he doesn't have the greatest track record in Buffalo but I think he would be a great fit in our system. He's not going to be that scoring winger we need but I don't see Kane a fit here long term so it would be nice to have someone to replace his physicality. Has LA stated there intentions with him yet?

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I haven't had the chance to read through the entire thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but what about Lucic? He is a UFA at the end of the season and I know he doesn't have the greatest track record in Buffalo but I think he would be a great fit in our system. He's not going to be that scoring winger we need but I don't see Kane a fit here long term so it would be nice to have someone to replace his physicality. Has LA stated there intentions with him yet?
I think they planon re-signing him, and he & his family seem to really enjoy living out there from everything he's said so far. Wouldnt be surprised if he took a little bit of a discount vs a huge 6/42 type deal to stay in that org.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Our wing depth is poor, so why is everyone inclined to trade Ennis? Hes one of our best wingers....

Talking about trading Ennis is pointless right now because no one is going to trade for him after multiple concussions. Similarly, I don't think we can talk about him being an important part of the future. He needs to get cleared to actually play hockey then play well for several months before either can be talked about. I think people are overlooking how serious his string of concussions must be if we're not even sure he's going to play this season.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA

Keep Lucic far away from the team. I don't want an A hole like that playing for the Sabres.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

I'll push TM on to the full length of the Sabre if he even considers that *******.

The hate for Lucic should be a right of passage for all Sabres faithful.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It continues to baffle me how the same people who evaluate defensemen based on point production don't recognize the importance of good dmen to offensive scoring/production.

There are several defenseman who are stellar in their own end but don't possess the tools in the offensive zone to accumulate major production. Having 3-4 of those guys is fine. But it's simple, you need 1-2 dmen who are above average in their own end and a premier offensive defenseman. Those are the dmen who are valued and coveted the most.

There is a reason that every defenseman who carries a $6,000,000+ cap hit per season averages at least 40+ points per season on average (or did when they signed their deals as in Campbell and Charas case) save for one dman, Johnny Boychuk. And it's safe to say even though he is the 11th highest paid dman, Boychuk is no where near a top 11 dman.

Here's hoping Risto can be signed long term for $6.5 mil or less over 8 years. There are only 7 dmen who have a cap hit of $7 mil or higher. Phaneuf and Campbell are included in that but when they had signed their deals they actually warranted the salary. Campbell was a marquee UFA signing and was an elite puck moving dman capable of logging major minutes. Phaneuf was expected to be an elite dman for years and while he is still a solid #2/3 dman he is no where near elite. But the other guys... The Subbans, Letang, Doughty, Weber and Suter...there is no way you can say Risto has reached their level yet. And not to mention he is signing it as a RFA... Risto should be getting 8/48 with a $6 mil cap hit. There are a whopping 12 dmen earning that much. As a 21 year old RFA 4 years away from UFA and really no leverage outside of one high end season there is no argument on how he should be getting more then 6. 6.5 at the very most taking in the current cap into account.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Is Teravainen from Chicago untouchable? What would it take?
Trade for Lindell from Dallas to pair up with Risto.
Draft Laine.

Team Finland. Yes, please.
He's touchable so long as Toews-Hossa/Anisimov-Kane are the C/RW combos, the Toews line isn't producing, and their defense and overall depth is ehhh. He's really spotty on the left, and Chicago doesn't have forward depth after their top five or so guys.

I'm on record as a big fan of TT's. I might be overrating a good playoff run on an elite team, but Chicago's castoffs have a pretty strong record themselves.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Our wing depth is fine, it's all currently playing elsewhere.........or so I'm told :sarcasm:
Actually our wing depth is better than our defensive depth because:
  • Our best RW is a 20 year old rookie who has gotten exponentially better since joining the league and is already a positive team-relative player.
  • The guy making plays for our "all offense" unit is a 19 year old rookie who has also developed exponentially.
  • Our 1LW, 2RW and 3RW are all replacement level or worse players.
  • Zemgus Girgensons still has offensive upside left.
  • Bylsma finally realized letting Kane run the third line is better for all involved.
  • We have balls for possession driving on pairings 1 and 2. Fixing that increases offensive chance differential for literally every forward line.

Also, I forgot one. That O'Reilly hasn't played wing yet, even though he could still become the Lehtinen to someone's Modano long term.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

We could revisit the conversation about Sulzer's shooting percentage and how that made him super-awesome primo defense-guy. :help:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
All that being said I recognize that we probably need another forward, that Matthews and the Finns are by far the best assets - trade market included - available with a top 3 pick, and that Stamkos might represent the most "wins added" of any asset to change hands in the offseason, efficiency be damned (plus the long-term bonus of being the best UFA signing in Sabres/Pegula/Buffalo sports history).

My ideal offseason (with a top 3 pick) is:
  • Draft a forward.
  • Put the 17/18 firsts and non-core NHL youth on the table for every defenseman.
  • Swing for the fences in UFA because Pegula/Murray are gonna whether I want to or not - Stamkos and Backes the obvious targets.
  • Heavily churn whatever position we didn't fix with short term contract UFAs and other team's salary dumps - the Faynes and Wierciochs of the world.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
  • Put the 17/18 firsts and non-core NHL youth on the table for every defenseman.
There won't be a better Summer for offersheet potential in the next 10 years than 2016. Unfortunately what Edmonton is doing right now may make TM think twice about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad