Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

To upgrade the defense. Sign a 2nd pairing veteran. Zadorov can go to the AHL, because he can. Good teams have NHL ready youngsters in the AHL who can fill in if needed while playing in a development league.

That doesn't really make sense. Just play him on the 3rd pairing and let him develop in the NHL. He's been good. I don't think he needs to go to the AHL.

EDIT: And lol at Reinhart in the AHL

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
McEichel, Reinhart, Girgs, Grigs, Armia, Risto, Zadorov all in the lineup next year.

Better sign some vets.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Good is relative. He's been good as a 19 yo on a last place team.

Zadorov has proven, beyond most doubt, that he belongs in the NHL.

And that's where he'll be next year.

Our top 4 next year is more or less set unless a trade occurs:
Myers-Gorges
Risto-Zads

If we get a veteran, it'd be for the bottom pair, probably to pair with Pysyk

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Zadorov has proven, beyond most doubt, that he belongs in the NHL.

And that's where he'll be next year.

Myers-Gorges
Risto-Zads

If we get a veteran, it'd be for the bottom pair, probably to pair with Pysyk

In my opinion, our #1 offseason target should be a good LHD. Imagine adding Sekera or Staal to the left side of our defense. It would push Gorges off the top pair (where he honestly probably doesn't belong), and give us an actually very good top six (with a 1st pairing and a 2a/2b situation). Once Gorges goes Rivet on us, McCabe can push his way in.

Sekera/Staal-Myers
Zads-Risto
Gorges-Pysyk

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Myers-Gorges
Risto-Zads

We are in last place. We are the worst team...by a lot. I'm sure our top 4 isn't set for next year. If TM can improve the team without giving up futures, I'm sure he will.

ZeroPT*

In my opinion, our #1 offseason target should be a good LHD. Imagine adding Sekera or Staal to the left side of our defense. It would push Gorges off the top pair (where he honestly probably doesn't belong), and give us an actually very good top six (with a 1st pairing and a 2a/2b situation). Once Gorges goes Rivet on us, McCabe can push his way in.

Sekera/Staal-Myers
Zads-Risto
Gorges-Pysyk
Staal re-signed in New York

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Sekera/Staal-Myers
Zads-Risto
Gorges-Pysyk

Soooooooooo you missed that Staal re-upped?? :laugh:

I don't disagree with your overall point though. Sekera or Methot would be nice

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
1. Gionta still has 2 years left on the contract. He's not retiring

2. Sharp is a free agent.

3. You're gonna be giving up a good haul for Oshie, which would alter that lineup

4. McEchiel on the 4th line playing with those 2? No way

Even with two years, who knows how he (Gionta) is going to assess the shape of his body??

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks/ - Sharp has two years left on his deal. Although youre probably right (and the thought had crossed my mind) that he or Oshie would be costly. I wasnt sure who or where to speculate that piece may be (Grigorenko maybe?) so I didnt.

Also, I'd only prefer McEichel w/ those two big bodies in the early going and then gradually have him progress up the lineup.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Pysyk's situation this year is similar to Zadorov's status next season (exempt from waivers).

We're talking about right now. He's referring to that whole OHL (with a risk of going to the KHL) or NHL mess with Zadorov. He was too young to play in the AHL this season. If he could have gone to the AHL, we could very well have seen Pysyk up full-time this year instead of him. So, with that in mind, I think he's certainly exceeded expectations

ZeroPT*

Pysyk's situation this year is similar to Zadorov's status next season (exempt from waivers).

You're ignoring 90% of the situation.

Firstly, the KHL thing.
2nd, Pysyk was going to be up here but he got hurt on camp.
Three, the club is going to be at a different stage of the rebuilding plan next year vs this year.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
My point is that it is possible that Zadorov could start in the AHL next season after "proving that he belongs in the NHL" this year. Similar to what some thought of Pysyk.

This is how I feel about next season: "Sabres, Please Let This Be It"
I want Tim Murray to use all his cap space next season to add so much depth that it forces the kids who are exempt from waivers to either have to kick ass to earn the job on a "winning NHL team" or get sent to the AHL. The depth this provides is good for winning teams when injuries arise or a prospect is too good for the AHL (think Pominville at the beginning of his career and the team he joined).

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
My point is that it is possible that Zadorov could start in the AHL next season after "proving that he belongs in the NHL" this year. Similar to what some thought of Pysyk.

I want Tim Murray to use all his cap space next season to add so much depth that it forces the kids who are exempt from waivers to either have to kick ass to earn the job on a "winning NHL team" or get sent to the AHL. The depth this provides is good for winning teams when injuries arise or a prospect is too good for the AHL (think Pominville at the beginning of his career and the team he joined).

How does it make any sense to use all the cap space? Spending all of our cap space in free agency will completely screw us going forward. That's just from a cap perspective. This idea of forcing good prospects like Grigorenko through waivers in some misguided attempt at having him beat out a veteran you spent a lot of money on in free agency is folly. If these guys can't make the team you have to trade them, not put them through waivers. You absolutely 100% certainly would lose guys like Grigorenko and Pysyk (I assume he won't be exempt) if you sent them through waivers.

Edit: I see you said kids who are EXEMPT from waivers. My mistake. I still don't see the point in loading up the team in the offseason. They need a defenseman and a top 9 center. Beyond that they need to be prudent based on what's available. If there's a good signing out there, take it.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY

Then I'll refer you to Zero's post, I misunderstood.

I'd agree with you if we were a couple pieces from a cup run, but we need more development on top of additional pieces through trade/UFA. If we sign a boatload of free agents, with Murray using "all his cap space"...it poses the threat of a cap crunch when guys like Risto, Zadorov, Girgensons, etc are going to need new contracts, especially considering Risto and Girgs are a year away from RFA, Zads 2. We also need to resign Pysyk and Grigs this offseason, but I don't think that'll cost too much, but it may in a year or 2 after if we sign them to 1 year prove-yourself deals. If none of our goalie prospects get to where we want them to, it'll make shopping for a starter more difficult as well.

I think we need one forward, one defenseman, and one goalie...and with them sheltering the rookies and development going where we want it, I don't think it'll be enough for playoffs next season...but I don't think that's the goal. In terms of that article, I can't see us completely tanking next year if those tweaks are made...more of a middling team on the rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad