Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

SI

Feb 16, 2013
A person that just spent 6 years in the NHL (350 games) not riding the bus and staying at the Motor Inn for the next 6. He’s going to get a reality check real fast. Remember, also played for Keefe’s floater operation in Toronto and Lambert was a bit of a softie too. Roy, not so much. Roy wants to win and has to continue to restore his reputation in the NHL. A floater like Engvall ain’t gonna work under Roy - he’s done in organization as long as the other guys never give Roy the reason to make a change.

He can walk, go home, play for a team making $500-750k and be fine.
This might be your hottest and dumbest take yet - He is NOT walking away from 3 m this season and 18m overall. if he sticks out this season he might even be bought out and guarantees 10m of the remaining 15 and could still get his league minimum next season.

You should say things out loud before you post.

And shame to those who like this post.

None of you would dream to walk away from that.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Let’s see how Gauthier shakes out. His pattern is he doesn’t maintain the consistency to keep his role.

Whiplashing Engvall in favor of Gauthier is pretty much one of the same. Color me surprised if Gauthier plays more than 40 NHL games with the Isles this season.
He started out on the roster last season too, but disappeared after a month or two. I suppose it was a really close call on who made the roster, so unless he lights it up this time, they'll try out someone else. Same with Wahlstrom..

Reactions: Throttle

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This might be your hottest and dumbest take yet - He is NOT walking away from 3 m this season and 18m overall. if he sticks out this season he might even be bought out and guarantees 10m of the remaining 15 and could still get his league minimum next season.

Another projector with empty pockets saying what they would do.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Three Stanley Cup rings are the rejoinder

And this team is set up to have a great year . . .
This sounds like a Leaf fan who brings up their 13 cup rings as a rejoinder to their futility since 67. I’m not sure how long you use Lou’s great history as a rejoinder on the Engvall deal. Just because someone was great 20 years ago doesn’t mean they are now. Lou has an impressive history, but it doesn’t make up for the Engvall signing that everyone knew was a mistake.
I hope like the rest of us here, that the Isles are set up to have a great year, and waiving Engvall is a step in the right direction. I’m just not as convinced as others that enough changes were made to view this team as “set up to have a great year” given how maddeningly inconsistent they were last year.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Honestly the people saying that Engvall would agree to terminate his contract (which as you said it utterly ridiculous) I think are just looking for a way out from it and trying to rationalize any way it could happen (no matter how far fetched). It's truly no different than when we needed cap space the last few years and some people suggested we could trade guys like Bailey or Ladd for even a 6th round pick because they're good character guys or something.

Engvall's contract is an embarrassment, but he'll be around to collect every penny of it. Going to just have to work around Lou's huge mistake (as they are).

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
??? He reported to Bridgeport. It’s actually really awesome to be getting paid 3M a year to play a children’s game, even if you have to ride the bus to them.
No one said he wasn’t reporting.

All I said was a mutual termination was an OPTION during the life of the contract, if Engvall didn’t want to be riding a bus for 6 years. His contract is long and unique for a player like him.

On the flip side, Sorokin came over and wasn’t riding the bus to play a kids game. He wanted the NHL or not coming over. He had leverage, but it’s not as simple as ‘get paid millions to play a kids game.’

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad