Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I agree with others that it is unlikely Engvall terminates his contract. I am not sure what asset would have to be attached to get rid of the contract, but if it's not too onerous (third round pick or less), I think that would be the preferred route. Failing a trade, I would think the most likely outcome is a buyout next summer. 1 million against the cap for ten years shouldn't be that difficult to absorb with the cap drastically rising. I think it's a positive sign that the GM isn't doubling down on his mistake, but it still baffles me that an actual NHL GM would have made this mistake to begin with.
He was acquired for peanuts as a deadline acquisition and played pretty well with Nelson the rest of the way in games that mattered. Lou gambled, but in the grand scheme of things it’s a nominal cost and risk.

Look at the Tanner Jeannot debacle for TB.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think a lot of people are being more hopefully than anything when it comes to Engvall agreeing to a contract termination. He made roughly $6.5 million before signing with us and our deal with him essentially triples his career earnings up until now. Sure it sucks to have to ride the bus and deal with the travel and life of an AHL player, but I find it hard to believe it isn’t worth dealing with that for a guaranteed $18 million, especially when he’ll avoid one of the more annoying aspects of AHL life which is having to bounce around from team to team every year. He isn’t getting anything more than $1 million or so this year if he terminated his contract and signed somewhere else and unless he turned into a borderline top six player, he isn’t going to get $3 million per and definitely not on a long term deal. Even if he played this year for $1 million and then somehow went off and got a six year deal with an AAV of $4 million, that’d be only $7 million more than his current contract which he’s a) already made in his career and b) isn’t guaranteed. It’s pretty much $18 million 100% guaranteed vs. $18-$25 million in the unlikely absolute best case scenario.
You are projecting because you would suck it up and do it.

He signed a deal to make that money in the NHL, with all its premium services that come with it. It’s a unique situation due to the length, his time in the NHL, a Swede, and unlikely anyone wants his contract.

Lou may try to find a home for him to help him along, but HE failed Lou, not the other way around. My guess in that situation Lou doesn’t toss away assets like Rob Blake does to save face and keep his job. Engvall can play BST, pray for like 3 injuries at Forward, or move on.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
You are projecting because you would suck it up and do it.

He signed a deal to make that money in the NHL, with all its premium services that come with it. It’s a unique situation due to the length, his time in the NHL, a Swede, and unlikely anyone wants his contract.

Lou may try to find a home for him to help him along, but HE failed Lou, not the other way around. My guess in that situation Lou doesn’t toss away assets like Rob Blake does to save face and keep his job. Engvall can play BST, pray for like 3 injuries at Forward, or move on.
It sounds like we’re making the exact same point. I’m saying that there’s no chance Engvall is going to just let go of a guaranteed $18 million that he’ll have by his mid 30’s just to TRY to get back in the NHL and, even if he makes it back, not make that $18 million again. Sure his expectations were to play in the NHL, but like I said that $18 million would triple what he’s already made in his career and money does talk even to athletes. I agree there’s little chance we’ll look to move him with an assets worth anything to sweeten the deal for the other team, so Engvall’s only options are to just play in BP or terminate the deal, and I think it’s obviously which path makes the most sense.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It sounds like we’re making the exact same point. I’m saying that there’s no chance Engvall is going to just let go of a guaranteed $18 million that he’ll have by his mid 30’s just to TRY to get back in the NHL and, even if he makes it back, not make that $18 million again. Sure his expectations were to play in the NHL, but like I said that $18 million would triple what he’s already made in his career and money does talk even to athletes. I agree there’s little chance we’ll look to move him with an assets worth anything to sweeten the deal for the other team, so Engvall’s only options are to just play in BP or terminate the deal, and I think it’s obviously which path makes the most sense.
We generally are. I’m just saying it’s not that obvious he’s going to suck it up in BST to earn the full value of his contract. That’s a personal matter to the person whether they really wants that life. Redden in his post playing interviews said it was very hard on him to do it, but found ways through to rationalize it. He was essentially ostracized.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Engvall wasnt gonna get claimed unless someone really wanted a guy for 6 more years. I hope he pops up again, but Bridgeport is his wake up call. Its kinda funny how Gauthier actually made the cut over him. Guess the isles really liked his chemistry on the 4th line alongside Wahlstrom and Maclean. That could be a fun PK duo too.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Engvall wasnt gonna get claimed unless someone really wanted a guy for 6 more years. I hope he pops up again, but Bridgeport is his wake up call. Its kinda funny how Gauthier actually made the cut over him. Guess the isles really liked his chemistry on the 4th line alongside Wahlstrom and Maclean. That could be a fun PK duo too.
Let’s see how Gauthier shakes out. His pattern is he doesn’t maintain the consistency to keep his role.

Whiplashing Engvall in favor of Gauthier is pretty much one of the same. Color me surprised if Gauthier plays more than 40 NHL games with the Isles this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad