Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Engvall also has a 16 team NTC. Depending on how motivated he is to fly on planes instead of ride on buses, he may need to waive that.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
he’s currently making about 4x league minimum with 6 years of security. Who in their right mind gives that up? He’s a former seventh round pick that basically hit the lottery. What’s to say he’s guaranteed a spot long-term on another NHL club? He’d have to be a complete moron to throw all of that money away
I agree! Still. it doesn't always work out that way. We don't know all there is to know about people. (For all we know he's independently wealthy, or has a spouse who is a brain surgeon & he wants to be a stay at home Dad - a valid choice). But I think all of that looks too far into the future.

For this year,. Engvall has a chance to learn to do the things he's going to have to do in order to make back to the Islanders. And, for me, it doesn't necessarily have to do with physical play. Rather, he's going to have to become an excellent defender. He's got to get better at taking routes for shooters, his stick in passing lane, and blocking shots without turning away. He's got to be a contributor on the PK. If he can do those things, he'll be back. If he can't, he will have to settle at Bridgeport, or seek the healing beaches at Isle du Robidas.

Reactions: The Real JT

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Egg, meet face. I was completely wrong, y'all were right. :dunce:

I'm shocked that Lou made this move considering the trade and money that was involved with Engvall.

I'm also shocked that 28 year old with 300+ NHL games who averages around 30 points per season played himself out of a roster spot. And not like this roster is the 2001-02 Red Wings either...

Reactions: MJF

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Egg, meet face. I was completely wrong, y'all were right. :dunce:

I'm shocked that Lou made this move considering the trade and money that was involved with Engvall.

I'm also shocked that 28 year old with 300+ NHL games who averages around 30 points per season played himself out of a roster spot. And not like this roster is the 2001-02 Red Wings either...

Here to post the same. I was surprised, but pleasantly so by the move. I'm glad the roster consists of players the coaching staff fee have earned their stay.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I am not surprised.

Lou effectively told Ladd he has no place on this team (not his contract but still a team over individual move)

Traded Bailey and Beau, fan favorites with close ties to the locker room.

He waived Leo with a year left on his deal that led to a termination.

Lou wants to win. If that means he has to take criticism from writers and fans online for a bad contract he gave out that he regrets, so be it if it’s the right move.

GMs are going to make mistakes but I’d rather mine try to fix it or put the team above “looking bad”.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If Engvall agrees to a mutual contract termination after this season, I think he's then free to sign/play anywhere, including the NHL. So if his agent thinks he can get him a $1.5-2M contract, maybe he prefers that to 5 more years of riding the buses in the AHL. BTW, his agent is Claude Lemieux.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
No way anyone else would have been able to send Engvall down after GM made a huge commitment of Contract to him
Why? Lamoriello has always been merciless in terms of player management. If the assessment was that he's not helping the team, I don't think he's really going to let pride or something like that prevent him from making a move.

Reactions: Throttle

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
I think a lot of people are being more hopefully than anything when it comes to Engvall agreeing to a contract termination. He made roughly $6.5 million before signing with us and our deal with him essentially triples his career earnings up until now. Sure it sucks to have to ride the bus and deal with the travel and life of an AHL player, but I find it hard to believe it isn’t worth dealing with that for a guaranteed $18 million, especially when he’ll avoid one of the more annoying aspects of AHL life which is having to bounce around from team to team every year. He isn’t getting anything more than $1 million or so this year if he terminated his contract and signed somewhere else and unless he turned into a borderline top six player, he isn’t going to get $3 million per and definitely not on a long term deal. Even if he played this year for $1 million and then somehow went off and got a six year deal with an AAV of $4 million, that’d be only $7 million more than his current contract which he’s a) already made in his career and b) isn’t guaranteed. It’s pretty much $18 million 100% guaranteed vs. $18-$25 million in the unlikely absolute best case scenario.

Reactions: periferal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad