Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It would be absolutely glorious if he gets claimed - eyes are on the Bluejackets.

If he clears and is not traded by the end of the season, then he is most likely a buyout candidate next year with 5 years left @ 3 AAV - the buyout penalty would be 1m per year for 10 years.

Trade possibility A? I wonder if a trade for a player on a long term contract, who is destined to be on LTIR for the remainder of the term, i.e., Ryan Ellis, Carey Price.

Trade possibility B? A player on a similar deal? I don't see any comparables unless it is someone like Miles Wood.

Trade possibility C? A player who makes a ton of $ and Engvall's contract helps to offset the cost, i.e. Nurse or Huberdeau.

Trade possibility D? Isles attach a 1st round pick + to unload the contract.

I think Lou holds the title of GM but I truly believe ROY is quietly in charge.
No way anyone else would have been able to send Engvall down after GM made a huge commitment of Contract to him
Good Call on the Cholowski making the team.

Reactions: Top Corner

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
It would be absolutely glorious if he gets claimed - eyes are on the Bluejackets.

If he clears and is not traded by the end of the season, then he is most likely a buyout candidate next year with 5 years left @ 3 AAV - the buyout penalty would be 1m per year for 10 years.

Trade possibility A? I wonder if a trade for a player on a long term contract, who is destined to be on LTIR for the remainder of the term, i.e., Ryan Ellis, Carey Price.

Trade possibility B? A player on a similar deal? I don't see any comparables unless it is someone like Miles Wood.

Trade possibility C? A player who makes a ton of $ and Engvall's contract helps to offset the cost, i.e. Nurse or Huberdeau.

Trade possibility D? Isles attach a 1st round pick + to unload the contract.

Good Call on the Cholowski making the team.
Just retain 50% and I'm sure someone would bite. $1.5M is nothing in today's cap world.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
That’s fine. He didn’t EARN his spot for Lou to move on from someone else.

Lou can also force the issue. The player and team can agree to a mutual termination lf Engvall doesn’t want to play in CT for awhile.

Why in the world would Envgall agree to terminate a contract that will pay him $3,000,000/year for the next 4 years wherever he plays....When if he terminated it and became a free agent he would get league minimum to play somewhere else?

No way anyone else would have been able to send Engvall down after GM made a huge commitment of Contract to him

I see how one could have this thought, but the simple answer might just be that Lou backed the team into a corner with the cap and is sending Engvall down, not because he's admitting Engvall sucks, but to be cap compliant.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’d rather attach a non 1st round pick to Engvall to move the contract in entirety. Chicago would probably listen…

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lou can also force the issue. The player and team can agree to a mutual termination lf Engvall doesn’t want to play in CT for awhile.
Yeah, Lou can just let time perhaps solve the problem. After a year in BP, if it looks like he could see a repetition next year Engvall could opt to do a Kuimon and go back to Europe. He'll have career earnings over $15M at that point and might not relish the idea of riding the buses for another year or three.

In the meantime, if Engvall was on the roster the cap hit would be $3 million this year. Instead, now Engvall's cap hit is $1.85M and Gauthier's $787,500. So if Engvall's not in the top 9, it's a lower cap hit to send him to the minors and replace him in the NHL with a cheap player.

Reactions: Throttle

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Really impressed Lou showed us that he doesn't keep with sunk cost fallacy by forcing Engvall into the lineup. I also was incorrect in my assessment and take full responsibility for it. Shocked in a good way!

I do find it odd that we kept Wahsltrom vs. Foudy, but kept Cholowski vs. Bolduc. I'm not necessarily surprised based on performance, but just seems that one decision was based on performance while the other was not.

Reactions: FoxYou727

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Why in the world would Envgall agree to terminate a contract that will pay him $3,000,000/year for the next 4 years wherever he plays....When if he terminated it and became a free agent he would get league minimum to play somewhere else?

I see how one could have this thought, but the simple answer might just be that Lou backed the team into a corner with the cap and is sending Engvall down, not because he's admitting Engvall sucks, but to be cap compliant.
Certainly that was a huge part , but I think back to Roy leaking the Sorokin injury and believe he’s playing a bigger part just fell of script while Lou was still around.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That’s a leap.

Maybe Lou saw what Engvall didn’t do when he signed him? Under Lambert year 2 and Roy, he’s been kinda weak.

It would be pretty odd for Lou to not have analyzed the cap hit for the term of that deal when he signed it. Lou knows exactly what his doing.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

He’s 28 year old Swede. He’s been in the NHL for six straight years. Before that, he was in the AHL for several seasons playing in Toronto for an NHL club in Toronto.

His NHL career might be over absent a huge wake up call. Does he really have the mental fortitude like Wade Redden to ride a bus and play in BST to earn his NHL contract full term? Wade Redden did it because he knew his career in the NHL was over and he was making ludicrous money - he found a way through to earn $39M.

The player and the team can agree to mutually terminate the contract, if he wants a different opportunity. Otherwise, unless the light goes on, his quality of life has dramatically changed after 6 years in the NHL. This isn’t Corey Schneider proving to himself he can still play and wanted to play until he couldn’t scenario.

I don’t see Engvall finishing the term. Lou could buy him out or Lou could wait it out until the player says ‘I can’t do this anymore, i terminate and go home.’

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Engvall’s contract ain’t a make it or break it scenario for the team. Most teams have junk on the books too. It’s part of the business.

There’s nothing wrong with competition in the bottom spots.

Bolduc needs ice time. He’s not going to get it right now in the NHL.

Let’s see what the roster is come December.
This! Yeah, it's not a great contract But no GM bats .1000 and the $1.8M hit with him down at Bridgeport isn't going to make or break our season. At the time we traded for him we were a really poor skating team and he did help bridge that gap a little but in the here and now he got beat out so it's off to BP he goes. I don't think anyone will claim his contract.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
He’s 28 year old Swede. He’s been in the NHL for six straight years. Before that, he was in the AHL for several seasons playing in Toronto for an NHL club in Toronto.

His NHL career might be over absent a huge wake up call. Does he really have the mental fortitude like Wade Redden to ride a bus and play in BST to earn his NHL contract full term? Wade Redden did it because he knew his career in the NHL was over and he was making ludicrous money - he found a way through to earn $39M.

The player and the team can agree to mutually terminate the contract, if he wants a different opportunity. Otherwise, unless the light goes on, his quality of life has dramatically changed after 6 years in the NHL. This isn’t Corey Schneider proving to himself he can still play and wanted to play until he couldn’t scenario.

I don’t see Engvall finishing the term. Lou could buy him out or Lou could wait it out until the player says ‘I can’t do this anymore, i terminate and go home.’
he’s currently making about 4x league minimum with 6 years of security. Who in their right mind gives that up? He’s a former seventh round pick that basically hit the lottery. What’s to say he’s guaranteed a spot long-term on another NHL club? He’d have to be a complete moron to throw all of that money away

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
he’s currently making about 4x league minimum with 6 years of security. Who in their right mind gives that up? He’s a former seventh round pick that basically hit the lottery. What’s to say he’s guaranteed a spot long-term on another NHL club? He’d have to be a complete moron to throw all of that money away
A person that just spent 6 years in the NHL (350 games) not riding the bus and staying at the Motor Inn for the next 6. He’s going to get a reality check real fast. Remember, also played for Keefe’s floater operation in Toronto and Lambert was a bit of a softie too. Roy, not so much. Roy wants to win and has to continue to restore his reputation in the NHL. A floater like Engvall ain’t gonna work under Roy - he’s done in organization as long as the other guys never give Roy the reason to make a change.

He can walk, go home, play for a team making $500-750k and be fine.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
That’s a leap.

Maybe Lou saw what Engvall didn’t do when he signed him? Under Lambert year 2 and Roy, he’s been kinda weak.

It would be pretty odd for Lou to not have analyzed the cap hit for the term of that deal when he signed it. Lou knows exactly what his doing.
Lou knew him from Toronto. Engvall has always had elite ability at avoiding contact while being a mediocre middle 6 player. The signing was a mistake the day it was signed. Lou made a bad gamble and it was a loss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad