Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I was curious after watching Engvall's play where he seemed to shy away from blocking a shot.

Engvall blocked 21 shots in 74 games last season. A guy with his mobility, size, and reach should do a heck of a lot better than that.

It's not surprise that Cizikas and Pageau blocked a lot of shots, but even Barzal & Lee who don't play on the PK blocked over 50 each.

NYI PK'ers continue to be a problem.

Cizikas-MacLean
Holmstrom-Pageau
?-Horvat

Honestly the only answer I can think of that has a hope of working is Barzy.

Nelson would be fine on the PK. I wonder if Tsyplakov has played on the PK in the KHL? He has the speed, grit, and size to be good on the PK.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'm a big time Gauthier guy, would love him on the 4th line.

That being said, I understand he rubbed Roy the wrong way somehow last year and I hope he improved himself to fit into Roy's system.
Probably bc he plays one good game, then follows on with several you don’t belong here games. He’s just a player that really lacks consistency, which he’s demonstrated across several teams already.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I've watched them all so far. Tsyplakov is getting used to the NA ice still, but his instincts are good, he's very strong on the puck and is not slow. He'll play on the PP as a net front presence and I think they have visions of him PKing too as he did in the KHL, although maybe not right away (he gave up the puck leading to a goal in the first preseason game). Very very different player from Engvall, who in my estimation offers puck transportation and not much else at this point. If they don't feel Nelson and Palmieri need that then there isn't a great spot for him in the lineup.

Another thought I had was that Sorokin is probably starting the year on LTIR which will open up the cap space to keep 14 forwards. I think we're at the point where they might not see a future for Wahlstrom but they don't want to let him go for nothing on principle, so he would be my guess for that 14th spot.
Cool, thanks for your thoughts. I did get to finally watch the third period tonight (this morning for me) and Tysplakov looks like he has decent vision. Doesn't look very aggressive much like Engvall.

I gotta think at this point the front office isn't going to lament letting Wahlstrom go for nothing, but good point on the keeping 14 forwards. Injuries happen and they'll probably be enough juggling to keep him on the roster long enough to let him get some games and see if anything has changed with him.

Gonna be a long season as it’s looking like Engvall is going to be the never ending subject of discussion in Isles land.
Only if he plays, lol.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
And sending a message to Engvall that he needs to impact every shift to earn a spot

I would not be surprised to see Engvall traded in the next few days. He's a solid player who does not fit Roy's system of quick puck movement.
Who do you see wanting to take on that contract, I do not see a team out there that would take on the term of 6 more years.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Who do you see wanting to take on that contract, I do not see a team out there that would take on the term of 6 more years.

Hard to say
Would have to be a team that needs a 3rd liner that plays a certain style
It's not a terrible contract for a 10-15G/20A player
$3 million shrinks over time with the cap.
He's a solid player but the style fit with Roy's system is not there
Maybe a Pittsburgh

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Watching the game tonight, it looks like we had Palmieri playing LW with Tsyplakov on the right side of Nelson for the most part. I’m not sure how defined the wing roles will be since we have some versatility this season, but I could see that line working out since Palmieri can play both wings, Tsyplakov has only ever played RW, and Tsyplakov has shown some good playmaking ability which could be a nice pairing with Nelson and a more defensively responsible forward in Palmieri. Definitely interested to see if they stick together and form some chemistry.

As of right now it looks like we might see this for the top nine:

Duclair-Horvat-Barzal
Palmieri-Nelson-Tsyplakov
Lee-Pageau-Holmstrom

The battle for the fourth line and 13th forward spots are going to be interesting. Have to imagine Engvall has a spot locked down but I wonder if they only want to play him on the left side or if they’d be willing to play him or others on their off side. If Engvall is locked into the lineup, it’ll come down to Foudy, Karlstrom, Wahlstrom, Gauthier, and MacLean for the final two spots with Fasching also in the mix once he returns from injury.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Watching the game tonight, it looks like we had Palmieri playing LW with Tsyplakov on the right side of Nelson for the most part. I’m not sure how defined the wing roles will be since we have some versatility this season, but I could see that line working out since Palmieri can play both wings, Tsyplakov has only ever played RW, and Tsyplakov has shown some good playmaking ability which could be a nice pairing with Nelson and a more defensively responsible forward in Palmieri. Definitely interested to see if they stick together and form some chemistry.

As of right now it looks like we might see this for the top nine:

Duclair-Horvat-Barzal
Palmieri-Nelson-Tsyplakov
Lee-Pageau-Holmstrom

The battle for the fourth line and 13th forward spots are going to be interesting. Have to imagine Engvall has a spot locked down but I wonder if they only want to play him on the left side or if they’d be willing to play him or others on their off side. If Engvall is locked into the lineup, it’ll come down to Foudy, Karlstrom, Wahlstrom, Gauthier, and MacLean for the final two spots with Fasching also in the mix once he returns from injury.
Really, not a bad top 9 but highly dependent on what Holmstrom and Tsyplakov's seasons look like (and to a lesser extent Duclair, who I think will be just fine).

Reactions: islesfan3913

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Foudy and Karlstrom still up with the team but not practicing. Maybe I’m galaxy braining here but could they be trying to send a bunch of guys through waivers at once to limit the claims?

Whatever logic we won’t waive Wahlstrom for should theoretically also apply to Foudy - he’s a 24 year old former first rounder who has 100 NHL games under his belt and can play center.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
If the 13th forward is that critical to the success of a team, well, then, …
literally no one is saying that lmao we’re just bored and basically gossiping waiting for the season to start. I happen to think Gauthier’s great games are well worth his invisible ones. If he makes the starting lineup, the differences from last year to this are pretty favorable IMO:

Duclair >>> Fasching
Reilly >> Aho
Maclean >> Martin
Tsyplakov > Clutterbuck
Gauthier > Engvall

Reactions: iggy

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hard to say
Would have to be a team that needs a 3rd liner that plays a certain style
It's not a terrible contract for a 10-15G/20A player
$3 million shrinks over time with the cap.
He's a solid player but the style fit with Roy's system is not there
Maybe a Pittsburgh

I mentioned this last spring.

If the Isles would be ready to take on the whole contract, I bet Carolina would take Engvall in exchange for Kotkaniemi and the Canes might even throw in a B-prospect as well.

Can't say it'd necessarily be a good move. Would be a shot at a similar player bringing bigger dividends for a higher price - at some point.

ASIDE:
Kind of feels macabre writing the team name Canes in light of what's going on there right now.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
literally no one is saying that lmao we’re just bored and basically gossiping waiting for the season to start. I happen to think Gauthier’s great games are well worth his invisible ones. If he makes the starting lineup, the differences from last year to this are pretty favorable IMO:

Duclair >>> Fasching
Reilly >> Aho
Maclean >> Martin
Tsyplakov > Clutterbuck
Gauthier > Engvall
Lack of hockey IQ vs none altogether with the bolded. It’s almost a wash between the 2. Gauthier is going to revert back to being an AHLer very quick again and will be sent down to join his former teammates while Fasching winds up on the 4th line, rotating his ice timeline with Matt Martin.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Lack of hockey IQ vs none altogether with the bolded. It’s almost a wash between the 2. Gauthier is going to revert back to being an AHLer very quick again and will be sent down to join his former teammates while Fasching winds up on the 4th line, rotating his ice timeline with Matt Martin.
Agreed, I think they’re going to wait for another injury before fully signing Martin though. He can stick around the team for free until the deadline, and then rosters will expand anyway. He’ll be practiced and rested, and can get his 1000 games in

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Roy seems to really value effort and ability to play a system (not that most coaches don't value these things, but Roy maybe more so than most). So the 13th forward might end up being the guy who fits that best. From the way you're all talking, maybe that's Foudy?

As for Engvall, he was a 3rd liner in TOR and has been a 2nd or 3rd liner here. It's looking like if he stays his spot might be on the 4th line. So skating with the extras might be acclimating him to his new role - ie., if you're not dressing for games at all, maybe the 4th line doesn't look so bad.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Roy has confirmed second line Tsyplakov. FWIW Lee-Pageau-Engvall worked in the playoffs last year and I think Holmstrom is probably a great fit with Cizikas and Maclean… but Roy has said Holmstrom will be playing with Pageau too. So fourth line RW is all that’s left. My money is actually on Gauthier at this point.

Also, maybe not so hot take… but if Tsyplakov and Duclair both play top PP and in top 6 i think they both hit 55 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad