Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If Sorokin was dead I think Lou would keep the the coroner from reporting it.
Upper body injury obviously. Day to day.

In all seriousness for now I am not concerned about this. Sorokin has a level of talent that not even 5 people in the world have at playing goalie. Friedman is as credible as they come but this is the same media that says every offseason how the Isles are in on top players and it comes out that they clearly were not.

Reactions: Osakahaus

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
LTIR soroking. Hurt feelings or something, opens up what 9 million. Then send him back to Serbia to train like Rocky 5 then bamm come spring time we get him back.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Some other notes from Friedman besides the Sorokin thing, Per 32 Thoughts

-“I think Duclair is exactly the kind of player that they needed. Someone with some speed, who’s a little different from what they had. They have a lot of similar players, he's a bit of a different player with the burst."

-"You saw the effect he had... now I want to see a full year, a full training camp. I think Patrick Roy is really a bright guy. He loves hockey, everybody who's played with him talks about how much he loves being around the rink."

-"I'm curious to see what they do with Brock Nelson contract-wise cause I think he's a huge part of the group... not that Lamoriello's gonna tell me."

Reactions: SI90 and xECK29x

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I am usually an optimistic person, but this news concerns me greatly. Yes, could be a nagging injury, mental health, or family concern. Or, this could be nothing.

Is this possibly why Lou drafted goalies back to back this draft?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
All sorts of mistakes. Rocky IV to Siberia etc. Built in excuse is old age and possibly not playing hide the salami enough this week. Lgi.

I'm older than you

My salami has been in the refrigerator far too long

Reactions: mm11

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Upper body injury obviously. Day to day.

In all seriousness for now I am not concerned about this. Sorokin has a level of talent that not even 5 people in the world have at playing goalie. Friedman is as credible as they come but this is the same media that says every offseason how the Isles are in on top players and it comes out that they clearly were not.
My worry is that it's not injury related at all and something along the lines of "personal issue".

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I am usually an optimistic person, but this news concerns me greatly. Yes, could be a nagging injury, mental health, or family concern. Or, this could be nothing.

No I think that's just a normal draft procedure. Those kids aren't sniffing NHL for 4 years.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
Definitely something going on with Sorokin, seeing as they brought his old coach over.

Remember boys and girls, we were allowing like 45 shots a game, for half a season. And goaltending is tough, both mentally and physically. Add in a crisis or two, and a guy can melt down.

He has been a goalie for a long time, so I trust that he will work through it. He's on one of the closest knit teams, and the organization has shown that they will do him right.

There is no reason to think that he can't take us to the cup.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

That doesn’t help in the present.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Definitely something going on with Sorokin, seeing as they brought his old coach over.

Remember boys and girls, we were allowing like 45 shots a game, for half a season. And goaltending is tough, both mentally and physically. Add in a crisis or two, and a guy can melt down.

He has been a goalie for a long time, so I trust that he will work through it. He's on one of the closest knit teams, and the organization has shown that they will do him right.

There is no reason to think that he can't take us to the cup.
He’s been very pedestrian since the first Carolina series - that had nothing to do with shot totals against.

There’s something there beyond ‘shot totals’ and being ‘tired’ as some have suggested. His angles are off, his mental game looks weak, both also correspond with him being anointed the number 1.

Varly cleared outplayed him last season, absent signing Varly the Isles don’t sniff the playoffs either.

Right now, him leading the Isles as the number one is pretty suspect. We’ll see what happens this season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Well, if there is something wrong with Sorokin, it'd definitely make the signing of Hogberg - an older, more established European pro, who ain't coming over JUST to play in the AHL - a lot more sensible.

I mean, they signed him pretty doggone quickly after last season.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Well, if there is something wrong with Sorokin, it'd definitely make the signing of Hogberg - an older, more established European pro, who ain't coming over JUST to play in the AHL - a lot more sensible.

I mean, they signed him pretty doggone quickly after last season.
Yep, and they drafted two more while already having Lennox and Tikkanen in the first draft that that've had more than 5 picks in forever. You gotta think one of those dudes should be ready in 3 years, and if not we could replace Varly in FA or via trade.

If they knew there was something seriously wrong at the time then they probably grab a goalie that has played in the NHL more recently IMO. They probably knew there was bubbling up and started to cover their asses a little bit.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
That doesn’t help in the present.
Certainly doesn't. However, if there is a shred of doubt that Sorokin may not fully finish out his contract or if there is something on the horizon, might as well throw some darts at the board at the most important position now.

Reactions: SI90

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Let me just say what many of us here are probably thinking.

If Sorokin is out for any extended period of time or if somehow this is a situation that jeopardizes his career, then this franchise is in for a world of hurt for the next several years.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

If Sorokin is out for any extended period of time or if somehow, this is a situation that jeopardizes his career, then this franchise is in for a world of hurt for the next several years.

But it would open a lot of salary cap space

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011

If Sorokin is out for any extended period of time or if somehow this is a situation that jeopardizes his career, then this franchise is in for a world of hurt for the next several years.
I can understand that viewpoint for sure, but goaltending is such a volatile position. A random guy could come in and put up a Vezina caliber season one year and then disappear the next. Defense is still the most important aspect when it comes to the defensive/goaltending side of things. For example, our shot suppression was awful last year and that almost definitely led to some of Sorokin’s struggles. An average goalie can be made out to look great if the defense in front of him is solid.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I can understand that viewpoint for sure, but goaltending is such a volatile position. A random guy could come in and put up a Vezina caliber season one year and then disappear the next. Defense is still the most important aspect when it comes to the defensive/goaltending side of things. For example, our shot suppression was awful last year and that almost definitely led to some of Sorokin’s struggles. An average goalie can be made out to look great if the defense in front of him is solid.
Yup, it's a team game. Everyone thought we were doomed when JT left....didn't happen. Isles will use that money to improve in areas and make that goaltending position less important. Honestly, if Sorokin is having something going on affecting his concentration, without it going away, he's going to be an anchor of a contract. Best to just deal with it now, whatever it may be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad