Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
Lou will trade Wahlstrom for peanuts. He's not moving Holmstrom. That was his 1st round pick he made. Fasching is nothing but is easier to keep as a 13th/14th forward opposed to Wally.
Didn't Lou draft wally and dobson? or are you saying since Lou just became Isles GM that someone else made those picks for him?

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Didn't Lou draft wally and dobson? or are you saying since Lou just became Isles GM that someone else made those picks for him?
your right, I forgot he drafted those guys. But I still think he wants to hold on to Holmstrom over either one (Wally or Facshing )

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Lou will trade Wahlstrom for peanuts. He's not moving Holmstrom. That was his 1st round pick he made. Fasching is nothing but is easier to keep as a 13th/14th forward opposed to Wally.
Yeah, if he can’t swing a change of pace trade Wally is going to fetch a 6th if teams know we can’t afford to keep him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Unless Wahlstrom is part of a deal that brings back a quality player no reason to trade him for peanuts. Would be better to hope he links up with the Scarecrow and visits Oz.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Unless Wahlstrom is part of a deal that brings back a quality player no reason to trade him for peanuts. Would be better to hope he links up with the Scarecrow and visits Oz.

I think Wahlstrom/Holmstrom are being traded. They have to find a way to get the roster compliant to the cap either way.

Can Lou turn Holmstrom, Bolduc, and the 2025 2nd into McGroarty?

Can Lou turn Pageau and Wahlstrom into Lundestrom and a minimal contract dump (i.e. Vaakanainen)?

Dunno if either partner in crime bites, but it seems like we'd need something like this to happen in order to get a boost AND be back under the cap from the get-go.

Teams like San Jose, Chicago, Buffalo, Calgary, Colorado, Utah, and maybe even a Carolina are some of the other teams I can see possible deals involving the pieces above to be involved with.

Otherwise, as things are now, Lou could just re-up Holmstrom and send Wahlstrom through waivers (while letting Iskhakov walk over to i.e. Russia). Then he could just enter the season as is, cap compliant. No big changes. Duclair and Tsyplakov become the newbies that replace Clutterbuck and Martin. Fasching, Gauthier, and Karlström are contracted forwards 13-15.

Wahlstrom likely doesn't make it through waivers (or he does and lands in BPort, at which point his camp would likely make some noise and perhaps a failure to report), but if Wahlstrom is plucked, then the Isles would move up to the front portion of the waiver wire pecking order and can, at the latest right before the season, grab someone off waivers, particularly if they see a real nice bubble player/younger prospect being sent down that they fancy.

The little caveat to all this is hearing Lou say they'd be re-upping Wahlstrom and would not just be giving him away for nothing. Which is correct.

And honestly, if Duclair is the only thing coming of the "Roy input", then the statements in the presser a few days after playoff dismissal won't seem all that ingenuous.

But right now, it looks like Wahlstrom's contract is the one that will ultimately be breaking the camels back capwise.

And he's not even a guy the team wants to move forward with.

Reactions: Potvottier

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Otherwise, as things are now, Lou could just re-up Holmstrom and send Wahlstrom through waivers (while letting Iskhakov walk over to i.e. Russia). Then he could just enter the season as is, cap compliant. No big changes. Duclair and Tsyplakov become the newbies that replace Clutterbuck and Martin. Fasching, Gauthier, and Karlström are contracted forwards 13-15.

Wahlstrom likely doesn't make it through waivers (or he does and lands in BPort, at which point his camp would likely make some noise and perhaps a failure to report), but if Wahlstrom is plucked, then the Isles would move up to the front portion of the waiver wire pecking order and can, at the latest right before the season, grab someone off waivers, particularly if they see a real nice bubble player/younger prospect being sent down that they fancy.

The little caveat to all this is hearing Lou say they'd be re-upping Wahlstrom and would not just be giving him away for nothing. Which is correct.

And honestly, if Duclair is the only thing coming of the "Roy input", then the statements in the presser a few days after playoff dismissal won't seem all that ingenuous.

But right now, it looks like Wahlstrom's contract is the one that will ultimately be breaking the camels back capwise.

And he's not even a guy the team wants to move forward with.
Gauthier has also become forgotten

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
Neither Fasching nor Gauthier should be on the Isles next year to start the season. Both are AHL level forwards on a Stanley Cup contender imo. Look for one of Clutter or Martin to be the 13th or 14th forward for The 24-25 season

Last edited:
Reactions: Glorydays22

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Neither Fasching or Gauthier should be on the Isles next year to start the season. Both are AHL level forwards on a Stanley Cup contender imo. Look for one of Clutter or Martin to be the 13th or 14th forward for The 24-25 season
I would welcome Clutterbuck on a minimum salary. It would mean passing Fasching through waivers, not sure if he gets claimed or if that even matters. I like the guy, but at the end of the day it’s a business.

Still no conference from Lou, and until there is one I think he’s still trying for stuff. Call me crazy but I’m not sure I’m sold on the idea of losing Pageau to add another top 6 winger. I think we found out last season that Barzal is best used as a winger and I’m not sure if McLean is ready for a full time C role. Would rather see what we have in the new additions before making that kind of move

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Neither Fasching or Gauthier should be on the Isles next year to start the season. Both are AHL level forwards on a Stanley Cup contender imo. Look for one of Clutter or Martin to be the 13th or 14th forward for The 24-25 season

It is clearer by the day the Islanders will not be a Stanley Cup Contender this upcoming season. It really should be a season of seeing what youth and speed can do to help or hurt the team.

Come the deadline Lou should either have Palmieri/Nelson signed or deal them. And if I am being honest that decision really should have come before free agency even began.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It is clearer by the day the Islanders will not be a Stanley Cup Contender this upcoming season. It really should be a season of seeing what youth and speed can do to help or hurt the team.

Come the deadline Lou should either have Palmieri/Nelson signed or deal them. And if I am being honest that decision really should have come before free agency even began.
They are a playoff contender, same as has been under Lou. Timely scoring in playoffs, four line hockey, reduced GA, and riding strong goaltending is their MO.

When you sit at the bottom tier of the league as an attractive destination, one is not overhauling this team overnight.

Reactions: mm11

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Gotta think that both Martin and Clutterbuck will hang around until the fall.

Once a few guys like Gauthier and Fasching go through the waiver wire, then spots open and that's when one can be signed on the cheap and come on board.

I'm thinking Clutterbuck would naturally be the first to be re-added.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
That method increases how much they are able to accrue cap space, I.e if they are 100k under the cap they bank that - if you drop Tsyplakov between games you accrue a bit more for the days.

However, that doesn’t change the fact that the full roster needs to be complaint. Wahlstrom QO is the problem - it is .917k
if they keep Wahlstrom they cannot afford Holmstrom or Fasching.

Holmstrom and Fasching together fit under the cap.
I read 50.5 of the CBA. As far as I can tell, they get 1/186th of the salary every day, then anything leftover can be banked for future use. You have to be cap compliant on day 1, and then it gets more negotiable from there.

Which means there’s no way currently to have Tsyplakov on the roster day 1, without a trade.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
It's about time Cheveldayoff does us a solid for being a 1st round bust.
Same goes for Staios as we let him get his 1000th game when he was washed up. :laugh:

Reactions: Lights911

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I read 50.5 of the CBA. As far as I can tell, they get 1/186th of the salary every day, then anything leftover can be banked for future use. You have to be cap compliant on day 1, and then it gets more negotiable from there.

Which means there’s no way currently to have Tsyplakov on the roster day 1, without a trade.
Bonuses do not count - they get rolled over until next year unless they have accrued enough to cover the bonuses but the bonueses are not easily achievable bonuses like Andy Greene’s were.

The Isles will go with a 22 man roster - 13 F 7 D and 2 G - Wahlstrom is the odd man out - they cannot fit his QO. If he doesn’t get traded soon - he will be waived and either picked up or playing at Bport

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
They are a playoff contender, same as has been under Lou. Timely scoring in playoffs, four line hockey, reduced GA, and riding strong goaltending is their MO.

When you sit at the bottom tier of the league as an attractive destination, one is not overhauling this team overnight.

There is no chance the isles are in the bottom 3rd of the league as a destination. Years prior playing in a shithole arena and crap practice facilities, sure they were. That is absolutely not the case anymore.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
There is no chance the isles are in the bottom 3rd of the league as a destination. Years prior playing in a shithole arena and crap practice facilities, sure they were. That is absolutely not the case anymore.
They are on equal footing for arena and practice facilities - that’s all that’s happened in the grand scheme of things.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I'd say we're probably lower middle, but when you have this many teams in front of you you're fighting an uphill battle.

- Original 6 Teams (Toronto, MTL, Rangers, Boston, Blackhawks, Red Wings)
- Teams with Tax advantages (Stars, Vegas, Predators, Panthers, Lightning)
- Teams with Legends/Superstars (Edmonton, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Washington)
- Teams with legitimate cup aspirations (Carolina, Vancouver, Winnipeg)

Maybe the Wings and Winnipeg are debatable right now, but that would still leave us behind 15 or so teams, and doesn't take into consideration that we have the second highest taxes out of any state. And I think that there's a legitimate argument that if you're not in the top half it doesn't make much of a difference.

The last UFA I remember Lou signing that wasn't previously acquired by the draft, trade, Europe or waivers before Duclair was Leo Komarov... and that was for too long and for too much money. Even Duclair alleges he signed because he got a call from his former coach (guess he didn't want to call Marchessault?!?!). So even if we're no longer a last resort, it's not like we're some premium destination.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The last UFA I remember Lou signing that wasn't previously acquired by the draft, trade, Europe or waivers before Duclair was Leo Komarov... and that was for too long and for too much money. Even Duclair alleges he signed because he got a call from his former coach (guess he didn't want to call Marchessault?!?!). So even if we're no longer a last resort, it's not like we're some premium destination.

I kinda think it was Zach Parise, if I remember correctly.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Agreed but I suspect he came he because of his Dad’s connection to the franchise and his relationship with Lou warrants some credit too.

Without a hook, we’re still not the sought after destination for UFAs. It bugs me a little but not that much. Coaching, scouting, drafting and development mean far more.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

You're right, totally forgot. It's another "all in the family" signing though. Has Lou signed a UFA yet that hasn't previously played in an organization lead by him or Roy?

Edit: Here are your answers:

- Lehner (1.5M x 1),
- Filppula (2.75M x 1),
- Fasching (750k x1)
- Gauthier (787k x 2)

So about 6M in "new blood" over 6 seasons. Not exactly screaming destination spot

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

No chance...? I certainly hope you're right, but I looked through the entire league and when you take into account ownership, city, quality of life, taxes, etc, there's only a few teams that jump out as definitely a worse "destination" than the Isles...

• Buffalo
  • Ottawa
  • Columbus
  • Edmonton (honestly probably shouldn't be on this list right now as long as they have McDavid/are Cup contenders)
  • Calgary
  • Winnipeg

Every other city I think is in the ballpark of the Isles if not better. And remember...You have to look at this through the eyes of a 20-40 year old NHL player...Not from your perspective.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad