Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think his quest to upgrade the Top6 with another big splash which includes off-loading a contract (JGP) is likely over, so this is where we are...

Savoie just traded... for McLeod and Tullio
A deal to upgrade the top 6 very likely may not happen, however I disagree that the time has passed. And the McLeod/Savoie deal might be some evidence of that. Like, I don't think anyone was going to trade for JGP when they had a shot at a Chandler Stevenson for "free". Now that UFAs are basically done, if teams need something they have to make a trade.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
The over/under on Tsplakov making it to January on the NHL roster?

Wally is a toss in on a trade or he’ll stick around for when Tsplakov bolts to go back home.
I think Tsyplakov will be given every chance to prove himself in the NHL with us. A safe expectation is that he’ll be given third line minutes and PP time and if that’s the case then I can’t see him going back home since he’ll be playing roughly 14 to 15 or so minutes per game which is more than reasonable. Only scenario I could see that involves him leaving is if he looks completely lost out there and somehow worse than our other options such as Fasching and Gauthier. But he’ll only be 26 so I think he’ll definitely be given one full season at least unless he’s complete garbage.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Don't count on Tsypkalov making the team. Remember Jan Kovar and the Russian guy they brought in last season (Soshnikov?). Neither could crack the lineup and there's not much pointing tothe new guy being any different. When Lou says he is not for Bridgeport, it simply means he goes back to Russia if he doesn'tmake the team.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
A deal to upgrade the top 6 very likely may not happen, however I disagree that the time has passed. And the McLeod/Savoie deal might be some evidence of that. Like, I don't think anyone was going to trade for JGP when they had a shot at a Chandler Stevenson for "free". Now that UFAs are basically done, if teams need something they have to make a trade.
I think more teams would be interested in JGP if Isles retained 1-1.5 mil

Reactions: Ishkabible

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Don't count on Tsypkalov making the team. Remember Jan Kovar and the Russian guy they brought in last season (Soshnikov?). Neither could crack the lineup and there's not much pointing tothe new guy being any different. When Lou says he is not for Bridgeport, it simply means he goes back to Russia if he doesn'tmake the team.
Soshnikov sucked and Kovar literally is just PTSD from islanders fans at this point

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Realistically, how many goals do you think we’ve added from opening night last season?

Right now it looks like the players who are OUT are:
Clutterbuck, Martin, Fasching, Aho

And the players who are IN are:
Duclair, Tsyplakov, Maclean, Reilly

Is that maybe… 25-35 extra? A 30 goal bump would move us into last year’s top 10 FWIW.

Last edited:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
This is a different player. His goal output garnered attention and likely a contract that made it worth his while to come over but he supposedly has more to his game.

Reactions: SI and Osakahaus

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
They are mildly better, if no other moves are made. Some variables/inquiries.

Duclair could light fire with Barzal; if not, he’s at least good for an additional 20-25 goals.

We’ve already seen the first signs of Nelson’s descend. How far next year?

Can Palms score another 25? Will he be healthy? Will he decline?

Does Pelech bounce back, or are these the the first signs of descent?

Can JGP get his ass together for a year?

How much does Lee produce? He should give every poster 1k for his dedication to the community here...and our dedication back (while he’s trotting along across the globe golfing).

I’m confident Sorokin bounces back, but how much?

Who will fill in when injuries occur, especially on the blueline?

The East is better (sans, the Canes). Rebuilding/young teams are better, good teams are still good.

So where does that leave this team? The sane spot?

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I think more teams would be interested in JGP if Isles retained 1-1.5 mil
Why would we do that, especially if you are saying per year (both years left on his contract)? We aren't getting a top6er for 3 million. We need all the cap space we can possibly get next season needing new contracts for Dobby and Romanov and likely needing minimum one new top6 guy...

No, the only way I see him being moved is in a deal that brings back the full cap space (and even that wouldn't get anyone of value on the market, but might allow us to absorb someone in another move) or a hockey trade bringing a retention guy back for the Top6 and us sending a high draft pick/prospects the other way...

Not likely on either count at this juncture....

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This is a different player. His goal output garnered attention and likely a contract that made it worth his while to come over but he supposedly has more to his game.
Pretty much a guy who i also hope plays greatly on the PK. The islanders basically see him as that player, hence why no motive was made to sign trenin or lomberg

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Tsyplakov is a different player to those in the past. IMO, at the very least he is a Mihkeyev type or produces similar.

The Isles cannot afford to fit both Wahlstrom and Holmstrom’s QO even if Fasching is waived, so he gets moved or waived.
I think Wahlstrom/Holmstrom are being traded. They have to find a way to get the roster compliant to the cap either way.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Realistically, how many goals do you think we’ve added from opening night last season?

Is that maybe… 25-35 extra? A 30 goal bump would move us into last year’s top 10 FWIW.
That's a good question. I enjoy reading your posts and insights. I think an equally important question is how many goals against can this team shave off from last year? Wasn't it in Barry's first year the Isles allowed 100 less goals? Hopefully a full year with Roy's system and a bounce back year between the pipes pays dividends as well as a bump in goals for.

LGI

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Tsyplakov is a different player to those in the past. IMO, at the very least he is a Mihkeyev type or produces similar.

The Isles cannot afford to fit both Wahlstrom and Holmstrom’s QO even if Fasching is waived, so he gets moved or waived.

I’m not a cap expert by any means, but can’t they play some kind of game where they send Tsyplakov up and down from the minors (on paper) between games to reduce his cap hit?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

He better do something for the Isles this season.

As opposed to Kovar and Soshnikov, he was the top Euro free agent on the market this past spring.

There must have been a dozen or so teams in on him.

He's not gonna have a Kuzmenko impact, but he's definitely expected to be a LOT more like Kuzmenko than Kovar or Soshnikov.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I’m not a cap expert by any means, but can’t they play some kind of game where they send Tsyplakov up and down from the minors (on paper) between games to reduce his cap hit?

Nope, and I don't think he's waiver exempt.

They could bury waiver exempt guys down in the AHL to be compliant but then they'd have a shortened roster (and I haven't checked how many of those we have).

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

I mentioned this in the Duclair thread but adding him with no other moves is a net positive.

Agreed, he’s a player.
You could but that player who’s making NHL and AHL money difference would ask for a trade and the agent would be pissed. Teams do it for breaks but you’d really be messing with someone’s pocket.
No, they cannot. They need to be within the cap at all times.
Well they could theoretically, if a player is waivers exempt you can yo-yo a player to accrue more cap by the deadline
Nope, and I don't think he's waiver exempt.

They could bury waiver exempt guys down in the AHL to be compliant but then they'd have a shortened roster (and I haven't checked how many of those we have).
Ruslan is/was before Russian reports

SI

Feb 16, 2013
That method increases how much they are able to accrue cap space, I.e if they are 100k under the cap they bank that - if you drop Tsyplakov between games you accrue a bit more for the days.

However, that doesn’t change the fact that the full roster needs to be complaint. Wahlstrom QO is the problem - it is .917k
if they keep Wahlstrom they cannot afford Holmstrom or Fasching.

Holmstrom and Fasching together fit under the cap.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Lou will trade Wahlstrom for peanuts. He's not moving Holmstrom. That was his 1st round pick he made. Fasching is nothing but is easier to keep as a 13th/14th forward opposed to Wally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad