Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If you think that then you don't know me. I don't know how many times I have to say, "Go. big or go home." Lou continues to "go average" and that's why this team was just a fringe playoff team for the 3rd year in a row.

If you're going to gum up your cap, then do so with future hall of famers - Not a better version of Pierre Engvall.

And how about the Marchessault signing by our old friend Trotz? Dude had 42 goals last year and is all heart & soul...For 5.5M/year. Even if he fades towards the back end of that deal, that's better then the Jeckyll & Hyde Duclair for 2M less.

The owners have clearly decided the current path is the most promising - overall - in their business plan.

It feels like Ledecky has been a lot less visible. Malkin is interested in business. This team needs fannies in the seats and although some big names and instant success would surely help to those ends (like, no duh), any possible steps back to free up the $$$ necessary to get ahead in this and the seasons to come just don't seem to be part of the plan - or not a risk they're ready to take.

Lou is doing Lou. The owners are clearly on board.

I see the re-signing of Reilly and additions of Högberg, Tsyplakov, Duclair, Karlström, and Gatcomb as, well, a form of business as usual. Ok, admittedly, I liked the additions of Högberg and Tsyplakov as NON-TYPICAL Lou moves, so there's that.

Noneheless, they're just tweaks that can theoretically help the core that is not being altered. Maybe something else will happen because even as things are, a contract or two still have to be jettisoned.

But "go big or go home" is gonna have to wait until the next GM.

Heck - I'd rather have Skinner for ONE year 3M than Duclair for 4 years. He's now about to be on his 9th team in 12 NHL seasons.

Seemed logical. I gotta admit - his 3 MM in Edmonton really surprises me. I thought he'd be ready to accept Parise money in light of the buyout dough he's gonna be receiving.

But knowing Duclair was one of Roy's former Q players AND brings a level of speed that is rare around these parts made this signing as obvious as could be, especially for a player who must be REALLY ready for a deal with years on it.

Fortunately, Duclair will only have just turned 29 heading into the season. As of now, he's the most capable forward of skating with Barzal.

Last edited:
Reactions: leeroggy

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think we're gonna see a trade to get them cap complient soon.

isles two signings today are 100% Bridgeport only. I cannot see Karlsson being an islander due to him being a center/bottom sixer.

Takes over Koivula's role in the organization as the #5/6/7 in organizational center depth.

But I think he can play.

Dallas people liked him and felt it was ashame that there just wasn't any space in a loaded roster for him the past few years.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If the Jets trade Ehlers I am guessing they want an NHL player back. Pulock maybe

We all thought that for a while. But Pulock has a NTC and just married a Long Island girl.

Like, in case people hadn't caught wind of that...

In light of the Pinto situation, I'd prolly just get on the phone with Cheveldayoff and suggest the following:

Ehlers, McGroarty, Heinola, and the rights to Dmitri Rashevsky
For
Pageau (25% retained), Holmstrom, Bolduc, Dufour, and 2025 1st rounder (NOT lottery protected)

Let's see if he'd bite.

I'd then see if I could get that Wahlstrom for Soderstrom/Pelletier/Kaliyev/Berggren type deal done and see what Anaheim would send over for Cizikas.

But that's just me thinking out loud after several nights with too little sleep...

• Love
Reactions: leeroggy

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
IMO, Lou has moved on from Ehlers - he makes too much even if Lou moves JGP - they would need the Jets to retain $.
I also believe they should hold onto both 2025 1st and 2nd rounders.

I could see a move for Tarasenko instead of Ehlers - this will allow them to keep the pick and just pay $. They still would have to attach an asset to move Pageau and Tank seems like he is fixed on Florida.

So, I think they are done outside of moving Wahlstrom for a 2025 mid-round pick and maybe bringing in someone to challenge Fasching for that 13th F spot, maybe Kubalik or Barabanov or someone they can sign at the league minimum/no greater than .800K.

They need something for the PK - right now - there are not many good options left - the best one is Cal.
I guess they could go with -
Horvat - Cizikas
Pageau - Holmstrom
Nelson - Palmieri
*maybe Maclean gets some reps.

It does look like - they may spread speed throughout the line up
Barzal - Horvat - Tsyplakov
Duclair - Nelson - Palmieri
Lee - Pageau - Engvall

Maclean - Cizikas - Holmstrom/Fasching or UFA
I have a hard time getting past the Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri line. They were effective until Lambert decided they weren't. Disagree with that.

Not discussed; our 2nd unit PP was a disaster for most of the season effectively giving us a 75-90 second PP at best. What will be different?

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I have a hard time getting past the Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri line. They were effective until Lambert decided they weren't. Disagree with that.

Not discussed; our 2nd unit PP was a disaster for most of the season effectively giving us a 75-90 second PP at best. What will be different?
Agreed. When Engvall was working well with Nelson and Palmieri, it was partly because he's a pretty good puck transporter and zone entry guy. Nelson and Palms need that on their line. Is Duclair good at those things?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I like that Lou has kept the draft picks this year, acquired an additional 2nd, and signed a player under 30 to a deal. I believe the current path is to play it out (while possibly acquiring a younger forward) and wait until it is easier to get rid of the Lee/Pageau contracts along with Nelson and Palmieri being off the books. This will free up a ton of cash while the hope would be by this point Holmstrom would be developed into a defensively dependable second liner, Eiserman pushing his way into the lineup, and tons of additional cap space to work with.

I am currently a bit surprised we have not seen a change of scenery trade for Wahlstrom yet. While people are saying Pageau has value in a trade I will not believe it until I see it. He is a shell of his former self. Ehlers staying in WPG as of now makes me think it is known that he is going to test free agency after his deal is up.

Lou needs to continue keeping draft picks, continue restocking the cupboard (AKA trade down), bring in one more forward via trade, and be willing to pivot off of Nelson/Palmieri.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
We all thought that for a while. But Pulock has a NTC and just married a Long Island girl.

This is offseason #3 that there have been some hopes that the Isles trade Pulock (including *before* the extension went into effect). Really hoping another year of inactivity will put this to bed until his NTC opens up. I suspect it won't though. NTC becomes M-NTC in 2027.

On the plus side Pelech's NTC becomes a M-NTC next season so I guess there's hope to make something happen there. I'd rather him get healthy and play well so we can leave the top 4 intact though.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Without a doubt, trading Nelson and Palms "should" have been the way to go this offseason. I posted before that the assets and cap space we would have gotten from those two would have very likely given us options galore; a deeper, younger and faster top6 and fairly easily replaced the 60-65 goals lost between those two.

By Lou's standard however it has been a good offseason so far.

I dont know why Duclair has moved around so much, but his 27-27-52 (per82) numbers over the last 5 seasons when he basically started getting ice time are a welcomed addition to this lineup, especially for the 3.5 million price tag. Compared to three other forwards on our roster over that time period:

Anders Lee 27-21-48
Kyle Palmieri 24-23-47
J.P. Pageau 19-23-42

Each of those 3 are some 3+ years older than Duclair, who turns 29 next month and we know how much they are getting paid. Health seems to be the biggest thing for Anthony as he has only averaged 55 games per season over that same time period however, including missing most of the 22-23' campaign. An excellent signing IMO though at the price.

It was also a welcomed sight to get MacLean locked up for 3 years for basically the minimum and bringing Reilly back for only 1.25 million and a single year. I was worried the later was going to be an overpay, but Lou stuck to his guns thankfully.

Him keeping his picks at the Draft was also a welcome sight for a change, and I am impressed by the first three selections because they were not reaches.

So far he seems to resist giving extensions to Nelson and Palmieri and that too is a refreshing sign that I hope he sticks to.

Sure he can still try to unload Pageau and get another forward for the top 6 to join Barzal, Horvat, Nelson, Palmieri and now Duclair- something he reportedly tried to do in plucking Shane Pinto away from Ottawa- and that will definitely make the offseason a real triumph...

But if he is able to move Wahlstrom and get another "sleeper" to join Tsyplakov and perhaps add a couple of veterans at the minimum (a 7th defenseman to battle Bolduc and a PK/4th line forward option to battle Fasching) while doing gymnastics to stay under the cap...

Then again, using the Lou grading curve, it would be an offseason success...

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
The guy may have had some type of knowledge about Houda and the schedule but there is no shot he knew anything about Duclair other than a guess on fit and 100% did not know the offer Lou made.
Yeah it seems like he has some sort of source but perhaps not one that gives much insight into hockey ops. Schedule/Houda's dismissal seems like something that could leak out on the business side somehow. Maybe the group in charge of updating the website got word about changes and that's how he gets this info, who knows. Taking a guess, but these guys deliberately avoid talking about how they know things because knowing what goes on behind the curtain might lower their stature, and he's trying to sell himself as someone who gets things that the bigger insiders don't.

He posted about having no expectations of significant FA moves and although we can debate how significant Duclair is I think it's telling that he missed that one. The Pinto "offer" sounds like something that came from here.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Without a doubt, trading Nelson and Palms "should" have been the way to go this offseason. I posted before that the assets and cap space we would have gotten from those two would have very likely given us options galore; a deeper, younger and faster top6 and fairly easily replaced the 60-65 goals lost between those two.

By Lou's standard however it has been a good offseason so far.

I dont know why Duclair has moved around so much, but his 27-27-52 (per82) numbers over the last 5 seasons when he basically started getting ice time are a welcomed addition to this lineup, especially for the 3.5 million price tag. Compared to three other forwards on our roster over that time period:

Anders Lee 27-21-48
Kyle Palmieri 24-23-47
J.P. Pageau 19-23-42

Each of those 3 are some 3+ years older than Duclair, who turns 29 next month and we know how much they are getting paid. Health seems to be the biggest thing for Anthony as he has only averaged 55 games per season over that same time period however, including missing most of the 22-23' campaign. An excellent signing IMO though at the price.

It was also a welcomed sight to get MacLean locked up for 3 years for basically the minimum and bringing Reilly back for only 1.25 million and a single year. I was worried the later was going to be an overpay, but Lou stuck to his guns thankfully.

Him keeping his picks at the Draft was also a welcome sight for a change, and I am impressed by the first three selections because they were not reaches.

So far he seems to resist giving extensions to Nelson and Palmieri and that too is a refreshing sign that I hope he sticks to.

Sure he can still try to unload Pageau and get another forward for the top 6 to join Barzal, Horvat, Nelson, Palmieri and now Duclair- something he reportedly tried to do in plucking Shane Pinto away from Ottawa- and that will definitely make the offseason a real triumph...

But if he is able to move Wahlstrom and get another "sleeper" to join Tsyplakov and perhaps add a couple of veterans at the minimum (a 7th defenseman to battle Bolduc and a PK/4th line forward option to battle Fasching) while doing gymnastics to stay under the cap...

Then again, using the Lou grading curve, it would be an offseason success...
Roslovic is basically the last center available in FA, so unless you want to just move Casey up to the third line and play Mclean on the fourth trading Pageau to upgrade the top 6 is a tough sell at this point. Maybe we do something like a Wahlstrom/Kaliyev swap, but I don't think Pageau is going anywhere.

Reactions: MJF

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Roslovic is basically the last center available in FA, so unless you want to just move Casey up to the third line and play Mclean on the fourth trading Pageau to upgrade the top 6 is a tough sell at this point. Maybe we do something like a Wahlstrom/Kaliyev swap, but I don't think Pageau is going anywhere.
You are probably right, but I wouldn't automatically assume that would be the only option; depends on the wing you brought in. Although I dont think they are chopping at the bits to break up Horvat and Barzal, the later is still a center and you could "try" and roll out 3 totally new lines.

Ideally you would get a really good wing with that cap space and then like we both mentioned another sleeper for Wahlstrom- and those two would be "in the wing mix for the top 9" with Duclair, Palms, Lee, Engvall, Holmstrom and possibly Typslakov with Bo, Matty and Brock centering the lines.

Obviously the two losers in that "battle" would be joining MacLean and Fasching as wing options with Casey still centering the 4th line.....

That being said, I do agree that it is unlikely Pageau gets moved now

Although, there is still a disgruntled C prospect in Winnipeg who wants out that I would still at least be inquiring about....

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
You are probably right, but I wouldn't automatically assume that would be the only option; depends on the wing you brought in. Although I dont think they are chopping at the bits to break up Horvat and Barzal, the later is still a center and you could "try" and roll out 3 totally new lines.

Ideally you would get a really good wing with that cap space and then like we both mentioned another sleeper for Wahlstrom- and those two would be "in the wing mix for the top 9" with Duclair, Palms, Lee, Engvall, Holmstrom and possibly Typslakov with Bo, Matty and Brock centering the lines.

Obviously the two losers in that "battle" would be joining MacLean and Fasching as wing options with Casey still centering the 4th line.....

That being said, I do agree that it is unlikely Pageau gets moved now

Although, there is still a disgruntled C prospect in Winnipeg who wants out that I would still at least be inquiring about....

Who can run the fancy stats where the BoZal connection contributed to a 5v5 goal vs PP and OT?

No one can deny their chemistry, but I am curious as to how effective they were together at 5v5. A lot of their memorable connections to my memory were during OT or on the PP.

I'm not advocating to remove them, but would want to see the stats to back up the potential idea trying to roll 3 new lines.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

In light of the Pinto situation, I'd prolly just get on the phone with Cheveldayoff and suggest the following:

Ehlers, McGroarty, Heinola, and the rights to Dmitri Rashevsky
For
Pageau (25% retained), Holmstrom, Bolduc, Dufour, and 2025 1st rounder (NOT lottery protected)

Let's see if he'd bite.

I'd then see if I could get that Wahlstrom for Soderstrom/Pelletier/Kaliyev/Berggren type deal done and see what Anaheim would send over for Cizikas.

But that's just me thinking out loud after several nights with too little sleep...
Isles do not have the cap space for such a proposed move. 25k once Holmstrom accepts QO.
They would need to make another move to build the rest of the roster.

IMO, Chevaldayoff keeps Ehlers and lets him walk after this season - The Jets are contending.

Wahlstrom goes for a 3rd or 4th rounder in 2025.
Maybe they consider an upgrade to Fasching, who they can sign at the league minimum. This team is set.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
The go big or go home was hiring Roy. Now they signed a player he specifically wanted, and they all have a full training camp together.

Reactions: xECK29x

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Tarasenko is the best available UFA.
It is an outside chance, but they could sign him to a 1y/4m contract
and then move JGP and his contract giving the Isles a chance to sign another vet F - maybe Cal.

In this scenario, they could move Barzal back to C
  • Tsyplakov - Barzal - Tank
  • Lee - Horvat - Duke
  • Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
  • Holmstrom - Cizikas - Clutterbuck/Maclean/Fasching
If they don't, then here you go
  • Barzal - Horvat - Tsyplakov
  • Duke - Nelson - Palmieri
  • Lee - Pageau - Engvall
  • Holmstrom - Cizikas - Maclean/Fasching

SI

Feb 16, 2013
As it stands -
  1. Rangers - The Rangers are still tops in the Metro - even if they keep Trouba adding Reilly Smith to support the top 6 is a solid move.
  2. Devils - GREAT offseason. Last year they rid themselves of 2 vets and did not solve their goalie issue. This year they did, giving Hughes and Nemec strong mentorship and Markstrom will play well for them.
  3. Canes - They took a hit, but they have Necas move that could help make them better. They also have $ to add another top 6 F. - Tarasenko? Blueline has been redone and is not as strong, but still solid
  4. Isles - Sorokin and D play needs to be better as well as PK. Tsyplakov is a wildcard - They should get 20 goals from Duke but if they could get 20 from Maxim, then it pushes them into the playoffs
  5. CAPS - much better retool than in the past. Big Gamble on PLD - goaltending will be their achilles, but that D corp is very strong. They are almost 5m over the cap and need to move players out. Toss up between Isles for that 4th spot - Goaltending will be the differencemaker.
  6. Pens - They may fall off a cliff and be the worst team in the Metro. Dubas may get his rebuild.
  7. Flyers - They continue to rebuild and play hard... interested to see Michkov effect - could be challenging if he has the impact Kaprizov had on Wild.
  8. BlueJakcets - Bottom of the division - Not sure if they will be able to move Laine- maybe to Seattle for Bjorkstrand + otherwise just young and not good enough.
  1. Panthers - Defending Champs
  2. Lightning - The PP comes down to earth without Stammer. Still a very strong team
  3. Bruins - They certainly improved and are always difficult to play against.
  4. Sabres - This is the year- lots of $ left to add another piece - maybe Necas... young core steps up.
  5. Leafs - This is the year that Toronto loses it - Goaltending and D a huge issue for me - Tanev and Woll are injury -prone and with the lack of depth throughout their roster - all of sudden they are not only not playoff bound - they could plummet to the bottom of the stadnings.
  6. Senators - Better - they have a goalie and it will be a nailbiter to the end on who secures that final wildcard spot.
  7. Wings - Another year without playoffs.
  8. HABS - Ho-hum

Last edited:

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
As it stands -
  1. Rangers - The Rangers are still tops in the Metro - even if they keep Trouba adding Reilly Smith to support the top 6 is a solid move.
  2. Devils - GREAT offseason. Last year they rid themselves of 2 vets and did not solve their goalie issue. This year they did, giving Hughes and Nemec strong mentorship and Markstrom will play well for them.
  3. Canes - They took a hit, but they have Necas move that could help make them better. They also have $ to add another top 6 F. - Tarasenko? Blueline has been redone and is not as strong, but still solid
  4. Isles - Sorokin and D play needs to be better as well as PK. Tsyplakov is a wildcard - They should get 20 goals from Duke but if they could get 20 from Maxim, then it pushes them into the playoffs
  5. CAPS - much better retool than in the past. Big Gamble on PLD - goaltending will be their achilles, but that D corp is very strong. They are almost 5m over the cap and need to move players out. Toss up between Isles for that 4th spot - Goaltending will be the differencemaker.
  6. Pens - They may fall off a cliff and be the worst team in the Metro. Dubas may get his rebuild.
  7. Flyers - They continue to rebuild and play hard... interested to see Michkov effect - could be challenging if he has the impact Kaprizov had on Wild.
  8. BlueJakcets - Bottom of the division - Not sure if they will be able to move Laine- maybe to Seattle for Bjorkstrand + otherwise just young and not good enough.
Good take.

I see that you’re not expecting much from the Pens, but you’re still overvaluing them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold off at the TDL.

As for the Isles, I agree they should battle for fourth place. In an ordinary year, that would likely guarantee them of the last playoff spots. The upcoming year may be different with only three teams coming out of the Metro.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The playoffs are probably the same set as last year, except swap out WAS for NJ.

The team I can see slipping is Carolina - something is off there - and they still haven’t fixed their ongoing playoff issues.

The Isles should be fine with Roy, Sorokin getting his head/angles fixed, and healthy D.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
In this scenario, they could move Barzal back to C
  • Tsyplakov - Barzal - Tank
  • Lee - Horvat - Duke
  • Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
When you lack elite, high end talent, going with three 2nd lines might be the way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad