Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think it’s ok to “punt” next year rather than take on more bad contracts or dump draft picks to move bad contracts.

Run it back and see how they do with Roy. If they are substantially better, the team has a huge haul of assets now to get better at the deadline. If they are worse, guys like Nelson, Palms etc. can be moved for assets, maybe more.

If they are right on the bubble again then I have no idea what to do.
This is called the “Soft Rebuild.” When you’re actually rebuilding but don’t have the balls to say it out loud. :sarcasm:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
That Montour signing is brutal. I cannot believe Nashville got both Marchessault and Stamkos...their offense was only reason they were not top 5 this year

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Yet, it’s still hard for the Isles to sign quality UFAs, so there’s a headwind that’s not being considered.
Ya, but that was one example of many. None of them were among the top 14 free-agents and are likely taking around the numbers PHR suggested. There are probably about a dozen or more guys in the same ballpark that could be signed or traded for...It is still VERY LIKELY that a creative GM could turn Nelson/Palms into three Top9 forwards on the market and likely another 1-2 youngsters while STILL having assets left...

Again, it takes a way more creative (and better) GM than Lou, who is exhaustingly predictable....

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah, Tampa wasn’t doing this. With his injury history he’s a great player role I can still score like a beast but I’m a little surprised he got this much to be honest.

Season ticket renewals going to be dismal this year, eh?
I mean, realistically, what are you expecting? Our roster is pretty much full and we have no money. If we’re going to improve it’s going to be by trading.

Heyyy, that all must mean that.... Beau won't be re-signed! :sarcasm:

Hint, hint
Some saying Pens for Tito

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I think Nashville is simply a desirable place to play...add in tons of cap space...its same reason NJ is getting 2-3 guys
Totally agree about Nashville being a great place to play. Quality of life, low taxes and good weather. The only thing I think could be tough about playing for the Preds, is the travel. Geographically, it's in the east but plays in the western conference.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Yeah, Tampa wasn’t doing this. With his injury history he’s a great player role I can still score like a beast but I’m a little surprised he got this much to be honest.

I mean, realistically, what are you expecting? Our roster is pretty much full and we have no money. If we’re going to improve it’s going to be by trading.

Wow that’s a lot of money for Stamkos. He isn’t going to have Kucherov in Nashville. Think that contract will age poorly.

Reactions: Glory Days and SI90

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Some saying Pens for Tito

I think it's a bad signing.

Nashville is going all in and I'm not sure they'll be good enough to compete with the other top teams out west.

Reactions: SI90

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Personally, I'm not expecting anything. But if I were an owner, I'd be expecting something, it is a business after all.

Reactions: SI90 and FoxYou727

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That Montour signing is brutal. I cannot believe Nashville got both Marchessault and Stamkos...their offense was only reason they were not top 5 this year
Sea is a perfect place for Pageau - they need a player like him.

Could Lamoriello go this route instead of Reilly?
Roy seemed to look to Reilly and he’s looking for term/stability, something Lou gives.

Ghost just gets short term deals.

Reactions: FoxYou727

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I see lots of Islanders fans praising Trotz today, I'm not so sure these deals are going to work out. I'd be curious to check out their cap situation/roster construction once the day is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad