Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think Lou’s willing to move Nelson or Palmieri (or Lee/Pageau for that matter), but in a hockey trade. Not a trade for the sake of making a trade and then overpaying for a free agent.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don’t understand
Rags have no problem moving their captain. According to Brooks threatened waiving him if he doesn’t agree to a trade in place with Detroit. But it’s heresy to Lou to move on from Lee?
I think the issue is less about loyalty here and more that Lee doesn’t have value. A lot easier to move a big, physical RD, especially if you eat cap to make it work.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
That’s still 50-60 regular season goals this team would have to make up somehow.
Ya, but with the assets you would get for those two AND the cap space, I doubt that would be that hard...

Just for an example, and using PHR's Top 50....you could get:

15. Vladimir Tarasenko / Seattle Kraken / 3 years, $5MM AAV
24. Adam Henrique / Buffalo Sabres / 3 years, $4.25MM AAV
29. Anthony Duclair / Pittsburgh Penguins / 3 years, $3.75MM AAV

Signing those three would cost you 13 million, so the cap space you got from trading Nelson/Palmieri and 2 million of your remining cap space, still leaving you enough to sign your 6th defenseman...

Plus, you can likely use those assets you got to get a young player like McGroarty and maybe even use one with Wahlstrom to get yet another- both making less than a million...

And per 82 over the last 3 seasons you are trading:

Nelson 37-30-67 and Palms 24-23-47 for a total of 61-53-114

and getting:

Tarasenko 28-42-70, Henrique 26-26-52 and Duclair 28-26-54 for a total of 82-104-186 while obviously adding a forward to the Top9 mix....

not counting the young forwards you might have been able to acquire using Wahlstrom + assets you got for them....

This is just an example, but truth is the options would have been endless....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We'll go live as things start to heat up.

I'll do my best to put confirmed news into the News Around the League thread and leave this one for all the rumblings/rumors of the day.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I think Lou’s willing to move Nelson or Palmieri (or Lee/Pageau for that matter), but in a hockey trade. Not a trade for the sake of making a trade and then overpaying for a free agent.
There is options galore (not to mention the assets he could have gotten for guys like McGroarty and Pinto) and you dont need to overpay for a free-agent....

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Remember back in the day where teams at least pretended they waited till free agency opened to talk to players rather than just being brazen about it :laugh:

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I think it’s ok to “punt” next year rather than take on more bad contracts or dump draft picks to move bad contracts.

Run it back and see how they do with Roy. If they are substantially better, the team has a huge haul of assets now to get better at the deadline. If they are worse, guys like Nelson, Palms etc. can be moved for assets, maybe more.

If they are right on the bubble again then I have no idea what to do.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I think it’s ok to “punt” next year rather than take on more bad contracts or dump draft picks to move bad contracts.

Run it back and see how they do with Roy. If they are substantially better, the team has a huge haul of assets now to get better at the deadline. If they are worse, guys like Nelson, Palms etc. can be moved for assets, maybe more.

If they are right on the bubble again then I have no idea what to do.
huge haul of assets???

Did I miss something?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Ya, but with the assets you would get for those two AND the cap space, I doubt that would be that hard...

Just for an example, and using PHR's Top 50....you could get:

15. Vladimir Tarasenko / Seattle Kraken / 3 years, $5MM AAV
24. Adam Henrique / Buffalo Sabres / 3 years, $4.25MM AAV
29. Anthony Duclair / Pittsburgh Penguins / 3 years, $3.75MM AAV

Signing those three would cost you 13 million, so the cap space you got from trading Nelson/Palmieri and 2 million of your remining cap space, still leaving you enough to sign your 6th defenseman...

Plus, you can likely use those assets you got to get a young player like McGroarty and maybe even use one with Wahlstrom to get yet another- both making less than a million...

And per 82 over the last 3 seasons you are trading:

Nelson 37-30-67 and Palms 24-23-47 for a total of 61-53-114

and getting:

Tarasenko 28-42-70, Henrique 26-26-52 and Duclair 28-26-54 for a total of 82-104-186 while obviously adding a forward to the Top9 mix....

not counting the young forwards you might have been able to acquire using Wahlstrom + assets you got for them....

This is just an example, but truth is the options would have been endless....
Yet, it’s still hard for the Isles to sign quality UFAs, so there’s a headwind that’s not being considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad