Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Welp, cant do anything tomorrow unless we move out some salary. hard to see anything of significance but you never know...

Well, they can do something, but then they'd subsequently (and ideally) need to move a salary afterwards and you put yourself in a whole valuewise if everyone knows you're back is against the wall.

In addition, today is the first day of free agency. Unless the GMs basically hammered out deals right there in Vegas, just about everyone is going to be concentrating on signing players.

Our PK is so badly Broken that I have a Bad Feeling Lou Signs Adam Henrique Tomorrow.
I have had this thought for a while now...

Honestly, I'd love Henrique. I thought he was fantastic at times for the Oilers. And having him would make some of the other vets all that much more tradeable.

But I just don't have a clue why he'd sign anywhere for under 3 MM per and welp, we don't really have that.

Naturally, Henrique and Lou go back a bit, but this market is lacking and a handful of teams can use what he brings to the table.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Remember when Lou had to trade Toews because he took the team over the cap? We'll be back at that if we made some of the moves advocated on here.

Lou has $4 million to play with tomorrow assuming Holmstrom signs the offer and doesn't get a different deal. That is peanuts. Also, I'm 100% sure he tried to move Pageau at the draft but was unsuccessful, so any deal you'll see will be tremendously lopsided in the other team's favour, or he will not be moved at all (the most likely scenario for now)

The Islanders will not be in on any of the big name signings but they will be dumpster diving. I can see them offer Skinner a "show me" deal but anyone looking for action on our part tomorrow will be bitterly disappointed. It will be like the year when we signed Jon Sim to a 4 year deal....
I remember that day. But now I ask you why have you forgotten that there was a worldwide shutdown due to COVID… which impacted the Cap as it has never done in any year prior.

Additionally, why are you not factoring in that Toews elected for salary arbitration (as was his right) when the Isles had Pulock and Barzal to sign?

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I remember that day. But now I ask you why have you forgotten that there was a worldwide shutdown due to COVID… which impacted the Cap as it has never done in any year prior.

Additionally, why are you not factoring in that Toews elected for salary arbitration (as was his right) when the Isles had Pulock and Barzal to sign?
I have not forgotten either but the point remains: if he signs somebody now to take us over the cap then he will be forced to trade away a player or two before the start of the season thus dealing from a position of considerable weakness.
I'm sure there'll be a few guys on here jacking off hard at the thought of signing player A or B today, but just prepare to be bitterly disappointed instead.

Reactions: MJF

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I have not forgotten either but the point remains: if he signs somebody now to take us over the cap then he will be forced to trade away a player or two before the start of the season thus dealing from a position of considerable weakness.
I'm sure there'll be a few guys on here jacking off hard at the thought of signing player A or B today, but just prepare to be bitterly disappointed instead.
I never understand people who get excited or disappointed by offseason moves. The only thing that elicits emotion from me is wins and losses.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I never understand people who get excited or disappointed by offseason moves. The only thing that elicits emotion from me is wins and losses.
Wouldn't the aforementioned directly influence wins and losses? What a strange thing to say!

I don't care about ice cream...I only care about milkshakes?!?!

I don't get too disappointed about offseasons either, but the way you rationalized it was more than odd.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Then make that point without using an inaccurate example.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Curious to see what levers Lamoriello can/will pull, definitely some interesting names out there (Marchessault, Stamkos) that have their name on the Stanley Cup and Necas, Pinto (whom would signal a shift in movement towards youth).

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Curious to see the result of the Rangers throwing their vets and Captain under the bus.

Many here should be thrilled since that will surely mess with their 2 time Conference finalist team and family dynamic.

Last edited:

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Again, broken record post; but it takes someone with a lot more awareness and creativity than Lou to be able to improve on 2024-25 and the future in the process. Instead it will be the same tiring process that he always uses each offseason, which is focusing on unmovable or harder to move players that usually winds up with him running it back with marginal additions.

Plan A (creative GM)

1. Trade Nelson and Palmieri and their expiring deals and getting back the biggest haul of assets (likely a 1st, couple of 2nd/3rd's and/or a couple of high end prospect(s)) while gaining 11 million in cap space (a longer list of teams would want these 2 players)

2. Use said acquired assets to get young forwards who are knocking on the door like McGroarty, etc

3. Use now 15 million in cap space to get 3 forwards and likely 2 blueliners (cheap on the later to make Bolduc your #8) and giving you team much more depth

4. Maybe even a hockey trade involving Pageau and also using one of the assets you gained from #1

Plan B (Lou)

1. Try a little to trade harder to move contracts, needing to attach assets to (an even harder task because the list of teams willing to do this becomes way shorter)

2. Realizing he can't do #1 and convincing the masses he still "believes in this team"

3. Overpaying to bring one or more of our own free-agents back (Reilly/Clutterbuck, etc)

4. Using the minimal cap space to add another forward that our roster still has too many of and brings no real upgrade to the team

Rinse and Repeat...LGI!

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Today is traditionally the worst day of the year for Islanders fans. Like Jewish kids on Christmas, watching their friends open all the shiny new toys.
A lot of us Jewish kids were sons of the toy store owners and manufacturers of those items, so we were smiling all the way to the bank . . .

At my age, that's a good day whether we sign someone or not . . .

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Today is traditionally the worst day of the year for Islanders fans. Like Jewish kids on Christmas, watching their friends open all the shiny new toys.
I'm Jewish (but not culturally like most LI Jews bc I'm Israeli-American), and I think non-Jews generally have more reason to be jealous of the gifts given to Jewish kids. Birthdays, in particular, are insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad