Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Assuming we resign Rielly at 1.2 and Holmstrom at 900k we have less than 4 million in cap space

I have a feeling we will see a Pageau + Wally package for someone than again I was almost certain we'd use one of the seconds for Chicago to dump Pageau

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
He didn’t say he wants out. His agent is exerting pressure because he doesnt want his guy getting lowballed with a bridge deal after paying a stiff (deserved) penalty for his suspension. This is a matter of him making 2x3 vs something like 4x6, not to mention the latter deal puts him in a spot for a massive payday down the line.
THIS is what you do if you want out:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Re: UFAs (and leaving aside trade possibilities entirely):

I really like the PO Joseph option for LHD if no Reilly. Or how about TJ Brodie: he played 78 games for TOR last season with over 21 minutes per game. Not sure what kind of $$ he'd be looking for, but might be an alternative to Reilly on a 1 or max 2 year deal. Or, Matt Grzelcyk. Played 63 games for BOS with around 17:30 per game TOI. Brady Skjei would add some speed and puck-moving to the 2nd pair, but it's probably unrealistic and would be expensive and would mean somehow dealing Pelech or moving him to pair #3 for 1 year and then trading him next year after his NTC is reduced. But LHD is a position of some depth in the pipeline, so it almost makes more sense to find a cheaper, short-term option.

Up front, leaving aside some of the bigger names I love the idea of adding Chandler Stevenson, but I'm sure there will be lots of competition for him and the cost would be high. But he'd be a huge offensive and speed upgrade and assuming you could move out JGP the cap consequences might not be bad. He could potentially take the 2C slot and allow Nelson to move to LW. Henrique is of course a possibility because Lou. If both Martin and Cal leave, Yakov Trenin would make a ton of sense. Barabanov had a down year, but he'd be a good puck transporter for the bottom 6 and could fill in higher up in a pinch. Martinook? And for some reason Danton Heinen just seems like exactly the kind of guy we end up with.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Assuming we resign Rielly at 1.2 and Holmstrom at 900k we have less than 4 million in cap space

I have a feeling we will see a Pageau + Wally package for someone than again I was almost certain we'd use one of the seconds for Chicago to dump Pageau
That's light on Reilly and they are not trading the picks they just took.

If they trade JGP it might be for someone who is step below and makes some money - something like Pageau (2y/5) for Mattieu Joseph (2y.2/95), but I really doubt they are moving JGP.

Here is my list for 6th d man -
  1. Brannstrom
  2. Bean
  3. Reilly (only if it is < 2m
  4. Boqvist
  5. Norlinder
  6. PO Joseph

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Here are things I'd like to see tomorrow -
  1. A top 6 F signed via free agency - i.e., Skinner, Arvidsson
  2. Wahlstrom traded for a 2025 pick or comparable prospect - i.e., Berggren, Kaliyev, Heinola
  3. A top 9 F signed via free agency on a bargain deal, like < 1m - i.e., Atkinson, Beauvillier
  4. Sign a young PMD on a 1-year deal - i.e., Brannstrom, Bean
  5. TWO solid AHL C to help in Bridgeport - Gawdin and Blandisi
2023 - 2024 lineups vs. 2024 - 2025 projected lineups
  • Lee - Horvat - Barzal vs. Skinner - Horvat - Barzal
  • Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri vs. Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
  • Holmstrom - Pageau - Wahlstrom/Gauthier/Fasching vs. Lee - Pageau - Atkinson/Beauvillier
  • Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck vs. Maclean - Cizikas - Holmstrom/Fasching
  • Romanov - Dobson vs. Romanov - Dobson
  • Pelech - Pulock vs. Pelech - Pulock
  • Aho/Bolduc - Mayfield vs. Aho/Bolduc - Mayfield
  • Sorokin and Varlamov vs. Sorokin and Varlamov

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I'm aware. They needed to clear out salary in order to be players.
They can always make the signing with a corresponding move to follow.
If they do make a trade it is either JGP or Palmieri.

Marchessault is not resigning - could look at Roy his old coach - they could move Palmieri and it would be an upgrade, but they still need another top 6 F. A Marchessault signing with JGP on the move could look like -
  • Barzal - Horvat - Marchessault
  • Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
  • Lee - Cizikas - Fasching/UFA (Beauvillier/Atkinson)
  • Holmstrom - Maclean - Tsyplakov

Last edited:
Reactions: BelovedIsles

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I honestly have no clue what's going to happen with the Isles, but seeing all of the trade Pageau posts on this board...

I still don't think that the Islanders OR the rest of the NHL executives have as low of an opinion on Pageau (current contract considered) than fans/posters on this site.

Reactions: Potvottier

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Remember when Lou had to trade Toews because he took the team over the cap? We'll be back at that if we made some of the moves advocated on here.

Lou has $4 million to play with tomorrow assuming Holmstrom signs the offer and doesn't get a different deal. That is peanuts. Also, I'm 100% sure he tried to move Pageau at the draft but was unsuccessful, so any deal you'll see will be tremendously lopsided in the other team's favour, or he will not be moved at all (the most likely scenario for now)

The Islanders will not be in on any of the big name signings but they will be dumpster diving. I can see them offer Skinner a "show me" deal but anyone looking for action on our part tomorrow will be bitterly disappointed. It will be like the year when we signed Jon Sim to a 4 year deal....

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2