HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Did you think I was suggesting signing him for $8M or what?
How much money you ready to give the dude? We already have 23M$ on our first line, if we give him 17M$ with terms (anything under that will easily be beat), that 40M$ for 4 forwards. Draisaitl is a top G but can we afford this long term, add Demidov who will most likely do 7-8 by the time he is 21. I won't do the full math now but can we spend close to half the cap just on 5 forwards?

I mean shit I wouldn't be against Draisaitl but this sounds like fairytale.

Wouldn't put it past KH, he's a cold MFer.
You guys are setting the whole board for major disapointment. We couldn't manage to sign f****** Perron and Marchessault or old Stamkos, but we gon' land Draisaitl and Canada Boy Crosby? Come on now.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
How much money you ready to give the dude? We already have 23M$ on our first line, if we give him 17M$ with terms (anything under that will easily be beat), that 40M$ for 4 forwards. Draisaitl is a top G but can we afford this long term, add Demidov who will most likely do 7-8 by the time he is 21. I won't do the full math now but can we spend close to half the cap just on 5 forwards?

I’m giving him a blank cheque, gotta pay to play

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We can make traded of significance right now, but not from a position if strength.

So some want Zegras, and I'm sure we can have him but the price is likely Guhle. So we accomplish what ? Guhle is like our no.2 Dman and there is not anyone who has proven themselves to be top 3. Zegras is a for sure 2nd line player and maybe 1st liner with sick hands. So we fill a gap and create a bigger one at a more important position.

We need extra. So for example both Beck and Kapanen show they can be 3C with upside. Or Xheraj and Struble are physical no 4 D men, trade one.

When we trade just to trade and not fill a key spot we get Drouin for Sergachev.

I really believe in a year we will be in a good position to make trades and sign UFAs if we need to go that way..

Reactions: TesseractPrice

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
So some want Zegras, and I'm sure we can have him but the price is likely Guhle. So we accomplish what ? Guhle is like our no.2 Dman and there is not anyone who has proven themselves to be top 3. Zegras is a for sure 2nd line player and maybe 1st liner with sick hands. So we fill a gap and create a bigger one at a more important position.
Fully agree.

We can make traded of significance right now, but not from a position if strength.

We need extra. So for example both Beck and Kapanen show they can be 3C with upside. Or Xheraj and Struble are physical no 4 D men, trade one.

When we trade just to trade and not fill a key spot we get Drouin for Sergachev.

I really believe in a year we will be in a good position to make trades and sign UFAs if we need to go that way..
Beck, Struble and Kapanen won't land you anything. You won't get elite talent from a set of assorted garbage.

Our only hope at salvation is through the draft. We already did well with Slaf, Rein (maybe?) and Demidov. Still some time left to draft another key piece (before Suzuki and Caufield start throwing tantrum from what I am understanding).

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

You guys are setting the whole board for major disapointment. We couldn't manage to sign f****** Perron and Marchessault or old Stamkos, but we gon' land Draisaitl and Canada Boy Crosby? Come on now.

We weren't giving any of those guys the term they were looking for. As for Crosby, once we sign Draisaitl, he'll accept whatever we give him.

As for the cap, we'll have young cheap talent to balance it, we are not the leafs.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Fully agree.

Beck, Struble and Kapanen won't land you anything. You won't get elite talent from a set of assorted garbage.

Our only hope at salvation is through the draft. We already did well with Slaf, Rein (maybe?) and Demidov. Still some time left to draft another key piece (before Suzuki and Caufield start throwing tantrum from what I am understanding).
I don't mean trading Beck, Kapanen or Struble now. That's the last thing we should do. My example is IF Beck and Kapanen turn into 3Cs with maybe upside, then we trade one and we get good value back. Same with Struble if he looks like like legit 4D.

Reactions: Expos94

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Fully agree.

Beck and Kapanen are not garbage and I am sure GM's know how good they are. They won't return a top young player though unless a team needs to move one and needs a lot of help.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
You have us, which is HUGE

Certainly is nice to be back active on the board. I kinda lost myself without the MB hate that drove me to the post count I have now. I need to remember being happy about the progress of the team.

I was disapointed in the UFA market for the Habs this summer, but I have full confidence in KH to make this a winning team.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
Certainly is nice to be back active on the board. I kinda lost myself without the MB hate that drove me to the post count I have now. I need to remember being happy about the progress of the team.

I was disapointed in the UFA market for the Habs this summer, but I have full confidence in KH to make this a winning team.

Yes , I thought they may land one big fish as well. Here's hoping KH delivers.
We've been through some dark times , some of us ... longer than others ;)

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Signing Crosby and Draisaitl next summer is gonna be crazy
I'd literally ruin the rebuild to sign Sid idgaf.

Favorite player of all time on my favorite team of all time. Dreams are made of it.

I want the fact that Lemieux hates the new owners of the Pens to sway him to leave. It will NEVER happen but I can dream,

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I grew up in Ontario when the Habs were close to potentially moving in the late 90s and early 00s when the sens and Leafs were top teams in the league.

Getting trolled alllll the time.

• Haha
Reactions: Habs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Rumors are the Habs are in deep talks for Laine so Hughes, Gorton, MSL, and probably Suzuki want him to join our team. Laine has top end skill with his shot and he's not a problem child. He's going through a problem and I believe Montreal brings out the best from him.

I don't know of a single "rumour" involving Laine to the Habs that is not egregiously transparent clickbait or fan generated nonsense. There are no rumours about Laine that are coming from Laine, Columbus or Montreal so to further conflate fan speculation with rumours you double down by saying that Huges, Gorton and MSL like him and Suzuki also likely wants him lol.....come on you are feeding yourself your own rumours and are stuck in a circular logic hurricane that is spreading disinformation all over this thread.

To also state that he is not a problem despite the mountain of evidence to refute that position is more evidence that your echo chamber is not allowing rational debate to breach it's boundaries.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Pretty sure that a Laine’s deal he just killed.
Kent, use your cap space for one UFA and then swing three deals.

First,
Trouba and Kakko versus Savard and Struble

Second,
Laine versus Anderson and a 2nd

Third,
Sign Tarasenko 1 year $5.5-6.0M

Plus hockey trade,
Rights to McGroarty (with assurance of signing) versus Mesar and Farrell

• Haha
Reactions: GrandmaCookie

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

Who ever was selling the Stamkos link between him, St. Louis and Lecavalier.... I was buying. Our little group had one of the guys all in on Marchessault; I was able to get behind him. But hearing now that he could have been a hab was interesting to hear.

Now comes to hard part of landing a UFA. The obvious names is Draisaitl as a pipe dream. Rantanen next. Crosby would be fun just to have him wear a habs jersey before he retires. Marner with a light paycut, does that even make sense? Boeser? Marchand? :O

Reactions: HitHard and Habs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Kent, use your cap space for one UFA and then swing three deals.

First,
Trouba and Kakko versus Savard and Struble

Second,
Laine versus Anderson and a 2nd

Third,
Sign Tarasenko 1 year $5.5-6.0M

Plus hockey trade,
Rights to McGroarty (with assurance of signing) versus Mesar and Farrell
Trouba’s not leaving until his wife is done her residency

Zero chance Chevaldayoff accepts that deal for McGroarty - first off Jets favor big bodied F, secondly their need is RD and any deal would likely need to start w Redenbacher or Mailloux as the offer

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I don’t believe the UFA route will ever works for us so my focus is on the trade market. and I already accept that nothing of substance will happen this offseason.

So my targets for next offseason season :

Kaprizov : Will have 1 season left on his contract and can be extended. If négociations fail, Minnesota will make him disponible. Maybe playing with Demidov coupled with big money contract could convince him to sign with us.

Rasmus Andersson : Same situation. 1 season left. But unlike Kaprizov, the chances Calgary trade Andersson is quite high.

Major Pieces I would dangle:

Matheson
Mailloux
2025´s MTL 1st (around 10OA)
2025 Calgary/Florida 1st
2025 MTL 2nd
Beck

2025-2026 lineup

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Demidov-Dach-Kaprizov
Newhook-Kapanen-Roy
Gallagher-Evans-Anderson

Guhle-Andersson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Engstrom
Struble-Harris

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I read your post.

1) I don't care about it being creditable or not. I personally believe the report is accurate and we are in serious talks with Laine. He fits our top 6F search and his term left does not mortgage our future. Cost to acquire is also something we can manage.

2) I am sure Gorton/Hughes will send a contract back if we do trade for Laine. You don't have to believe me but I am sure we have plans to place Price on LTIR after the season starts, not before. Adding Laine with no contract going the other way will result in forcing us to put Price on LTIR before the season starts which has challenges we prefer to avoid.

The parts I listed are parts we are considering. It's not all the parts added together bud. A low offer would be Armia, Habs and Pens 2nd, and Barron. A high offer is what you listed but we won't do that.
Ok, because it feels like you're trying to convince me of something that i've already said we agree upon. Getting Laine fits contract wise and could be a good gamble as a stop gap.

Sending a contract back would make things easier for sure, but they still don't have to, even if they place Price on LTIR after the season starts, if Laine comes in at 7.8M.
Dvorak has a NTC and they need Armia now that he can't be replaced with a UFA anymore.

I didn't say that the parts are added together. Again, you seem to not read properly.
Even giving just one of those parts is overpaying. He has negative value at full salary and is probably not a long term solution. Doesn't make sense to give a good asset for him.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I think that's overly optimistic IMO. I hope we see a trade for some immediate help as well but I'm not expecting it.

Don't forget that every other team expects improvements and based on what's been done, I feel like they're a lot more justified than us in that feeling.

If things stand as they do today, forget a 10th place finish. I'd be flabbergasted if that happened.

How big of a leap do we expect from guys like Harris, Struble and Xhekaj? And to become what?

It came out yesterday that the league doesn't value our young D the way Hughes does and I don't think the league is particularly wrong on that one. They're dime-a-dozen guys. Decent enough but they don't tilt the ice one bit.
The league doesn't value our young D the way Hughes does?
Where does that come from?

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No PPG superstar UFA will ever sign in Montreal.
Wouldn't call him a superstar but Cammalleri was a PPG 40 goal scorer when we signed him. Jagr came to us wanting to sign but MB said no and Jagr went on to have several 65+ seasons.

Just because Bergevin was incompetent at his job doesn't mean Montreal is inherently incapable of signing star players. We'll never be LA, Florida, or NYR level of attractiveness where every UFA wants to sign, but that doesn't mean we are in the Buffalo/Winnipeg tier either.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Now was not the time to sign Perron or Marchy. Stamkos went for the money, otherwise he would’ve stayed in Tampa. Stammer and Marchessault are the only players I’d sign and both went for top dollar, good for them. Hughes tried to get one of them, so he sees it the same way: you either sign an actual roster improvement or you don’t… to bother with the marginal stuff is a waste of time.

Hughes is a competitive guy he will want to win and win a lot. I didn’t trust him before and wanted to get back in the playoff/buying/winning saddle immediately but two events changed things… 1) Slafkovsky woke the f up, he roared awake actually and 2) Demidov fell to the Habs.

We do need upgrades across the roster but there weren’t many options on the market who would be cap-effective. With the higher cap teams spent like drunken sailors on shore leave. We are not under any pressure to compete so why sign clearly cap-ineffective contracts? We don’t need a bridge or iterative step right now… we have MFing Demidov coming. The players who matter are competitive, happy, developing. The ones who don’t matter are declining but they’re also impossible to deal with… at least two or three of them will see their contracts expire this coming season though.

We’ll only know what we really need when Demidov gets in and shows how far along he is on his development path. Maybe though, next summer Hughes will target and get roster upgrades and bulk up. I hope so.

This year? Let’s see what trade opportunities come up. We have draft picks to trade, cap space, and a bunch of low value prospects like Farrell.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Now was not the time to sign Perron or Marchy. Stamkos went for the money, otherwise he would’ve stayed in Tampa. Stammer and Marchessault are the only players I’d sign and both went for top dollar, good for them. Hughes tried to get one of them, so he sees it the same way: you either sign an actual roster improvement or you don’t… to bother with the marginal stuff is a waste of time.

Hughes is a competitive guy he will want to win and win a lot. I didn’t trust him before and wanted to get back in the playoff/buying/winning saddle immediately but two events changed things… 1) Slafkovsky woke the f up, he roared awake actually and 2) Demidov fell to the Habs.

We do need upgrades across the roster but there weren’t many options on the market who would be cap-effective. With the higher cap teams spent like drunken sailors on shore leave. We are not under any pressure to compete so why sign clearly cap-ineffective contracts? We don’t need a bridge or iterative step right now… we have MFing Demidov coming. The players who matter are competitive, happy, developing. The ones who don’t matter are declining but they’re also impossible to deal with… at least two or three of them will see their contracts expire this coming season though.

We’ll only know what we really need when Demidov gets in and shows how far along he is on his development path. Maybe though, next summer Hughes will target and get roster upgrades and bulk up. I hope so.

This year? Let’s see what trade opportunities come up. We have draft picks to trade, cap space, and a bunch of low value prospects like Farrell.
Well said. If Demidov hits then we've arguably already built a very strong top-9 but there's still a bunch of unknowns which only get answered with more NHL games.

And it's the same with the D, we've got a very strong group of young guys/prospects. Right now it's basically impossible to say whether we will need more puck movement, more defensively responsible guys, more size/physicality, etc... We have elements for all of it, but the guys are too inexperienced at the NHL level for us to accurately judge what will become the primary need.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know of a single "rumour" involving Laine to the Habs that is not egregiously transparent clickbait or fan generated nonsense. There are no rumours about Laine that are coming from Laine, Columbus or Montreal so to further conflate fan speculation with rumours you double down by saying that Huges, Gorton and MSL like him and Suzuki also likely wants him lol.....come on you are feeding yourself your own rumours and are stuck in a circular logic hurricane that is spreading disinformation all over this thread.

To also state that he is not a problem despite the mountain of evidence to refute that position is more evidence that your echo chamber is not allowing rational debate to breach it's boundaries.

2 year term and probably a manageable cost to acquire. RW which we can use in our top 6? Yup, I believe we are in on Laine. It fits.

It's a discussion. If you don't like the idea, don't talk about it.

Reactions: Pat Riot and BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad