Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Yeah, the Devils haven’t made significant strides and Markstrom is average to once in blue moon above average.

Lmao if that’s what someone is inferring.
look im gonna rag on Lou but I feel like the isles with a better PK, trenin, Lomberg, and MR a full year makes this roster much better. They do not need a top tier winger. that will not fix everything in one swoop

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
look im gonna rag on Lou but I feel like the isles with a better PK, trenin, Lomberg, and MR a full year makes this roster much better. They do not need a top tier winger. that will not fix everything in one swoop
Top tier winger is a fools errand for this team. It’s a Tkachuk type via Barzal or readjust the bottom 6, re-up Reilley, and Sorokin gets his head on and Isles will make the playoffs and like anything, see how it goes.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Top tier winger is a fools errand for this team. It’s a Tkachuk type via Barzal or readjust the bottom 6, re-up Reilley, and Sorokin gets his head on and Isles will make the playoffs and like anything, see how it goes.
Isles need bottom 6 help more than they need top 6 help.

Reactions: Throttle

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Lomberg would mean the end for Clutterbuck and we all know how Lou loves his veterans. I have a strange feeling we’ll see 1 final run of 17-53-15 next season and then the two retire when Matty gets his 1000 games.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
It's a shame if we enter next season marginally different than this season. Lou has tested
each and every way with this team, from very good coaches to minor tweaks of the roster and essentially has nothing overly positive that would at least make us an easy lock for a playoff spot. Now it's possible, he's tried everything to make big changes but, in the end, his asset pool was not something other teams were excited about and was needed to make any changes happen. I'm holding out hope that there is something done, but he didn't want to ruin a player's wedding day by announcing a move. Let's hope, because bigger changes are needed if we want to break this "In the Wildcard mix team"

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Isles need bottom 6 help more than they need top 6 help.
They need help everywhere. They didn’t score enough goals. They gave up too many. Isles are in a tough spot. They need more talent but have put themselves in a tough spot with a lot of long term contracts with movement/trade protection. And the players aren’t really playing up to the contracts. Looks like another run it back type season. Low 90 point team again. Lou seems to be out of ideas.

Reactions: Lights911 and MJF

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
They need help everywhere. They didn’t score enough goals. They gave up too many. Isles are in a tough spot. They need more talent but have put themselves in a tough spot with a lot of long term contracts with movement/trade protection. And the players aren’t really playing up to the contracts. Looks like another run it back type season. Low 90 point team again. Lou seems to be out of ideas.
no i dont get that sense

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Also this second round pick sounds an awful lot like how Bolduc was sold. Smooth skating giant LHD who models game after Hedman. Maybe isles are moving on
I think Bolduc is very much in the future plans of the NYI he’s young and only has limited playing time in the Big’s . His skills will emerge with additional playing time and experience.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Given the current build of our roster, we really have 2 holes in the top 6; one next to Horvat and Barzal and one next to Nelson and Palmieri. As far as I can tell there's no money to bring in a tested top 6 player and there's no way to trade for one without robbing Peter to pay Paul. So those spots will go to two of these players (in descending likelihood):

Holmstrom
Tsyplakov
Iskhakov
Wahlstrom
Maggio
Gauthier
Dufour

This is why if you think Mcgroarty is NHL ready you have to find a way to get him here. You can slot him with Nelson and Palmieri, Tsyplakov with Barzal and Palmieri, and keep Holmstrom on the 4th line where he probably belongs without adding to your cap hit.

Reactions: Lights911 and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
no i dont get that sense
I do. 88-92 point team as is. Or Lou can start trading the 2025 draft picks to open up cap space and relieve the logjam at center.

Looking at this team I’d keep all our future picks. This is not a win now team.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Given the current build of our roster, we really have 2 holes in the top 6; one next to Horvat and Barzal and one next to Nelson and Palmieri. As far as I can tell there's no money to bring in a tested top 6 player and there's no way to trade for one without robbing Peter to pay Paul. So those spots will go to two of these players (in descending likelihood):

Holmstrom
Tsyplakov
Iskhakov
Wahlstrom
Maggio
Gauthier
Dufour

This is why if you think Mcgroarty is NHL ready you have to find a way to get him here. You can slot him with Nelson and Palmieri, Tsyplakov with Barzal and Palmieri, and keep Holmstrom on the 4th line where he probably belongs without adding to your cap hit.
If those are your team’s projected top6 forwards, I frankly find that horrifying.

Might if still work out? Perhaps but that’s an awful plan to start out with.

Reactions: MJF

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
So the team is pretty much set for the season. Tsypalov and McLean for the 4th line. Maybe they look to sign Skinner to give him a top 6 role to redeem himself?

One more forward to plug the remaining hole and that’s it.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Horvat, Barzal, and Nelson are solid top 6 forwards. The whole point is to improve on the others.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So the team is pretty much set for the season. Tsypalov and McLean for the 4th line. Maybe they look to sign Skinner to give him a top 6 role to redeem himself?

One more forward to plug the remaining hole and that’s it.
"When you have time, use it" is a common Lamoriello line.

Why is he moving out contracts without UFAs signed?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
"When you have time, use it" is a common Lamoriello line.

Why is he moving out contracts without UFAs signed?

Lord knows tampering behind the scenes is rampant so no doubt a bunch of the top FAs know where they are going, or at least have it narrowed down to maybe 2-3 teams.

And because once you sign any UFAs (or essentially agree to terms) then you're more desperate to clear out cap space and thus your trade leverage does down.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Lomberg would mean the end for Clutterbuck and we all know how Lou loves his veterans.

I have a strange feeling we’ll see 1 final run of 17-53-15 next season and then the two retire when Matty gets his 1000 games.
Oh please noooooooo. Let’s improve the name on the front of the sweater .The names on the back don’t matter. No Geritol line needed here. Let those kids play..LGI

Reactions: Ishkabible

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Lou is simply too loyal and not creative enough to make enough moves to really improve the roster and quite frankly his insane extensions and overpayments are why we are so limited.

We should be thankful and hopeful with our expectations very, very low. Any expectations of serious moves and improvement to the roster is wishful thinking, instead you limit it to the following:

1) Be thankful he just kept all of his draft picks for a change and we improved our prospect pool

2) Be hopeful he doesn't overpay with any of our own free agents like Reilly or Clutterbuck

3) Be thankful he isn't going to extend Nelson or Palmieri and be hopeful that he trades them at the deadline if we are out of it (or I would argue not a serious cup contender)...

Anything more than that and you are likely going to be disappointed this offseason

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Oh please noooooooo. Let’s improve the name on the front of the sweater .The names on the back don’t matter. No Geritol line needed here. Let those kids play..LGI
Maclean, Tysplakov and Bolduc. Theres your kids. Iskhakov, Maggio, Dufour and Odelius as well if they make it out of camp. Otherwise, what you see is what you get.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Now with the draft over - let's look at what we have -
Holmstrom and Wahlstrom are expected to be qualified so they would get a contract of 1y at .875K.
Tsyplakov is making the team - he does have a performance bonus (1m) - for our sake let's hope he reaches as many as possible.
Assuming Wahlstrom does not get waived or traded and starts with the team.
Also, Ishkahov will also get qualified and his contract would come in at 1y @ .814 - he also needs to pass through waivers.

The 21-man roster below comes in at 84.1 - 3.9m under the cap.

Half of that could go to Mike Reilly and the other half can go to a veteran top 6 who will sign for a little over 2 on a 1-year deal - Atkinson, Tatar, Wheeler, Hoffman, Zucker, JVR, Pacioretty, Beauvillier.
OR
They could try to sign 6th D man for cheap and try to sign someone for at or just over 3 - Skinner, Arvidsson, Henrique, Perron, Sprong, Duclair, Drouin. They could also move Wahlstrom to free up another .875 and get that number closer to 4m.

Forwards

• Tsyplakov (.95) - Horvat (8.5) - Barzal (9.15)
  • ???? - Nelson (6) - Palmieri (5)
  • Lee (7) - JGP (5) - Engvall (3)
  • Maclean (.775) - Cizikas - Holmstrom (.875)
  • Wahlstrom (.875) and Fasching (.775)
Defence
  • Romanov (2.5) - Dobson (4)
  • Pelech (5.75) - Pulock (6.15)
  • ???? - Mayfield (3.5)
  • Bolduc (.8)
Goaltending
  • Sorokin (8.25)
  • Varlamov (2.75)

Top prospects - Bridgeport
  1. Maggio, RW
  2. Iskahakov, LW
  3. Dufour, RW
  4. Jeffries, LW/RW
  5. George, LHD
  6. Thiesing, C
  7. Gill, C
  8. Nurmi, LW
  9. NewKirk, C
  10. Liukas, LW
  11. Kuefler, LW
  12. Thompson, RW
Top Prospects from Europe and NCAA
  1. Eiserman, LW - NCAA
  2. Odelius, LHD - Europe
  3. Nelson, C - NCAA
  4. Pulkkinen, LHD, Europe
  5. Bednarik, C - NCAA
  6. Finley, LW - NCAA
  7. Gamzin, G - KHL
  8. Berg, C - NCAA
  9. Malinen, D - Finland
  10. Gidlof, G - SHL
  11. Schulz, D - NCAA
  12. Veilleux, D - NCAA
Islanders have no prospects in the CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL)

Reactions: Potvottier

scott99

May 13, 2005

I know there is a narrative that the Isles are one of the worst scoring teams in the NHL. But the Isles wound up with the 17th most goals, meaning there are 15 teams that scored less than the Isles. Finished tied for 10th in goals against despite a horrible season from Sorokin. 15th in power play %. Where they were REALLY bad was the penalty kill, dead last in the NHL. Which is weird, because it was a complete 180 from prior years, where the penalty kill was good and the power play was horrible.

I think a comeback season from Sorokin and improvements on the penalty kill can make the Isles an 100+ point team. Plus, I believe in Roy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad