Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It isn't a matter of whether it would be a good move to trade Nelson. I think most of us would agree that it is EXACTLY the type of move Lou should consider as well as finding out what they could get for Palmieri, coming off 30 goals where his value isn't likely to be higher. They are the two players (and arguably only two among the regulars) where we wouldn't have to attach an asset(s) to move them and are likely getting something meaningful back.

Those added picks (perhaps as high as a 1st and 2nd, and maybe as many as 3 high picks/ or perhaps some young top end prospects- coupled with our 1st rounder and (2) 2nd rounders we currently have) and $11 million in payroll would go a long way to adding some much needed skill and youth to this team- which everyone can agree is built upon the futures of Barzal (27), Dobson (24), Sorokin (28-which is relatively young for a G) and to a lesser extent both of Horvat (29) and Romanov (24)...

Who wouldn't want that??

But reality is realizing who our GM is and that isn't how he operates and I have seen little to nothing to suggest he is going to make these type of moves, whether you want to call it a partial rebuild or whatever.

It simply isn't going to happen

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think to be prefectly accurate we should add "Re-Gurgitate" to the end of the thread's title.

Realistically, Lou ain't trading the leading goal-scorer on a goal-starved team this summer unless it's part of a series of moves that replaces Nelson**. And as for "trade Player X at the TDL if we're out of it...", I'll bet Lou has a different definition of "out of it" than we do! :laugh:

**I'll make up a probably unrealistic, unbalanced, unlikely example: Pelech, JGP and a 1st round pick to OTT for Pinto, Chychrun and Joseph. Hope Pinto can be 2C. Trade Nelson for assets that includes a young top 6 NHL winger.

Reactions: Throttle

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Moving out of Nelson (and Palmieri) would clear 11 m cap space as well add prospects/ picks to the cupboard to develop or use to bring in NHL players that fit with the core of Dobson, Barzal, Sorokin, Romanov, Horvat.

To be fair - It would make these decisions easier if Isles could attract top flight free agents to sign with us … because trading for Ehlers and then signing a Guentzel or Marchessault makes it easier to move both Palmieri and Nelson to get younger and add picks/prospects

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Moving out of Nelson (and Palmieri) would clear 11 m cap space as well add prospects/ picks to the cupboard to develop or use to bring in NHL players that fit with the core of Dobson, Barzal, Sorokin, Romanov, Horvat.

To be fair - It would make these decisions easier if Isles could attract top flight free agents to sign with us … because trading for Ehlers and then signing a Guentzel or Marchessault makes it easier to move both Palmieri and Nelson to get younger and add picks/prospects
Lou is toooooo old to remember how to wheel and deal. He can't put together a strings trades...He losing his train of thought.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Re. Nelson and Palmieri:
Thing is, you could move them out now for at least one current young NHLer with promise and a few futures and then just go out and sign a few of the current UFAs to end up being probably every bit as successful or unsuccessful as we are now with Nelson and Palmieri.

The team and its offensive approach would look a bit different but replace Nelson with Henrique and Palms with Roslovic or Sprong, and let Roy do his thing.

Just, in this scenario, you'll have a few more promising futures cooking in the oven while making that same playoff push you've had to do with balls to the wall the past two springs anyways.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't understand why we are talking about Nelson and Parms being traded. There's no way in Hell Lou is dealing either of them. I think that's pretty clear knowing Lou.

I don't understand why this continually gets brought up. If we only commented on what we knew Lou was doing we might as well shut down the forum.

This is a roster, rumors, speculation, and trade talk thread. That's what is going to happen here, regardless of whether or not we think Lamoriello will actually do the things we want (he won't by the way, until he does).

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
I don't understand why this continually gets brought up. If we only commented on what we knew Lou was doing we might as well shut down the forum.

This is a roster, rumors, speculation, and trade talk thread. That's what is going to happen here, regardless of whether or not we think Lamoriello will actually do the things we want (he won't by the way, until he does).
It’s a summer time Tuesday night. Yes, I’m willing to speculate on the Isles future

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011

I'm not trying to be an Ass or anything. I'm just saying

In that case, I say we talk non-stop about Lou and our beloved Isles making a deals for Matthews, TKachuk and maybe Maker

Because as much of a fantasy that is, that's the same as Lou admitting and breaking down team this offseason and trading Nelson and Parms.

I understand it's a "Fan" forum and people are going to bring up all sorts of options...I just think it's just a waste talking about it, IMO - Actually its more depressing consistently thinking about it. LOL

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Re. Nelson and Palmieri:
Thing is, you could move them out now for at least one current young NHLer with promise and a few futures and then just go out and sign a few of the current UFAs to end up being probably every bit as successful or unsuccessful as we are now with Nelson and Palmieri.

The team and its offensive approach would look a bit different but replace Nelson with Henrique and Palms with Roslovic or Sprong, and let Roy do his thing.

Just, in this scenario, you'll have a few more promising futures cooking in the oven while making that same playoff push you've had to do with balls to the wall the past two springs anyways.

A-fickin-men to this post.

This would be smarter GM'ing than what our hall of fame GM has been doing (and will likely do again this summer).

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't understand why we are talking about Nelson and Parms being traded. There's no way in Hell Lou is dealing either of them. I think that's pretty clear knowing Lou.

100% truth, but if our GM was creative, proactive, and not so predictable then most of us wouldn't have to keep coming on here and make productive suggestions to improve this franchise's chances of winning a Cup again.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
100% truth, but if our GM was creative, proactive, and not so predictable then most of us wouldn't have to keep coming on here and make productive suggestions to improve this franchise's chances of winning a Cup again.
LOL, I can't argue with that logic - Touche you got me

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What I want is just two new guys on the bottom 6 and removal of Doug Houda

What it should be is Trenin and Lombert in for Cal and Martin

Lucky for you, the Isles have a GM who just loves trading 1st for middle/bottom 6 players, so I think you're going to get your wish this offseason.

That said...Please no complaining next March when the Isles are struggling to make the. playoffs yet again.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
It isn't a matter of whether it would be a good move to trade Nelson. I think most of us would agree that it is EXACTLY the type of move Lou should consider as well as finding out what they could get for Palmieri, coming off 30 goals where his value isn't likely to be higher. They are the two players (and arguably only two among the regulars) where we wouldn't have to attach an asset(s) to move them and are likely getting something meaningful back.

Those added picks (perhaps as high as a 1st and 2nd, and maybe as many as 3 high picks/ or perhaps some young top end prospects- coupled with our 1st rounder and (2) 2nd rounders we currently have) and $11 million in payroll would go a long way to adding some much needed skill and youth to this team- which everyone can agree is built upon the futures of Barzal (27), Dobson (24), Sorokin (28-which is relatively young for a G) and to a lesser extent both of Horvat (29) and Romanov (24)...

Who wouldn't want that??

But reality is realizing who our GM is and that isn't how he operates and I have seen little to nothing to suggest he is going to make these type of moves, whether you want to call it a partial rebuild or whatever.

It simply isn't going to happen
I agree with you. It's doubtful Palms has any more seasons like last year, and Brock will likely start his decline imminently. I also don't think Brock is the type of guy that has what it takes to win gritty playoff series.

Reactions: Potvottier

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
@periferal. Sorry couldnt figure out how to quote a different post.

Yes i read all of that and of course i understand. I didnt say trading nelson was a bad idea. I said trading him now was.

Not to mention id need a new clever screen name.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I agree with you. It's doubtful Palms has any more seasons like last year, and Brock will likely start his decline imminently. I also don't think Brock is the type of guy that has what it takes to win gritty playoff series.
Watching Brock , he’s the closest thing we have to a shit disturber which works in well for a playoff series but would move him to get younger and faster in the right deal.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Watching Brock , he’s the closest thing we have to a shit disturber which works in well for a playoff series but would move him to get younger and faster in the right deal.
He's definitely a verbal shit disturber, but just watching the absolute physical brutality of the finals, I picture Brock coming off the ice with nary a bead of sweat with his jersey looking like it was just dry cleaned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad