Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Just completely absent defensively and not good enough offensively to make up for it.
He gets a lot of points from touching the puck vs driving play or shots.

His 70 points is a bit inflated since he’s probably really a -20 against that and also good for 7-10 lost points per season based on his gaffes.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Can't imagine any team willing to do that has the cap space for it without significant money coming back.
That's true, and I'm game for money in money out if there's a fit. Unfortunately like you mention I may have more success in NHL Be a GM Mode dealing in a trade like that.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
That's true, and I'm game for money in money out if there's a fit. Unfortunately like you mention I may have more success in NHL Be a GM Mode dealing in a trade like that.
CGY ANA and CBJ are the only teams that could fit Barzal or Dobson+Barzal. The next team is SJS with only 8.6 mil in cap.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The next 3 games are against Anaheim, Columbus and Buffalo. I’m with you but the mood on this board may be way different in another week.

As with most seasons, it’s probably fairest to give it 20 games before any conclusions are made.

Personally I believe this viewpoint is the problem...It's not needing to wait "20 games into a season" - It's multiple seasons now of things not being good enough around here. I mean a year from now are we supposed to wait about 20 games into the 25-26 season to see how things are going? If you truly want to have a chance at winning a Cup and expect those kind of standards from your ownership/GM/coaches/players, then enough is enough already.

If you don't have enough information to understand that Trotz was not only the main reason for our success years ago, there's basically no one like him in the coaching ranks to get now, but eve if we could get him back....This team is less talented and much older, and our GM's work is leading us no higher than an aging fringe playoff team - Yet somehow up against the cap every season, then we have to assume that you're never going to see things for what they are.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The ROI for Dougie Weight hockey is two first round picks: one, that keeps getting chance after chance and sucks, the other, all offense, scaried cat defensively and soon to get paid $9M. Yikes!

But the rebuild will only bring better returns. Guaranteed.

Yeah - And who was the GM that made those 2 picks you seem to be a big fan of?

And this head in the sand attitude of, "a rebuild doesn't guarantee anything," is just weak, narrow-minded thinking. It's impossible to argue with the "I want life to guarantee me something or I won't take any new action" crowd. There's no guarantee you won't die in a car accident this week - So let's not drive anywhere! Can't say you'll get much done, but at least you won't possibly die. Congrats on being uber-safe.

Even worse when someone who wants a continuously failing way to approach something to continue in perpetuity, and yet will make fun of a possible new/successful way that of course will have risk.

You want a guarantee...? I've got one for you- The longer Lou stays on board as GM, the slowly worse this team will get until all of sudden they are a lottery team every year. If Lou stays on as GM another 3-5 years I'd bet you're going to watch the Islanders have to go through a "forced rebuild" - Regardless of how good you want the Isles to be or how you would build the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad